2 PC streaming

Immrchamp
Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,
19 minutes ago, Immrchamp said:

Hello I'm looking to do a dual PC streaming setup and was wondering how powerful do need the streaming pc has to be. I have a few components laying around and am wondering if it would be enough. I have an i5 4460, a gtx 750ti, and 16gb of ram. Thanks!

I mean you could always test it yourself. From what I have heard of stream pcs the gpu doesn't have to be incredible to get the job done mostly because that is all it will be doing.

Hello I'm looking to do a dual PC streaming setup and was wondering how powerful do need the streaming pc has to be. I have a few components laying around and am wondering if it would be enough. I have an i5 4460, a gtx 750ti, and 16gb of ram. Thanks!

if the streaming PC is the system above then yes that should be powerful enough (assuming your not also gaming on it at the same time) 

please note here though I have a limited (at best) knowledge of streaming so could be wrong about that

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

14 minutes ago, Immrchamp said:

I mean for compressing video, cores are more important than speed, therefore an i7 would be significantly better but it is pretty good

19 minutes ago, Immrchamp said:

I mean you could always test it yourself. From what I have heard of stream pcs the gpu doesn't have to be incredible to get the job done mostly because that is all it will be doing.

27 minutes ago, Immrchamp said:

What seetings are you planning on using (I have no idea of how to do streaming with a second machine but this might be important for others to answer your question)?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

The only problem that most people get is when they tried to stream and record at the same time.

I have i3, I personally tried to stream, 720p 30fps everything is fine, I don't expect running 1080p 60fps, it just not going to happen with my internet bandwith, even 720p 60fps is hard to come by because of it, although the hardware more than capable to do that in some games.

Most big streamers they also record their footage for youtube, so 2nd computer + capture card is necessity for them, but for average users? single computer + dual monitors is all you need to stream. Even single monitor is doable.

26 minutes ago, Immrchamp said:

I have an i5 4460, a gtx 750ti, and 16gb of ram. Thanks!

i have an i5 4590, 1050ti, 16gb ram. i game AND stream on the same machine and it works ok if i use nvenc or superfast x264 preset.  

the 4460 is clocked only 100 MHz lower than the 4590 so it should not be much different.

the games i play eat up around 50-60% CPU so, without a game running, that computer should be able to handle 720p with the fast x264 preset or even better.

a 750ti is fine because if you do use x264 instead of NVENC the Graphics card isn't doing much anyways. 

5 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

The only problem that most people get is when they tried to stream and record at the same time.

I have i3, I personally tried to stream, 720p 30fps everything is fine, I don't expect running 1080p 60fps, it just not going to happen with my internet bandwith, even 720p 60fps is hard to come by because of it, although the hardware more than capable to do that in some games.

Most big streamers they also record their footage for youtube, so 2nd computer + capture card is necessity for them, but for average users? single computer + dual monitors is all you need to stream. Even single monitor is doable.

with OBS you can record + stream at the same time with different bitrates. 

what i did was use x264 at low bitrate (2500kbps) for the stream and nvenc at high bitrate for recording (quality is not that much different to x264 on high bitrates) 

single computer with beefy CPU + dual monitor does a really good job but if the OP has the hardware lying around anyways then why not put it to use?

i highly recommend buying a capture card even when going the single computer way because internal screen capture for some reason does not work on some games in some configurations

i can't screen capture borderlands 2 for example - don't know why exactly but i blame it on my dual monitor setup because my brother has a single monitor and can screen capture borderlands 2 just fine

23 minutes ago, Blebekblebek said:

Most big streamers they also record their footage for youtube, so 2nd computer + capture card is necesity for them, but for average users? single computer + dual monitors is all you need to stream. Even single monitor is doable.

Yea I've been streaming with 1pc 2monitors for a bit but I've been running into some random Issues. Like I click on the other monitor and in minizes the game, even though im in windowed  mode. I just have some components just lying around so I thought I would give it a shot. Thanks for the info though.