Windows product key

KeFy

Hey

I am getting a new system soon and i want to use my old win 8 product key so that i won't have to buy a new one

Is there any way of finding my current product key in the os since i threw away the box >_<

12 minutes ago, KeFy said:

Hey

I am getting a new system soon and i want to use my old win 8 product key so that i won't have to buy a new one

I highly doubt that will work

btw. new windows 10 keys are ~5-10 €

Just now, Teddy07 said:

yo can deactivate windows on your original computer then uise the product key again on the new one, you just have to have one system running in deactivated mode

As far as I remember, you can right click on Computer (either from windows explorer or start menu if you have it enabled) and under properties, you can see Product ID (Under Windows Activation tab at the bottom).

15 minutes ago, KeFy said:

Hey

Is there any way of finding my current product key in the os since i threw away the box >_<

ProduKey - easy to use and free

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz

10 minutes ago, bigneo said:

As far as I remember, you can right click on Computer (either from windows explorer or start menu if you have it enabled) and under properties, you can see Product ID (Under Windows Activation tab at the bottom).

thats not the key

58 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

Where do you find those kinds of prices? (legit question, no sass I promise :p)

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

Why would it not work?  You can to move a key from one computer to another.  

3 hours ago, purplepenguin202 said:

Where do you find those kinds of prices? (legit question, no sass I promise :p)

Keyseller websites and eBay

I bought my sisters Windows 10 key for ~ 5 € a half year ago on eBay from a guy who had a high rating and sold a lot of keys. No problem so far with the key.

3 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why would it not work?  You can to move a key from one computer to another.  

ok didn't know that. I thought it was restricted somehow like windows 10

Just now, Teddy07 said:

ok didn't know that. I thought it was restricted somehow like windows 10

No.  The worst case is you need to contact customer support at MS to have then activate the key on new hardware for you.  I had a laptop that shipped with Win 10 Home, was upgraded to Win 10 Pro using a Win 8 key and I was able to move that to a a whole new build (Using some of the parts from the laptop in a desktop).  Though MS remoted into the computer for the activation process after I called them.

They were actually surprisingly permissive with it.  I even had a TXT file open on that machine that had 6 different serials in it (All legit, acquired as part of my tuition at colleges I attended) and didn't even find that 

There is a lot of confusion here.

• If you have a RETAIL box copy of Windows 8.x, just install it on your new computer, and enter the same product key. The old system will be deactivated automatically. You can format the old drive. 1x Windows license per PC.

• If you have OEM license, that means that you have a pre-build computer. The License is NOT TRANSFERABLE. The license is sold to the computer manufacture at a deep discount. Product key is stored in the UEFI chip.

• If you have OEM System Builder license (that is the "OEM" license you buy at computer retail stores, or other places), those are also NOT TRANSFERABLE. It locks in with the first motherboard the system is installed on. That is why this license is also sold at a discount.

Windows will not activate, and using any other means to try to activate it (this is also piracy as it goes against the license you agreed upon), risk to void your product key permanently. So now you'll have no Windows on your old and new system. Now, you are stuck buying a new license. This can happen at any time.

Try upgrading the Win8 system to Windows 10 first. I just upgraded a Windows 7 system last week for free, Microsoft hasn't cut off the free upgrades yet even though the period expired. Once it is activated with Windows 10, login with a Microsoft Account and associate the license with the account. Then turn that system off and try activating the new system with the same Microsoft Account. There is zero harm in trying to activate it, it may just take several hours to go through the whole process. Just make sure you are activating the same version, i.e. Home > Home, or Pro > Pro.

25 minutes ago, Patrick3D said:

Try upgrading the Win8 system to Windows 10 first. I just upgraded a Windows 7 system last week for free, Microsoft hasn't cut off the free upgrades yet even though the period expired. Once it is activated with Windows 10, login with a Microsoft Account and associate the license with the account. Then turn that system off and try activating the new system with the same Microsoft Account. There is zero harm in trying to activate it, it may just take several hours to go through the whole process. Just make sure you are activating the same version, i.e. Home > Home, or Pro > Pro.

Only if you reserved your copy. If you are the ones that removed the Get Windows 10 when it came out, then sucks for you. If you didn't, at least not early the tool reserved your copy.