Matchmaking in Overwatch

xGGAx

I just started playing Overwatch a month ago or so. I only played vs AI until I reached level 10, but now I mostly play in quick play. I noticed that I get matched against high level teams (by high I mean 100s, 70-something players, etc).

Of course we get trashed in a minute or two even if we have counter heroes. So, is matchmaking broken? Out of 10 matches, I win 3 , maybe 4 at most.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

I've never had an issue with match making.  It could be there are just isnt anyone your level with decent ping.

17 minutes ago, xGGAx said:

I just started playing Overwatch a month ago or so. I only played vs AI until I reached level 10, but now I mostly play in quick play. I noticed that I get matched against high level teams (by high I mean 100s, 70-something players, etc).

Of course we get trashed in a minute or two even if we have counter heroes. So, is matchmaking broken? Out of 10 matches, I win 3 , maybe 4 at most.

Your level in overwatch is not a determination of skill within the game. There are people who are level 500 (five stars) who are playing with people who are under level 100. It only gives you an idea how long they've been playing the game.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1 hour ago, xGGAx said:

51 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Your level in overwatch is not a determination of skill within the game. There are people who are level 500 (five stars) who are playing with people who are under level 100. It only gives you an idea how long they've been playing the game.

This^  Basicly everyone is given a hidden ranking which the game ranks you based on your "skill lvl".  You are then matched up with people with similar skill lvls, if your getting trashed a lot either your getting unlucky and getting team up with people that don't mess well together or You yourself are playing poorly/making bad decisions.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 hour ago, Draconid said:

This forum post may help you, https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371 It basically tells us how the matchmaking system works.

That post has some useful info:

"Skill" is not measured absolutely, it is inferred by predictions and game results. The quality of opponents you meet and beat ultimately paints a picture of "stronger than A

^so no actual measurement, only predictions, hmm...

A lot of systems also tend to temporarily and gradually expand the search range after X seconds if a match has not yet been found. I expect Overwatch is no different.

in other words, there are no players in my skill level/ping so it expands its search

Statistically, it appears to be a fair match, but it's proving not to be as the results consistently favor one side. However, the Overwatch system has a failsafe in place in this case where the match will be disbanded (both sides will requeue and "Finding a more balanced match" will appear) once a threshold of consecutive losses is met.

Note that this does not apply on a per-game basis, but rather across a series of matches with the same participants.

^I have never seen this.

It's very easy to assume that you are a group of individuals playing against a 6-stack. You know that you queued alone, and you see that the other team coordinates exceptionally well. One thing to consider is that there is a high probability that you have a stack on your team, too. That "solo vs 6" is very probably a "1+5 vs 1+5" or "1+1+1+3 vs 1+1+1+3".

Currently it's difficult to prove this, however Tigole mentioned that in the current internal build, Competitive Play will show which players are grouped together.

lol what?, If I get matched against a group of players called:
 [TROLL] Number1

[TROLL] Number2

[TROLL] Number3

[TROLL] Number4

[TROLL] Number5

[TROLL] Number6

It is pretty obvious they are together....

I am by no means a great player ( only 1 month playing) but I can manage myself.

Some matches are really good, I had one last night with a 1-2 min overtime(we were attackers with a payload) and we won. 

Other matches are really bad, with a-hole teammates(usually mei player puts ice wall at the exit of the spawn point) so natually we lose without even getting to the objective.

I really want to enjoy this game, I love the character design and system performance, but this matchmaking thing disappoints me every time.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire