Hi there, i recently installed Xubuntu (a flavour of Ubuntu) for the first time and i have a question regarding partitons on Ubuntu.

So when i installed Xubuntu on my SSD: SATA PM: OCZ-VERTEX2 (114473MB), it created 2 other identical partitions: ubuntu (p0: OCZ-VERTEX2) , and it doesn't boot from the SSD, rather it boots from one of these two newly created partitons. Theres an image below of what i mean.

As you can see, the two identical partitions: ubuntu (p0: OCZ-VERTEX2) are the ones that the installation created. I'm just wondering if this is normal that it created this seperate partitions and that it doesn't boot from my SSD directly?

I hope i'm clear enough in my question, and if not please let me know.

Thanks, GR412.

IMG_20170824_143852[1].jpg

I think only your bios find them as identical but they are not really identical. You can check from windows how the partitions are divided on the SSD. If they are very very small, or its divided like on one there is hte OS and on one there is other stuff then its absolutely okey, i bet they are only lookup tables and some other files to start the ubuntu.

ASUS Maximus VII Hero | i7 4790K OC 4.8GHZ | 4x8GB 2400MHz MSI GTX 1070 alphacool eiswolf gpx pro
Samsung 850 EVO 520GB + Corsair 525gb + 275gb SSD  2TB Seagate Barracuda | 8TB Seagate Archive

Cooler Master HAF-X 942 | EVGA Supernova 1000W 80+ Platinum | Custom watercooling loop (gpu+cpu)

360mm+180mm rad and 10 fans | Swiftech D5 mcp655-B

Those probably don't indicate partitions but rather bootable systems. Your motherboard seems to have a built in boot manager (normally you can only select drives from the motherboard's boot menu, not an OS) which shows ubuntu on P0 (aka partition 0 of the drive), but it's probably picking up the recovery boot option as well. You can try figuring out which is which, but honestly if it works you can just stick with the first option.

If you want to check what the partitions actually look like (I'd bet it's just one) you can use a partition manager within ubuntu or windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

Those probably don't indicate partitions but rather bootable systems. Your motherboard seems to have a built in boot manager (normally you can only select drives from the motherboard's boot menu, not an OS) which shows ubuntu on P0 (aka partition 0 of the drive), but it's probably picking up the recovery boot option as well. You can try figuring out which is which, but honestly if it works you can just stick with the first option.

If you want to check what the partitions actually look like (I'd bet it's just one) you can use a partition manager within ubuntu or windows.

Okay so is this normal when installing Ubuntu? It's just this doesn't happen when i install windows, and i wasn't sure if i did something wrong.

3 hours ago, GR412 said:

Okay so is this normal when installing Ubuntu? It's just this doesn't happen when i install windows, and i wasn't sure if i did something wrong.

I'm not sure why it shows up like that, it may just be a feature of the motherboard - it seems to be nothing to worry about though. As for doing something wrong, if you had by now linux would have let you know (aka it wouldn't work).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*