Should i be worried?

NunoLava1998

Hello! Today, my tablet couldn't stop randomly playing the "Mom, get the camera!" sound effect every sometimes (soemstimes it was 20 minutes between and sometimes 10 hours). I uninstalled some applications that i suspected could cause it, but it still played. After this, i did a factory reset. I'm currently logging into my Google account, but should i be worried about my personal information? This has only been going today, so i guess not much could be affected, but still, is this a thing to worry about?

I'm especially paranoid because of stuff like this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2211108/Could-phones-camera-secretly-taking-pictures-right-Hackers-use-lens-steal-private-data--build-3D-model-home.html

Can anyone give me an opinion?

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

I personally wouldn't worry too much about it. If you suspect of hacking on the machine/tablet then I would check your internet and networking logs for weird or out of place packet transmission/receiving or your connection history from the network. If anything looks out of place I would report it to your ISP so they can block it off of their servers or prevent it with their firewalls. Or even set up your own networking firewall to prevent it.

And that doesn't happen too much I don't think. (could be wrong so don't quote me on it.)

But honestly it was probably just a virus you picked up from somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm. This is actually sort of hilarious. I seriously doubt somebody who is trying to maliciously steal your information (or picture) would make your ipad randomly emit "MOM, get the camera!" They would try to make their malicious software as inconspicuous as possible, so they could collect the maximum amount of data. The user would try to remove the malicious software (such as through wiping the memory), if the user believe it resided on their system. 

In short, if you're trying to steal information from a user, you don't want the user to know about it.

I heard it some days after installing a app that would play meme sounds and that (Not randomly). It was called "Meme Dashboard". However, after uninstalling it, it still continued (and much more often for some reason).

@djdellarobbiaThough, you talked about the internet logs and that. How do i check them? I'm not an expert in router stuff, so i don't know if there's any unusual traffic on my network. I mean; most things i see in the security logs have 192.168.2.(x) in them, which i assume is pretty normal. I see some unusual ones at the bottom of my router security log, not sure if it is anything:

EDIT: nvm just me looking at satellite imagery, after doing a whois of that, i saw it's actually a satelltie imagery website which i use

Ie02xT7.png

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

@djdellarobbiaThough, you talked about the internet logs and that. How do i check them? I'm not an expert in router stuff, so i don't know if there's any unusual traffic on my network. I mean; most things i see in the security logs have 192.168.2.(x) in them, which i assume is pretty normal. I see some unusual ones at the bottom of my router security log, not sure if it is anything:

Ie02xT7.png

@NunoLava1998 Do you own an isp provided router/one from a store, or did you build your own?

Just now, djdellarobbia said:

@NunoLava1998 Do you own an isp provided router/one from a store, or did you build your own?

I don't know, but i didn't build one. btw, if you see my edit, you see that's actually just me looking at satellite imagery (i do that often), nothing bad, i did a whois of these ip's.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, since i haven't gotten anything on my tablet recently (i did a factory reset).

1 minute ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I don't know, but i didn't build one. btw, if you see my edit, you see that's actually just me looking at satellite imagery (i do that often), nothing bad, i did a whois of these ip's.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, since i haven't gotten anything on my tablet recently (i did a factory reset).

@NunoLava1998Then I wouldn't worry about it too much xD. Glad to be of assistance!

if your tablet runs android, you could try downloading an antivirus app from the play store and scanning it. just to be sure. 

She/Her