usb drive longevity

kiwibacon

If I have a usb drive and dont use it for 20+ years will it still work?

3800X, Corsiar 32gig 3200mhz LPX, Asus Hero X570. 2080ti black edition

no, because the flash chips can only hold on to the data for so long without power, about 3-4 years for well made ones. The hotter the environment, the shorter the lifespan.

no, because 20 years from now, usb will be outdated and you wont be able to find anywhere to plug it into

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I have a 256MB USB 1.1 stick from about 2004 that still works just fine. I don't know if it'll last 20 years but it's definitely giving it all it's got.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

9 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

no, because the flash chips can only hold on to the data for so long without power, about 3-4 years for well made ones. The hotter the environment, the shorter the lifespan.

this isn't even slightly true , I have flash drives that are 64-128mb that I bought about 15 years ago that hold their data just fine.

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

this isn't even slightly true , I have flash drives that are 64-128mb that I bought about 15 years ago that hold their data just fine.

this still applies to USB drives because they also use the same technology to actually store the data. 

Just now, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

this still applies to USB drives because they also use the same technology to actually store the data. 

so you're saying if I buy an unopened 64mb usb it will NOT still have all it's disk utilities saved on it from the factory?

becuase I know that's bs lol

3 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

go to the SSD section

4 minutes ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

ok , we got it , no need to type it twice

Just now, emosun said:

ok , we got it , no need to type it twice

i originally put the wrong video in the first one sorry 

3 hours ago, IBM_THINKPAD_R51 said:

i originally put the wrong video in the first one sorry 

not trying to flame you for your mistake but in the future try to take advantage of the "edit" button (circled in red in the image below)

Capture.PNG.b62babc667f82cfe300c6a1417aa0d6f.PNG

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb