Adding watercooler to R9 290x

Hey guys,

I recently grabbed a second hand 290x (reference design) to use for a mining rig and its sitting at 90 degrees with the stock profile so I have to crank the fan on it which makes it super loud. I was wondering if there was a way to mount a cpu watercooler to it and have some heatsinks on the VRMS with a small fan on it? I know theres things like the Corsair HG10 and the NZXT Kraken g12 but I was trying to do this for as cheap as possible. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

I think something like a G12 is pretty cheap ($10 ish). There isn't much of a better way than mounting a cpu cooler to the gpu somehow

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I think something like a G12 is pretty cheap ($10 ish). There isn't much of a better way than mounting a cpu cooler to the gpu somehow

I live in Brisbane, Aus so its hard to find them at a retailer and online they're just too expensive.

I was almost considering just zip trying it on 

8 hours ago, sandals100 said:

Hey guys,

I recently grabbed a second hand 290x (reference design) to use for a mining rig and its sitting at 90 degrees with the stock profile so I have to crank the fan on it which makes it super loud. I was wondering if there was a way to mount a cpu watercooler to it and have some heatsinks on the VRMS with a small fan on it? I know theres things like the Corsair HG10 and the NZXT Kraken g12 but I was trying to do this for as cheap as possible. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA

An AIO wont be that much of a good thing for power hungry card like that. Although it will help but cards like the AMD Xsssss use alot of power and their VRM sections must be cooled as well. Also this card has memory chips all close to each other which will generate their own heat. So if you cant go with full water block use at-least 2 good fans on the GPU along with the AIO and some copper small heat sinks covering all the HEATERS.

Zip ties work just fine just make sure u balance the water block part evenly

9 hours ago, sandals100 said:

I live in Brisbane, Aus so its hard to find them at a retailer and online they're just too expensive.

I was almost considering just zip trying it on 

Zip tying may be your best bet xD. You could always try looking online for someone selling an aftermarket 290x cooler without the gpu though it's probably unlikely you'd find one.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

17 hours ago, DIY tech said:

An AIO wont be that much of a good thing for power hungry card like that. Although it will help but cards like the AMD Xsssss use alot of power and their VRM sections must be cooled as well. Also this card has memory chips all close to each other which will generate their own heat. So if you cant go with full water block use at-least 2 good fans on the GPU along with the AIO and some copper small heat sinks covering all the HEATERS.

Zip ties work just fine just make sure u balance the water block part evenly

It'll surely be better than the current blower which is all I care for at the moment. I was planning on buying heat sinks for all the places that currently have a thermal pad connecting it to the main body of the cooler. I haven't been able to find too many waterblocks for this card anymore.

14 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Zip tying may be your best bet xD. You could always try looking online for someone selling an aftermarket 290x cooler without the gpu though it's probably unlikely you'd find one.

Yeah I haven't had any luck the arctic accelero is 200$ alone which I am not willing to pay in the slightest for cards I got for ~220$.

4 hours ago, sandals100 said:

It'll surely be better than the current blower which is all I care for at the moment. I was planning on buying heat sinks for all the places that currently have a thermal pad connecting it to the main body of the cooler. I haven't been able to find too many waterblocks for this card anymore.

If are going to add heatsinks those 14x14mm ones then u will be fine. Get copper ones if u can. Rest your noise levels will drop by alot with the AIO. dont forget to share when u are done with the MOD :)

On 9/2/2017 at 6:09 PM, DIY tech said:

If are going to add heatsinks those 14x14mm ones then u will be fine. Get copper ones if u can. Rest your noise levels will drop by alot with the AIO. dont forget to share when u are done with the MOD :)

Sorry for the late reply.

Was just about to go ahead with the mod when someone came fourth on a local sales page with a 290 block that fits so I've dropped my idea of jerry rigging it and decided to do it properly. Only issue is the pump he gave me is clogged or something I can head it spinning and moving a bit of air but it doesn't pump any water at all so my plans are on hold again :(

Does it hummmm or rotate ? i mean can u feel it if its spinning or not ?

I dont think it can be clogged to a point where the outlet or inlet closes. 

On 06/09/2017 at 4:59 PM, DIY tech said:

Does it hummmm or rotate ? i mean can u feel it if its spinning or not ?

I dont think it can be clogged to a point where the outlet or inlet closes. 

Well initially it was spinning /humming and I could feel a bit of air. So I pulled it apart and it was clean on the fins so I put it back together now it just doesn't do anything at all not sure whats up with it but I've given up on it as I don't want it dying when I'm not home

I noticed that one of the leads from the magnet coil had come off the underside of the pcb which would have probably been the reason why its dead now however I can't find the wire that's fallen to resolder it