help, new to pc building and think my cpu is too hot

so i Ooverclocked my i7 7700k using an XMP profile, runs at 4.8 GHZ but when i run aida64 it starts to thermal throttle, max about 28% avg. of 5-10% fluctuates every time i run it, i have an AIO on it, but its kinda cheap a Kraken x31. 

At idle it runs at about 30-45 degrees Celsius, and under-load it hits 100 on the hottest core

only thermal throttles when under 100% use, so during video encoding and rendering

is it okay to keep it like this or should i take mesaure to reduce tghis? if so how? 

thanks for any input you can provide 9_9

relid your cpu with liquid metal or better thermal paste, sometimes one core is hotter than others because the TIM doesnt cover the whole die

You're overclocking with a radiator that only uses 1 fan. If you purchased a 240/280/360mm radiator with dual or triple fans you'd have much better cooling.

The x31 only has so much fin density and one fan the heat isn't being dissipated from the loop, at least not effectively.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Bad cooling and bad chip. Of course it will hit 100

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

11 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

You're overclocking with a radiator that only uses 1 fan. If you purchased a 240/280/360mm radiator with dual or triple fans you'd have much better cooling.

The x31 only has so much fin density and one fan the heat isn't being dissipated from the loop, at least not effectively.

He could try sandwiching it between two fans in a push-pull config for a bit better cooling, but I agree that a bigger rad or maybe a beefy air cooler is better. 

Also:

23 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

relid your cpu with liquid metal or better thermal paste, sometimes one core is hotter than others because the TIM doesnt cover the whole die

delidding will help a lot AFAIK. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

33 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

He could try sandwiching it between two fans in a push-pull config for a bit better cooling, but I agree that a bigger rad or maybe a beefy air cooler is better. 

Agreed, but It's been my experience that doing that will yield poor results, hence the suggestion to up the radiator size, either that or just go back to air cooling :)

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

14 hours ago, Hiitchy said:

Agreed, but It's been my experience that doing that will yield poor results, hence the suggestion to up the radiator size, either that or just go back to air cooling :)

a noctua nh d15 is like 3°C cooler than a good 120 rad

You should first start by lowering volatage and clocks slightly as your AIO isnt keeping up with the heat. also i wouldn't recommend delidding as the risk isn't worth the minor temperature improvement. I would recommend buying some good thermal paste such as arctic silver 5. You might need to lower your overclock a bit due to the fact that you are still limited by your aio radiator. Also you whilst in a aida 64 run you should expect temperatures to be up to 80c when overclocked.

Best of Luck

-Cooper

(EDITED: Formerally stated that xmp was for the cpu)

Edited by CoopTheYeti
Correcting my Stupidity

3 minutes ago, CoopTheYeti said:

I would probably  get rid of the XMP profile and oc manually. It will take longer but if your aio (even though its a 120mm) cant cool it then your voltage is too high. This will give you far better temperatures as your voltage will be more stable and at a level your aio can cool. also i wouldn't recommend delidding as the risk isn't worth the minor temperature improvement. I would recommend buying some good thermal paste such as arctic silver 5. You might need to lower your overclock a bit due to the fact that you are still limited by your aio radiator. Also you whilst in a aida 64 run you should expect temperatures to be up to 80c when overclocked.

Best of Luck

-Cooper

XMP is for memory, it has no impact on CPU

Just now, dave_k said:

XMP is for memory, it has no impact on CPU

Oh right yeah lol got a bit confused by "overclocked my i7 7700k using an XMP profile". but he still needs to lower the voltage

1 minute ago, CoopTheYeti said:

Oh right yeah lol got a bit confused by "overclocked my i7 7700k using an XMP profile". but he still needs to lower the voltage

*facepalm*

16 hours ago, Naxi_Mu said:

so i Ooverclocked my i7 7700k using an XMP profile, runs at 4.8 GHZ but when i run aida64 it starts to thermal throttle, max about 28% avg. of 5-10% fluctuates every time i run it, i have an AIO on it, but its kinda cheap a Kraken x31. 

At idle it runs at about 30-45 degrees Celsius, and under-load it hits 100 on the hottest core

only thermal throttles when under 100% use, so during video encoding and rendering

is it okay to keep it like this or should i take mesaure to reduce tghis? if so how? 

thanks for any input you can provide 9_9

maybe you should settle for a lower overclock atm until AIO upgrade or as other suggested, until you decide to delid the CPU

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x, Cooling: Corsair H100i Platinum AIO MOBO: Asus Strix B450 F GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 Founders Edition + Arctic Accelero Xtreme III RAM: 2x8GB ThermalTake ToughRAM White 3200MHz PSU: Corsair RM850x White Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 Evo NVMe CASE: Corsair 275r Airflow White OTHER: White and Orange Cable Extensions ---- MONITOR: Samsung LC32JG5 32" WQHD 1440p VA 144Hz