Samsung Magician Benchmark: 960 500GB vs 850 500GB

How did the NVMe lose to the SSD in sequential? You'd think Samsung would inflate the numbers for their newer products to get everyone to switch over.

Image 1.png

That read number is off, should be 10x higher. At least if that result is in MB/s

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

samsung magician is bullshit and temporarily caches stuff in ram/something to get your sata ssd to look fast in sequential 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Sorry I have to ask, did you download and install the NVMe driver correctly from the Samsung website?

I only ask because the first benchmark I did of my 960 Pro score was half the expected in Magician.  Reinstalled the driver and results as per expected.  Although they do fall short as the driver fills up.

I didn't reinstall the same software and just used the one that was already there when I first got the 850 SSD.

EDIT: By the way, I did install the latest drivers but the results were more or less the same when I ran the benchmark after installation. I also wasn't running any applications while I ran the benchmark.

Is the SSD installed in m2 slot or on a PCIe adapter card?

Can you change slots?

Does you Mother Board support NVMe ?

Do you have to enable NVMe manually in your BIOS?

Slot share resources normally they auto detect, you can manually change them if needs be.

I have an ASRock Z270 Fatal1ty Gaming K4. It's using the M2 slot at the bottom of the board which means SATA_5 is disabled. I believe the top one disables SATA_0 which is in use for my SSD (850 EVO) or platter drive (Seagate 4TB). And yes, NVMe is supported with it already enabled in BIOS. I already cloned the SSD over to the NVMe and using the NVMe as my boot drive, in fact.

This is the board, I have: http://www.asrock.com.tw/MB/Intel/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4/index.asp

@Qi_Forever, actually, thank you! You gave me an idea. I'll move my NVMe to the top slot and move the SATA drives to different SATA ports. I wonder if the top slot is faster.

EDIT: Never mind. Just confirmed in the PDF manual that there will be no difference between either slots.

PDF (page 38): http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K4.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I think it could be related to RAPID technology. Is your 960 EVO compatible with RAPID technology? Probably, the 850 is using RAPID technology to "get to that speeds". 

My results:

960 Evo 500GB-

Untitled.jpg.56d72d8ab2df12aa450da394b2e7a041.jpg

850 Pro 256GB-

Untitled2.jpg.cab3971361db8c31dfb08593bf13fe91.jpg

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

3 hours ago, eera5607 said:

I think it could be related to RAPID technology. Is your 960 EVO compatible with RAPID technology? Probably, the 850 is using RAPID technology to "get to that speeds". 

Not sure to be honest. I'll look into that.