Grounding

MikeDev

i would like to know if you can hook up two ground wires from two separate panels to the same earth rod. Thanks. 

explain better can't understand what you mean ?

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

i would like to know if you can hook up two ground wires from two separate panels to the same earth rod. Thanks. 

You may want to check on another forum.  Is the main and the sub panel in the same building?  I think it is fine if the panels are in the same building but I am not sure.  You should definitely look for an electrical forum. 

You may want to check on another forum.  Is the main and the sub panel in the same building?  I think it is fine if the panels are in the same building but I am not sure.  You should definitely look for an electrical forum. 

yes, they are in the same building

It depends on the local ordinances each township/state is different one town may want 2 grounds the other only one. Check the national electrical code if u in the us they set minimum standards that every one has to follow. As a cable tech we have to follow the nec for grounding out the cable feeds. All new electrical i see now has 2 rods per house with a jumper between the 2 and then one to the cold water. Remember electricity is lazy it always wants the quickest route to ground. Also if your not sure u should consult a licensed electrician a few hundred bucks is better than a few hundred thousand to repair and replace most of your stuff and dont forget nothing can replace your photos and unreplacable items.

Also u need to check with your township some towns require building permits to modify electrical pluming structure and so on. If they catch u you could be forced to stop and possible fines.

Edited by mc141

Also u need to check with your township some towns require building permits to modify electrical pluming structure and so on. If they catch u you could be forced to stop and possible fines.

I forgot to mention this as well.  It may not be an issue if you plan on living there for the rest of your life but it may give you headaches if you go to sell the place.  Plus, if something happens, your insurance company probably won't be too happy.

I forgot to mention this as well.  It may not be an issue if you plan on living there for the rest of your life but it may give you headaches if you go to sell the place.  Plus, if something happens, your insurance company probably won't be too happy.

Thanks for the help. ill seek professional advise