Discolouration of thermal compound

jeffery7466

Hi people,

So I received my spanking new Ryzen 1600, and, of course, the Wraith Spire cooler came with it.

The pre-applied cooling compound appeared yellow -brownish (see attached). Is this normal?

I contacted the seller and  they claimed "Thats oil within the paste that settles. This is normal and what the paste is made up of."

What's your take on this?

EDIT: picture failed to attach the first time round.

20170825_225631_HDR.jpg

Everyone on here be showing off their rigs, so here I go:

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768

13 minutes ago, jeffery7466 said:

I contacted the seller and  they claimed "Thats oil within the paste that settles. This is normal and what the paste is made up of."

first i thought "oil in thermal paste? whut? never heard of that" but after a quick google search and reading this i learned that oil seems to be indeed mixed into most thermal compound on the market.

i'd wipe the preapplied compound off and apply new one

Absolutely normal.

Indeed , thermal paste is made out of two or three major ingredients usually in super fine powder suspended in some oil to make them paste like.

If you'd feel more comfortable, you can just wipe the paste off and use something else - for example arctic cooling mx-2 or mx-4  or arctic silver ceramique 2 or arctic silver 5

Basically anything but the cheapest silicon grease style pastes (dark gray usually, and in tiny baggies instead of syringes)

8 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Absolutely normal.

Indeed , thermal paste is made out of two or three major ingredients usually in super fine powder suspended in some oil to make them paste like.

If you'd feel more comfortable, you can just wipe the paste off and use something else - for example arctic cooling mx-2 or mx-4  or arctic silver ceramique 2 or arctic silver 5

Basically anything but the cheapest silicon grease style pastes (dark gray usually, and in tiny baggies instead of syringes)

How often does this separation happen? I've never seen or heard of after market thermal compound doing this.

Spoiler

Main Desktop CPU: Ryzen 1600 @ 3.65 GHz Memory: 2x8GB @ 3200 MHz Graphics: NVIDIA ASUS 1070 MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Storage: NVME M.2 Crucial P1 SSD; SATA Crucial MX500 SSD; Seagate BarraCuda HDD.

Acer Aspire 5755G CPU: Intel i5-2410M @ 2.30GHz Memory: 6GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM Graphics: NVIDIA GT 540M 2GB Storage750GB 2.5" 5400RPM HDD Display15.6" 1366x768

It happens quite often and especially in bigger packages like 25-50ml syringes (or toothpaste like containers) or jars of paste.

Some packages even mention turning boxes with thermal paste syringes upside down every few weeks to move the oils back in and with jar like containers they tell you to mix the contents for a few minutes before use.

In smaller syringes or when pre-applied on heatsinks it happens less often, but does happen.

3 minutes ago, jeffery7466 said:

How often does this separation happen? I've never seen or heard of after market thermal compound doing this.

i have never seen anything like this.

what i have seen is that white paste can sort of "dissapear" ... dunno what exactly happens there but it looks like it just evaporated leaving only a wet spot behind

and i have had silver paste (arctic silver 5, etc) getting dry and crusty after some time - probably because the oil got away

if you have other thermal paste that is somewhat decent, use that one, otherwise leave the current one and maybe order some ARctic mx4 to replace that

1 hour ago, mariushm said:

1 hour ago, Tiwaz said:

Yea I'll probably get new thermal compound.

Question: Everyone seems to use iso-propanol to remove the old paste. I have access to absolute ethanol. Is there any harm is using that? I can't see why it would harm anything.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, jeffery7466 said:

Even thermal pads have the same oil applied. You can frequently see them seep after a few hundred hours of pressure. Completely normal. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

50 minutes ago, jeffery7466 said:

Question: Everyone seems to use iso-propanol to remove the old paste. I have access to absolute ethanol. Is there any harm is using that? I can't see why it would harm anything.

You can use any solvent... acetone for example (nail polish remover), plain sanitary alcohol, even gasoline will work (it's solvent, just cean surface with water after)

But the layer of paste is so thin and still relatively new that a simple paper towel with a drop or two of water will be enough to remove the paste.

You need solvents if you want to really clean the surfaces of all particles of paste and all that, for example when you don't want to contaminate something new with the old stuff.

In your case, new pastes won't be negatively affected by whatever will be left on the heatsink and cpu top after removing current paste so stop stressing yourself.

Use whatever you have on hand and don't worry if there's some tiny amounts of residue left after cleaning.

1 hour ago, jeffery7466 said:

you can use any alcohol you can easily get, just make usre its dried afterwards since that might be a n issue with lower % alcohol

some people also use Vodka

26 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

you can use any alcohol you can easily get, just make usre its dried afterwards since that might be a n issue with lower % alcohol

some people also use Vodka

Yea absolute ethanol is 99.9% ethanol so I won't have that problem :P

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, jeffery7466 said:

Yea absolute ethanol is 99.9% ethanol so I won't have that problem :P

nice