Are amd Radeon hd cards good for mining?

I found a Radeon hd 7850 and a Radeon hd 6970 on Craigslist for super cheap and was wondering which was better for zcash mining. Thank you! I can't find the hash rate of these cards on zcash anywhere

Generally AMD cards are better for Ethereum than for zcash.

You should look them up though. Google "Radeon HD 7850 eth hashrate", then input that and the power consumption (total system, add 150W to the card's power for a single monitor, non OC CPU, and remember you can undervolt the card to decrease power consumption and it won't lose performance for eth mining).

Into this calculator: https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Generally AMD cards are better for Ethereum than for zcash.

You should look them up though. Google "Radeon HD 7850 eth hashrate", then input that and the power consumption (total system, add 150W to the card's power for a single monitor, non OC CPU, and remember you can undervolt the card to decrease power consumption and it won't lose performance for eth mining).

Into this calculator: https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/

And cards actually do really well in zcash. My r7 250 gets a higher hash rate than my gtx 760 in zcash mining and it's like a third of the power. My main question is is the 6970 profitable mining? Some cards aren't like the r7 240 which manages 15 h/s but some old cards are still suprisingly good. I guess I could always yolo it. Worse case I sell the card in one of my build and make back the money I burned on it right?

Just now, Legolessed said:

And cards actually do really well in zcash. My r7 250 gets a higher hash rate than my gtx 760 in zcash mining and it's like a third of the power. My main question is is the 6970 profitable mining? Some cards aren't like the r7 240 which manages 15 h/s but some old cards are still suprisingly good. I guess I could always yolo it. Worse case I sell the card in one of my build and make back the money I burned on it right?

Well I haven't gotten into zcash because I mine ether, but just like the 7850 you can get hashrate and power numbers for the card and see if it's profitable using the calculator. If you're adding the card to an already existing system, you can use board power only to estimate its net gains.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Well I haven't gotten into zcash because I mine ether, but just like the 7850 you can get hashrate and power numbers for the card and see if it's profitable using the calculator. If you're adding the card to an already existing system, you can use board power only to estimate its net gains.

Ya. No one has public hashrate for gpu's on zcash. All I know is it has a good improvement in bitcoin. I don't know if it justifies the 250 watt tdp though

Just now, Legolessed said:

Ya. No one has public hashrate for gpu's on zcash. All I know is it has a good improvement in bitcoin. I don't know if it justifies the 250 watt tdp though

Yeah I don't think the 6970 will be profitable honestly. But it doesn't hurt to try and see what kind of hashrate you get by mining on it for an hour or two.

As for the 7850 that one's much more likely to be profitable.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Yeah I don't think the 6970 will be profitable honestly. But it doesn't hurt to try and see what kind of hashrate you get by mining on it for an hour or two.

As for the 7850 that one's much more likely to be profitable.

Ya. I may go for the 7850 I just can't justify the 250 watt tdp. That's a lot of power xD. I literally thought I read it wrong when I looked it up xD. Also dissapting all that extra heat is going to be a pain. Thank you!! I'll update you on how it goes

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

There's a load of 7850s and shit on eBay that used to be used for mining because they were cheap and good for what they were worth. I'd say that's an indicator of something.

I know most people have moved onto higher tier cards. I haven't. I'm not willing to throw down that amount of money. They are still the same value it's just now there's better card.to profit ratio that destroy the 7850's 320%