6700k to Delid or not to Delid?

Thinking about delidding my 6700k in a month its time to change out my watercooling loop.

I have a Monsta 480mm radiator which is more than enough for my system.

However at 1.38v i get 4.7Ghz which isn't to bad at 73C when i push a stress test.

When i try and boot at 4.8Ghz the system is unstable, when i bump up the voltage it a little more stable but at 1.41v its 95C at a stress test and unstable.

So i was thinking of delidding but am i going to get much more out of this processor i certainly have the cooling capacity on my monoblock.

Anyone done this and see an increase in performance?

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo

Nope, not worth the risk on Skylake.

Your at about the limits of a 6700K anyway, delidding won't change the 1.4+ volts the CPU needs to be stable at 4.8 and higher and at 1.4 volts heat is always going to be an issue.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

4.7 is good for skylake. I would just keep it at 4.7 and call it a day because that 100 mhz probably isn't all that obtainable and isn't going to improve performance a whole lot either. 

4 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Your at about the limits of a 6700K anyway, delidding won't change the 1.4+ volts the CPU needs to be stable at 4.8 and higher and at 1.4 volts heat is always going to be an issue.

If you have a tool like the delid die mate 2 it's really easy. 

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

3 minutes ago, Owlman said:

If you have a tool like the delid die mate 2 it's really easy. 

Thing is though, most people I've seen delidding 6700Ks have reported around a 5°c delta. The only time delidding Skylake makes a huge difference is if you use liquid metal TIM but that's pretty dangerous on a bare die.

IMO delidding Skylake is not worth the risk but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, its your chip and you can do what you feel is best.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

not worth it on skylake, the temp changes aren't enough to OC more. 

now KABY LAKE on the other hand...

Kaby is exactly the same lol... 

2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thing is though, most people I've seen delidding 6700Ks have reported around a 5°c delta. The only time delidding Skylake makes a huge difference is if you use liquid metal TIM but that's pretty dangerous on a bare die.

IMO delidding Skylake is not worth the risk but that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it, its your chip and you can do what you feel is best.

You only drop 5c if you don't use liquid metal. 

Its not dangerous to use liquid metal on the die of skylake at all cos there aren't any components on the pcb like there was on the 4770k.

Its also very easy and safe using a 3d printed tool or a delid die mate. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

26 minutes ago, Maticks said:

Thinking about delidding my 6700k in a month its time to change out my watercooling loop.

I have a Monsta 480mm radiator which is more than enough for my system.

However at 1.38v i get 4.7Ghz which isn't to bad at 73C when i push a stress test.

When i try and boot at 4.8Ghz the system is unstable, when i bump up the voltage it a little more stable but at 1.41v its 95C at a stress test and unstable.

So i was thinking of delidding but am i going to get much more out of this processor i certainly have the cooling capacity on my monoblock.

Anyone done this and see an increase in performance?

You won't get higher performance but the temps on a loop like that should mid to low 50's loads of overclocker are able to use 1.5-1.55v under water with delided cpu for benching with the cpu well under 80c. 

At 1.38v you should be miles cooler and potentially you could run a bit over 1.4v to get an extra 100mhz but for normal use it may not be worth it. The temps are worth it though. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

18 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Kaby is exactly the same lol... 

You only drop 5c if you don't use liquid metal. 

Its not dangerous to use liquid metal on the die of skylake at all cos there aren't any components on the pcb like there was on the 4770k.

Its also very easy and safe using a 3d printed tool or a delid die mate. 

No it isn't lol. They used a shitty Tim on kaby so delid does a lot actually.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

5 minutes ago, RGProductions said:

Agree same with Haswell(i have 4790k) more than 20degree difference for me here are details

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Straight up terrible advice. A de-lid on Skylake is extremely viable, and can often result in a few hundred free MHz for many users. You're right that it is a risk, but a de-lid is always a risk. and for many users the reward is well worth the small risk ("small" when done carefully and correctly that is).

50 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Thing is though, most people I've seen delidding 6700Ks have reported around a 5°c delta. The only time delidding Skylake makes a huge difference is if you use liquid metal TIM but that's pretty dangerous on a bare die

If you're de-lidding and not using liquid metal (like Conductonaut or whatever) then you're right, its pretty much a waste of time but that has nothing to do with skylake... its a problem with the user chickening out lol... and TIM's like Conductonaut isn't really "dangerous" on a the die... its dangerous if you get it anywhere else ;)

1 hour ago, Maticks said:

Your having a monoblock complicates things. They're very precisely machined and milled to perfectly fit your CPU and chosen motherboard... by De-liding, even if you reinstall the IHS afterwards (which never made sense to me tbh, naked mounts are the only sane thing to do after a De-lid IMO), you're going to very slightly adjust the height of your CPU, which may cause contact issues on either your CPU or other motherboard components. I'm not sure the manufacturing tolerances on something like this, but I can't imagine even a couple mm would go over well with your components. Depending on the thermal pad thickness for your motherboard contacts you may have a small amount of "squeeze" room if you have to tighten things a little bit more or less after the de-lid, but its definitely something you may want to think twice about before proceeding... and if you do decide to de-lid, absolutely use some kind of Liquid metal TIM otherwise its not going to be worth the time or effort.

and unfortunately, as a result of your monoblock, a naked mount will not be possible at all (that is, a de-lid without the IHS installed afterwards)

32 minutes ago, Jumper118 said:

Kaby is exactly the same lol....

not really though

kaby lake used really bad tim whereas skylake used better tim

kaby is effectively the same arcitechture but temps will be different :P

2 hours ago, ImNotThere said:

A result of a faster CPU, not a worse TIM. I don't know that they're the exact same stuff (it seems reasonable they would be considering these CPU's are extremely similar/identical in almost all other ways), but the Skylake crap is still very bad, and one can expect to see some fairly substantial gains from a de-lid and metal TIM upgrade.

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

They have use shit Tim on all of them. Kaby uses more power so it's more noticeable but the Tim is the same and the temp drops are the same. 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

8 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

They have use shit Tim on all of them. Kaby uses more power so it's more noticeable but the Tim is the same and the temp drops are the same. 

I'm not an expert here so @Lays is needed

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 hour ago, RGProductions said:

I'm not an expert here so @Lays is needed

i already asked him :P 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

22 hours ago, ImNotThere said:

not really though

kaby lake used really bad tim whereas skylake used better tim

They both use shitty tim, the increase in clock speeds on kaby lake is the problem.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone was curious i delided my 6700k.

Put in liquid metal removed the silicon around the outside.

Put it back in the socket with grizzly thermal paste on top. it made a 15c difference.

It is making contract with the monoblock. i am finding the processor stable at 4.7Ghz at 1.310 volts where as before i needed 1.390 volts.

I can get it to 4.9Ghz at 1.475Volts it's completely stable but with aida64 stability test it hits 95c on two cores.

I did some gaming it's great but one core keeps hitting 95c it doesn't feel good hitting that temp.

So i've clocked back to 4.7Ghz at 1.310Volts 70c max doing aida64 stability test, 200Mhz isn't work 15c more.

20170923_144037 (1).jpg

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 7700X | GPU | ASUS TUF RTX3080 | PSU | Corsair RM850i | RAM 2x16GB X5 6000Mhz CL32 MOTHERBOARD | Asus TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WIFI | 
STORAGE 
| 2x Samsung Evo 970 256GB NVME  | COOLING 
| Hard Line Custom Loop O11XL Dynamic + EK Distro + EK Velocity  | MONITOR | Samsung G9 Neo