MSI B350 Tomahawk not POSTing

zen1x

Hi! My computer worked for some time now. But suddenly it started to restart itself. Now it’s just locking itself and I cannot boot it. The EZ DEBUG BOOT led lights up and nothing else. Fans aren’t spinning, just nothing. I’ve already reseted the CMOS and it worked for like 2 hours and same happened.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (stock cooler, OC 3.6GHz on 1.2250 [it was working fine on this OC before the issues started to happen])

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1060 (non OC version)

MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk

RAM: Corsair Vegance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (running on XMP profile 2 on 2993MHz)

PSU: Corsair RM550x

5 minutes ago, zen1x said:

Hi! My computer worked for some time now. But suddenly it started to restart itself. Now it’s just locking itself and I cannot boot it. The EZ DEBUG BOOT led lights up and nothing else. Fans aren’t spinning, just nothing. I’ve already reseted the CMOS and it worked for like 2 hours and same happened.

Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 (stock cooler, OC 3.6GHz on 1.2250 [it was working fine on this OC before the issues started to happen])

GPU: Asus Strix GTX 1060 (non OC version)

MOBO: MSI B350 Tomahawk

RAM: Corsair Vegance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (running on XMP profile 2 on 2993MHz)

PSU: Corsair RM550x

Have you tested the PSU to see if it's powering on?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

XMP wouldnt work on my ryzen build. I would reccomend manually setting the frequency and timings.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

@TVwazhere Yeah for sure. My GPU has a LED that lights up whenever it has power. And second, the LEDS won’t light up on motherboard and GPU fans won’t be spinning at 100% speed.

@Thinkfreely But would it lock the PC to the state it doesn’t even spin the fans? Using calculator I would need 400W on my setup and I have 550W so 150W overhand. This PC was built 7 days ago, it’s brand new.

You have to remember that if that PSU isn't 80 + rated it could not be providing all that wattage, even if it is rated, it still might not provide it all. And as you get closer to the max wattage output then the efficiency curve starts to go down, which can also constrain how much actual wattage is getting out.

Do you have an alternative PSU you can test with?

Also when Ryzen released Bios updates on alot of boards where supplying far too much voltage and bricking the DIMMS. Did you update the bios version when you first got it?

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

@Thinkfreely It’s a 80+ plus PSU. Second, 550W rated PSU without a 80+ would supply the needed wattage but would charge more from power outlet. It’s an efficiency standard.

I don’t have any other PSUs as it’s my first PC.

I updated the BIOS right away (AGESA 1.0.0.6 update) and the PC was working for 7 days no issues. 

Ok, I am just trying to eliminate variables. If you reset the CMOS and it worked, did you leave everything back at stock settings or did you OC it again after it reposted initially?

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

@Thinkfreely I did OC it and while it shut off I was stress testing it. But before when the OC would fail the PC would just shut off and I would be able to power it on back without issues. And also the OC was very stable and was working for 7 days.

Well then it sounds like the OC could be the key factor, again XMP profiles have been causing a lot of issues. Your CPU might also be too undervolted, have you Tried upping the voltage and doing a manual RAM overclock as well?

@Thinkfreely Well, I’ll try to reset CMOS, boot, and stress the CPU again and see what happens. But still, I cannot see why that would hard lock the mobo.

So I bought Ryzen when it first released and had very similar issues. I was using a XMP profile for the RAM, and the BIOS ended up supplying WAY too much voltage to the DIMMS and CPU socket (Like 1.7v to the CPU and 1.9 to the Ram, was seriously insane). Update fixed it, but anytime I use a XMP profile and OC the cpu its never stable. I ended up just overclocking the Ram speed manually and setting the voltage myself, and since then no issues. So run stress tests at stock, then I would up the voltage on that CPU, and then manually set the RAM speed and volts, not XMP.

@Thinkfreely Ok, one more thing. Should I up the SOC voltage? And how much? This is the one thing I don’t understand.

So SOC voltage (Or System On a Chip) is the supply voltage, basically since Ryzen is all on the chip, including PCIE and DIMMS etc, upping it can help with Ram stability if there is a voltage "shortgage". However unless you have to mess with it, I wouldn't. If you do increase it, try to keep it between .08 - 1.15v. General consensus is never above 1.2v