Random observation of forum COC vs LTT content

hoodyracoon

Just a random observation, but i have noticed that the forum forbids speaking in much detail about hackintoshes, emulation, and other legal grey areas(not really a place i would talk of such things anyhow, and never had myself). but LTT has videos on those exact things, both a hackintosh and a MAME arcade cabinet,while i understand why( it's easier to just blanket not allowing the topics then deal with the individual legality of each topic posted, something pretty hard to do and time consuming, and have to deal with dmca requests with even legal topics) it still seems slightly hypocritical, but thats just observation, and like i said i do understand why

LTT has videos that keep within certain bounds.

The forums, on the other hand, well, they tend to go further into the shady areas of Hackintoshing and emulation in general.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

It's not that we can't talk about it here on the forums.

It's just that explicitly telling someone how to (sometimes illegally) get something, and to get it working, that is something that's not allowed here on the forums.

Much of it is part of a big gray zone, that is why some try not to bring it up what-so-ever.

Yeah, I think the difference lays within:

"Hey, look at this Hackintosh that I built, it's super cool" and "Hey, look at this Hackintosh that I built, it's super cool. Here is EXACTLY how I sourced the parts, built it and made it go with step by step instructions, links and prices"

I think.

Current Build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 // Mobo: Ryzen AM4 B350 GAMING PLUS ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz // GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon RX 580 Gaming 8GB // SSD: Kingston A400 120GB // HDD: 3 x WD Blue 1TB // PSUCorsair 650M // Case: Corsair 450D // Monitor: LG Ultrawide 29" IPS

Plex Server:

CPU: AMD FX 8350 Black Edition // Mobo: Gigabyte - GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 Micro ATX // RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz // GPU: GeForce GTX 670 // HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB // PSU: Kolink Core Series 500W 80 Plus Certified // Case: AVP Viper Mini Tower

Other:

PS4 Pro // PS3 // Nintendo Switch (Pokemon edition) // Nintendo 3DS // Xbox 360 // iPhone 8 Plus // Macbook Retina 2013

The hackingtosh video was made before it became against Apple's TOS.

So that would explain that.

The MAME video is less easy to defend, just as the removing warranty void if removed sticker video is hard to defend. Those sort of subjects would be locked here in an hour, but that is also because the forum just likes to play it safe 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

18 hours ago, Minibois said:

The MAME video is less easy to defend, just as the removing warranty void if removed sticker video is hard to defend. Those sort of subjects would be locked here in an hour, but that is also because the forum just likes to play it safe 

apple has always had none apple hardware as against tos, but as a said i understand why the forum is different 

On 31/08/2017 at 4:30 AM, hoodyracoon said:

Just a random observation, but i have noticed that the forum forbids speaking in much detail about hackintoshes, emulation, and other legal grey areas(not really a place i would talk of such things anyhow, and never had myself). but LTT has videos on those exact things, both a hackintosh and a MAME arcade cabinet,while i understand why( it's easier to just blanket not allowing the topics then deal with the individual legality of each topic posted, something pretty hard to do and time consuming, and have to deal with dmca requests with even legal topics) it still seems slightly hypocritical, but thats just observation, and like i said i do understand why

The short answer is this:

LMG (Linus Media Group, the actual company) operates from Canada. They have to abide by Canadian Laws.

The LTT forums, while operated by a Canadian Company, is physically located in the US. Therefore, they have to abide by Canadian and American Laws.

Apple can get kind of pushy when it comes to Hackintosh stuff. LMG is legally liable for when a user posts something that is "technically" illegal. If they moderate that content and lock/delete as it comes up? No problem. If they ignore it and let people post stuff, and then Apple goes after them? They're liable and could get sued.

They're basically covering their asses. Unfortunate, but there's not much we can do about it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

On 31/08/2017 at 6:21 AM, Minibois said:

Technically a "Warranty void if removed" sticker is total BS. Not worth a damn thing legally. They can put the sticker there all they want, but they still have to service your item unless you physically broke it or something. The sticker being gone is not enough to legally void a warranty.

With that in mind, the company would likely still try and screw you out of the warranty, and you'd probably have to take them to court - but you would win.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

its okay to talk about stuff like that in a very broad sense, it becomes and issue when people start asking for help on doing it, or creating guides about it.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.