Enthoo Evolv ATX TG 90C CPU OC normal?

RGBLEDCPU

Hi,

I recently built my computer, and after overclocking I get a bit high temps.

Relevant hw:

• Asus Crosshair VI Hero
  • Ryzen 1800X (+0.02250V, LLC1, 3.9 GHz)
  • ASUS Strix 1070 ("OC" preset in GPUTweak)
  • Fractal Design Kelvin S36 (top)
  • 2x Fractal Design Venturi static pressure 14cm (front, intake)
  • 1x Phanteks included 14cm case fan (back, exhaust)

What happens is that if I run prime95 and furmark, the CPU temperature stabilizes a little below 90C (ambient: 25C). Under realistic circumstances either the GPU (games, CUDA) or the CPU (virtual machine, compiling, running tests) gets load, and the CPU temps stay around 70-75C.

At the moment I have the radiator fans set up as an intakes (less dust), but if they are exhausts, I get almost the same temps, with the top of the case heating up. I can't move the radiator to the front, because the two HDD slots are occupied with 3.5" HDDs. Fan curves don't really play a role, because the motherboard gives full power to all fans above 70C.

My suspicion is that no matter how I set up the radiator, it can't move enough air, so the hot air starts to circulate inside the case...

Are these results "normal"? I expected better temps with a 360mm radiator.

Yep.  That is typical for that case.  There isn't enough ventilation at the top to support a radiator.  Move it to the front and you will see better temps . Since you can't do that because of the HDs I don't know what to tell you except to remove the top cover from the case.  

I actually had a Custom loop melt down because of temps in this case.  It is beautiful and works great for Air Cooling.  but the CLC and open loop options are slim to non. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

2 hours ago, KWelz said:

Yep.  That is typical for that case.  There isn't enough ventilation at the top to support a radiator.  Move it to the front and you will see better temps . Since you can't do that because of the HDs I don't know what to tell you except to remove the top cover from the case.  

I actually had a Custom loop melt down because of temps in this case.  It is beautiful and works great for Air Cooling.  but the CLC and open loop options are slim to non. 

I plan to replace my Kelvin when the 2y warranty expires, so this seems to be a great excuse to "upgrade" the case as well :)

15 hours ago, RGBLEDCPU said:

I plan to replace my Kelvin when the 2y warranty expires, so this seems to be a great excuse to "upgrade" the case as well :)

Yeah the Evolv ATX is a beautiful case but is extremely air flow restrictive. Cases like the Meshify C or Enthoo Pro M have mesh front panels (partial or full) so they're much better at allowing good airflow into the case, and are more recommended (by me) for higher end system builds 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Sometimes the price of beauty is restricted air flow.  You could try a better exhaust fan (or intake) such as Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC 2000 or 3000 rpm.  They are a bit louder but still not terrible.  Get the PWM version and you'll keep noise down until you really want to crack it up.

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

• 1 month later...

I comment here in case someone finds this topic.

Finally I found the best configuration for my hardware:

* I reverted the top radiator to be an exhaust.

* I moved the front two 140mm fans to be as high as possible. This way there's no airflow for my hard drives, but both the radiator and the video card gets more air.

* I changed my GPU anti-sag solution to improve airflow.

* I sealed off the holes on the top radiator rail with an RGB strip, some nearby wires and zip-ties. It's not a perfect solution, but it blocks most of the air that would come back to the case.

Result: -15C on the CPU, -10 on the GPU, while the 1200 RPM fans only spin around ~900 RPM.