MSI motherboard and Ryzen 7... CPU not detected

FriendKiller
Go to solution Solved by FriendKiller,

Thought I would post a solution. It was the case. The case was causing a short on the board. Found that out by taking the board out and testing out of the case, it worked fine. Put the board back in and it didn't post. Didn't want to leave this unsolved. 

Hello you beautiful people. I've been trying to wrap my head around this problem for a week now. 
I just got a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU with the MSI B350 motherboard. 
Everything lights up, but it won't post. The EZ debug light comes on indicating the CPU is failed or not detected. I've left it on for about 15 minutes now and no luck... I have already returned both the CPU and Motherboard and got the new ones in today with the same issue.. any help would be highly appreciated. About to return both and just go Intel :/

Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700 
Gpu: EVGA gtx 1060
Motherboard: MSI B350M
Psu: evga 650W gold
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 CMK8GX4M1A2400C16

If you need any info please let me know! 

4 minutes ago, FriendKiller said:

Hello you beautiful people. I've been trying to wrap my head around this problem for a week now. 
I just got a Ryzen 7 1700 CPU with the MSI B350 motherboard. 
Everything lights up, but it won't post. The EZ debug light comes on indicating the CPU is failed or not detected. I've left it on for about 15 minutes now and no luck... I have already returned both the CPU and Motherboard and got the new ones in today with the same issue.. any help would be highly appreciated. About to return both and just go Intel :/

Cpu: Ryzen 7 1700 
Gpu: EVGA gtx 1060
Motherboard: MSI B350M
Psu: evga 650W gold
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 CMK8GX4M1A2400C16

If you need any info please let me know! 

Hi. Usually Ryzen boards need to set everything up. Turn it off completely Then Turn it on for 10 secs and Hold power button and shut it off. Do it 5 times. 

CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K | Ram: 16GB Corsair LPX 3000 DDR4 | Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 | GPU: EVGA RTX2080 XC | 960 EVO Samsung 500GB M.2 | 850 EVO Samsung 250GB M.2 | Samsung 1TB QVO SSD | 1TB HDD WD Blue 

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 2 in 1 9370 | I7 1065G7 | 32GB DDR4 | 1TB SSD |

Have you reset the CMOS? Try starting the system with only 1 stick of RAM in.

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

3 minutes ago, Killstreak said:

About to return both and just go Intel :/

You just got bad luck. it can happen on any platform.

try only with a single stick of RAM.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

@PCGuy_5960 another one xD
MSi motherboards for the win

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 hour ago, Gungpae said:

is it a single stick of corsair vengeance or two?

I just bought another set of ram. 2 sticks.

1 hour ago, JaegerB said:

Have you reset the CMOS? Try starting the system with only 1 stick of RAM in.

It was only 1 stick. It's a new motherboard but I reset the cmos. No luck. 

1 hour ago, Killstreak said:

Hi. Usually Ryzen boards need to set everything up. Turn it off completely Then Turn it on for 10 secs and Hold power button and shut it off. Do it 5 times. 

No luck sadly. 

For anyone who finds this... I really don't know what I did to fix it. I put new ram in and it gave the same cpu error. I took it out of the case and it it gave the CPU error but I saw the bios. I don't know if it was the new ram or taking it out of the case. Either way it works now. 

43 minutes ago, FriendKiller said:

For anyone who finds this... I really don't know what I did to fix it. I put new ram in and it gave the same cpu error. I took it out of the case and it it gave the CPU error but I saw the bios. I don't know if it was the new ram or taking it out of the case. Either way it works now. 

That's great! I was almost going to recommend you RMA it and pick up a board from a different brand...

HEADS UP, THIS ACCOUNT IS INACTIVE NOW

I'm keeping everything else the way it was for anyone who might check out my answers in future, but I won't be using LTT.

Don't forget to quote me when replying to me!

Please explain your question fully, so I can answer it fully.

PSU Tier List Cooler Tier List SSD Tier List  My Specs Below!

Spoiler

My PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.2GHz

Cooler: Stock Wraith Spire

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3000mHz 16GB DDR4 (2x8GB) RGB

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X370-F Gaming ATX

SSD: Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5"

HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm

GPU: Asus ROG Strix OC GTX 1060 6GB

Case: Cooler Master H500P

PSU: Corsair RM650i 650W 80+ Gold Fully Modular

Fans: 4x Cooler Master Masterfan Pro 120 Air Balance

Spoiler

Potato Laptop (Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook, 2013):

CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3337U @ 1.8GHz

RAM: 8GB DDR3 2133mhz SODIMM (1x4GB Samsung, 1x4GB Kingston)

SSD: Kingston 24GB SSD (originally for caching)

HDD: HGST 500GB 5400rpm

GPU: Intel HD 4000 Graphics

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I actually have the same RAM, GPU, and Motherboard. Only difference is a 1600x. My computer has been running just fine until today when I moved it upstairs. I plugged it in powered it on logged in, and out of nowhere it stopped outputting anything but the computer was still running. I looked and sure enough the ez debug says the cpu is not detected. I removed it from the case and it booted  put it back in, and its broken again. Any ideas?

Update: so I tested it outside the case. It works. I tested it inside the case with nothing plugged in and no screws holding down the mobo, it works. But when I put everything together it doesnt work...

Edited by Rakan82

• 8 months later...

Thought I would post a solution. It was the case. The case was causing a short on the board. Found that out by taking the board out and testing out of the case, it worked fine. Put the board back in and it didn't post. Didn't want to leave this unsolved.