Mobile GPUs for HTPC Gaming

snowBlind

This is just a thought... C'mon ASUS! 

Imagine the small HTPC gaming rigs/Steam Boxes that could be built if we were able to purchase mobile GPU's from brands like ASUS, EVGA, Gigabyte, etc... and they also had mini ITX boards that would take them. ASUS Maximum VI Impact running two GTX 780M's, in a case similar in size to X1/ PS4. 

I recently built a HTPC gaming PC. I used the Fractal Node 605 case which, IMO, is a beautiful case.. but it's still a pretty big case in terms of what I have stuffed into my TV stand hutch. The only thing that would be cooler than the Fractal Node 605 in my TV stand hutch is a Fractal Node 605 which is half to a third of the size! 

Do you guys/gals think we'll ever see something like this happen? With HTPC becoming more common, and with Steam OS/Steam Box coming out soon.. I think there would be a market for it. 

-sB

I would rather a larger case with a stronger gpu than small case with weak gpu. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

What's the market in down clocked midrange desktop parts? 780m is just a really low clock fully enabled 680 IIRC Two Asus 670 minis would perform better and still be tiny. Or a pci extender and a high end card like 780 or 780ti and you could fit it into a smaller case.

You can either use a smaller card (like the ASUS 670 Mini).

MSI used to offer a 2x MXM module SLI card which let you getto rig together 2 MXM modules in SLI (typically used for upgradable graphics in notebooks) in order to have 2 SLI cards in a single/dual slot config.

UHdpJ2Y.jpg

The card itself - note the two spaces for MXM modules.

400M-6.jpg

MXM video card module

That said, this solution isn't guaranteed to work, and MSI doesn't sell that card anymore. You're better off with trying to get dual watercooled single slot card or one of the "mini" cards.

I need more SSDs.

I realize the 780M isn't as powerful as other cards, but the 780M wasn't the point... I merely used it as it's the better of the mobile cards of present.  I'm not sure many games that will give the card much grief.. and even less so once we see a high end Maxwell based mobile GPU. Two 780M's..or whatever comes out next, in SLI would still take up a TINY footprint and be very powerful. The only expansion slot being used in my case is the GTX 770. Without it I could have had a much shorter case. :)

In my mind I'm picturing being able to having a very potent gaming rig which is similar in size to a game console... but without it actually having to be a gaming console. :)

I think it's a cool idea, but I realize there's more to it than just having a mobo take a mobile GFX card.. MXM seems to be the correct term? 

I actually think this is a really good idea, but i don't think it can be done on mitx, It'd need to be a bit longer, as you can see how crowded those MoBos are already. Still having a 780m is better than going apu so yeah.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

I actually think this is a really good idea, but i don't think it can be done on mitx, It'd need to be a bit longer, as you can see how crowded those MoBos are already. Still having a 780m is better than going apu so yeah.

Yeah, I guess mITX might not be the most practical. 

• 2 weeks later...

umm, 7970M= Desktop 7870. Get a small 7850 and OC it a bit. It would cost you 3 times less, and you'll get the same performance.

I would rather a larger case with a stronger gpu than small case with weak gpu. 

Fair point, but I would rather the option be available.