Do I need exact same GPU for SLI?

Thecoltr

Thank you for the helpful comments. So I should go with A 1080ti over SLI. In that case how would I go about selling my 1080? Just on ebay or is there a buyback site like Gazelle?

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Not exactly. Intel needs competition in the space. They're been doing research for years, but never had a force behind them pushing for the use of the research. 

I mean yes. If intel has a reason to push the envelope they will do so. But they aren't failing to do so simply because they're lazy or evil or "insert ignorant Intel hate argument here". computer circuitry can only get so small before it simply stops working. we can't get infinitely tiny. We are fast approaching this wall and Intel has recognized this, so in order to stay in business of producing CPU's they intentionally slow down their escalation (hence how we've entered the tick-tock-tock era). That, and every step we take closer to that wall, becomes harder to take another step. Quantum computing is not going to save us because it is wholly impractical and works in an entirely different way of computing. The only way out is to make faster cores and more cores... both things which generate heat, which we are also limited to how much of that we can deal with in a computer.

SO yes, competition will force intel to step up, but its for the same reason they have slowed down: they want to stay in business. (and this is incredibly off topic. if you wish to continue this discussion please PM me or start a new thread on the matter)

3 minutes ago, Thecoltr said:

Thank you for the helpful comments. So I should go with A 1080ti over SLI. In that case how would I go about selling my 1080? Just on ebay or is there a buyback site like Gazelle?

Definitely will see better performance upgrading to a TI instead of adding a 2nd 1080. Sure the sli 1080's may perform better in sli optimized games,... but upgrading to a TI will improve performance across the board, and is definitely cheaper than the cost of 2 regular 1080's. You should be able to sell your card used for near retail price, since the gpu market is silly right now!