Otherwise identical RAM has different chips - still dual channel?

Hi everyone,

I'm creating this post somewhat cautiously - I'm rather new to this forum and I thiiiiiink I'm posting this question in the right place! If not, please let me know where to repost.

I bought two G.Skill memory dimms from a local store during the week for an upcoming build. They were not bundled as part of a kit. Looking at them just now I have noticed the chips on the dimms appear to be made by different manufactureres. One has an "S" in a 45 degree rotated square, while the other has the Memorex logo. The manufacture dates are also different. The product numbers, capacity, speed, and everything else is identical.

Obviously I would like to run these sticks in dual channel mode, but that requires identical sticks to work most effectively. Would I run into any problems using these dimms together in dual channel, or do I not need to bother the local store about it? (They gave me a very nice discount, so I don't really want to be /that person/ if I can avoid it.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

You shouldn't run into any issues. RAM will work as long as the board and CPU can detect the sticks in the proper slots.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Can you give us the item numbers on the stickers? I'm actually curious what sticks they are.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

You shouldn't run into any issues. RAM will work as long as the board and CPU can detect the sticks in the proper slots.

And having different memory chips won't cause issues?

I was reading a thread from 2007 on Tech Support Forum about this, and one user gave a very detailed reply which suggests different chips caused problems: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f210/buy-as-dual-channel-kit-or-2-identical-rams-142281.html#post804991

Of course, a decade has passed since then and modern tech might be different.

The ram is G.Skill, but not the fancy stuff. I'm posting from bed (hi from Australia) and the RAM is in another room so I'll have to get back to you on that one sorry!

The ones with S are probably Samsung made memory chips.

The "Memorex" ones are probably made by Micron

Both are good memory manufacturers, though for Ryzen in theory the Samsung ones are slightly better (as in easier to overclock and reach better timings etc).

Otherwise, no problems mixing them and all that.

Dual Channel compatibility has come a long way since 2007 - that was literally 10 years ago. Basically, a proper dual channel kit has been tested and verified by the manufacturer to work in dual channel mode.

However, generally speaking, RAM that has the exact same specs (Freq + timings) will usually work totally fine in Dual Channel, even if the chips themselves are made by different vendors. Hell, even different RAM manufacturers (eg: Corsair + G.Skill) can sometimes work if they also match the same specs.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The ones with S are probably Samsung made memory chips.

The "Memorex" ones are probably made by Micron

Both are good memory manufacturers, though for Ryzen in theory the Samsung ones are slightly better (as in easier to overclock and reach better timings etc).

Otherwise, no problems mixing them and all that.

Oh, yep, whoops - that was indeed Micron! It's 4am here and it's showing haha.

I had assumed those were Samsung as well until I googled what Samsung modules look like. It's certainly not the Samsung logo.

Yeah, I'd heard that about Samsung and Ryzen too. This is a Ryzen build so if I can confirm these are indeed Samsung chips, I'll stick with them.

Thanks for your help!

7 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Dual Channel compatibility has come a long way since 2007 - that was literally 10 years ago. Basically, a proper dual channel kit has been tested and verified by the manufacturer to work in dual channel mode.

However, generally speaking, RAM that has the exact same specs (Freq + timings) will usually work totally fine in Dual Channel, even if the chips themselves are made by different vendors. Hell, even different RAM manufacturers (eg: Corsair + G.Skill) can sometimes work if they also match the same specs.

Yeah, as previously stated I thought things might have changed somewhat over the last decade.

I'm being extra cautious because I'll be running Ryzen and I know Ryzen can perform a little better if RAM is just right.

Thank you for your help!

Just now, WillPJK said:

Oh, yep, whoops - that was indeed Micron! It's 4am here and it's showing haha.

I had assumed those were Samsung as well until I googled what Samsung modules look like. It's certainly not the Samsung logo.

Yeah, I'd heard that about Samsung and Ryzen too. This is a Ryzen build so if I can confirm these are indeed Samsung chips, I'll stick with them.

Yeah, as previously stated I thought things might have changed somewhat over the last decade.

I'm being extra cautious because I'll be running Ryzen and I know Ryzen can perform a little better if RAM is just right.

Basically, if it works then it works. So if you've tested it and it's running in Dual Channel already, then you are good to go.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Basically, if it works then it works. So if you've tested it and it's running in Dual Channel already, then you are good to go.

I'll be ordering the CPU on Monday and will probably build later in the week. I'm checking now before testing because my local store only had one other RAM stick of this type and they weren't planning to get any more in. If I need to swap I should do so before that stick goes into another build. But from what you're saying, I don't need to worry. Thanks again for your help :)

And also thanks to @ARikozuM for your input. I didn't say that earlier.