2 ssd + 2 hdd = raid 0 + raid 1 ?

Filipe
Go to solution Solved by 2sysel2,

needmorewood : i don't know about you but for me os is something disposable so i think raid 0 for os isn't that bad idea

maeto: i don't think that is the case either, i think it is about increasing the chance that the raid will fail. if any single drive fails the array fails

Hello to all.

Who can and / or know how to help.

Recently bought a MB Asrock Z87 Extreme6/AC.

I have 2 ssd (Corsair Force Series GT 90GB SATA III 2.5) + 2 hdd (Western Digital Blue 320GB 5400rpm 8MB SATA III 2.5).

I want to put 2 ssd in raid 0, with the OS. And the 2 hdd in raid 1, to "secure" storage.

The question is: I can do both raid `s with only this MB, or I have to buy a raid card pci-e extra to make the second raid?

From already thank you very much for any clarification and guidance.

(Google tradutor)

raid 0 is a terrible idea in general and really bad for putting your OS on. i wuoldnt trust it to last very long.

needmorewood : i don't know about you but for me os is something disposable so i think raid 0 for os isn't that bad idea

maeto: i don't think that is the case either, i think it is about increasing the chance that the raid will fail. if any single drive fails the array fails

Asgard - Local server(Plex, Minecraft, Teamspeak, etc.)

Valhalla - My main rig(i5 4670k@4.4GHz,GTX780 ACX)

Valkyrie - Asus N53SN(Yeah I want to get rid of this and replace it with something more mobile)

i don't know about you but for me os is something disposable so i think raid 0 for os isn't that bad idea

ok well i cant have a computer die on me and spend time reinstalling all my programs and OS back onto my ssd 

This isn't the case at all. Individual drives aren't going to be any more likely to die because they are now in a Raid0 array. The risk in Raid0 is that you have more individual drives and therefore more chance that one of the drives in an array is defective.

If you have drives you already know are working then a Raid0 array is nearly as safe as a single drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE7Bfw9lFfs

ok well i cant have a computer die on me and spend time reinstalling all my programs and OS back onto my ssd

i have all of my important documents either on non os drive or on my Dropbox so reinstalling my system is simply restoring the system image (or reinstalling the os from new image of the backup is old and updates would take more time then new is install)

Asgard - Local server(Plex, Minecraft, Teamspeak, etc.)

Valhalla - My main rig(i5 4670k@4.4GHz,GTX780 ACX)

Valkyrie - Asus N53SN(Yeah I want to get rid of this and replace it with something more mobile)

um yeah, that proves absolutely nothing and if anything proves my point even more.

the very first thing he says is that it makes it less relible than a single drive.......

ive googled a bunch of links and everyone is pretty much saying the same thing. Raid 0 increases chance of failure. some are from random forums like toms hardware and some are articles. maybe things have changed in the last month and suddenly Raid 0 is a good thing but i highly doubt it

i have all of my important documents either on non os drive or on my Dropbox so reinstalling my system is simply restoring the system image (or reinstalling the os from new image of the backup is old and updates would take more time then new is install)

have u ever done that before?

YES, it's less reliable because there's MORE THAN ONE DRIVE. Therefore 2 drives means twice as likely to fail, 3 drives means triple the chance etc.

If one drive fails the array fails, that's what's meant when people say it's less reliable. But if each drive is known to work then putting it in a Raid array in no way will make that one drive more likely to fail than if it was kept on it's own. The only way a Raid array can make each drive more likely to fail is if the Raid controller is crap.

so u are agreeing that raid 0 is bad then? i understand how RAid works which is why im saying its a bad idea to run raid 0 in about any usage scenario.

Hello to all.

Who can and / or know how to help.

Recently bought a MB Asrock Z87 Extreme6/AC.

I have 2 ssd (Corsair Force Series GT 90GB SATA III 2.5) + 2 hdd (Western Digital Blue 320GB 5400rpm 8MB SATA III 2.5).

I want to put 2 ssd in raid 0, with the OS. And the 2 hdd in raid 1, to "secure" storage.

The question is: I can do both raid `s with only this MB, or I have to buy a raid card pci-e extra to make the second raid?

Yes, you can set up two RAID volumes with the same chipset.

You could do the RAID 0 SSDs and RAID 1 hard drives. I would recommend RAID1 SSDs instead, so your computer will have a lower chance of going down due to a drive failure.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your contributions and for your diferente perspetives.

Actually, the controler chipset can only make one raid, and the ASMedia controller does not do any. So after doing raid 0 with the ssd`s, with - Intel Storage Technology Driver and Utility, did raid 1 of hhd`s in the environment of OS.

As feedback i can tell you that is fery fast and smooth. In the Windows Experience Index one ssd make - 7,6, and the ssd`s raid 0 - 8,4(for does who cares). 

In the future, depending on the behavior checked in this setting, i will make changes or corrections. But for now i have to try.

Again, thank you all