Any chance of up-coming i9s being soldered?

I've come to the conclusion that the i9s, with their thermal-pasted heat-spreaders are just not worth the headache they would be to cool.  I need every bit of performance that the i9 7980XE appears to offer on paper, but living in a hot climate with no air conditioning, I likely couldn't even get stock performance under sustained multi-threaded workloads due to thermal-induced throttling.

Unless, just maybe, Intel learns from the fiasco that is the i9 7900X (IMO) and solders the newer 12-, 14-, 16- and 18-core CPUs to their heat-spreaders.  Does anyone have an informed opinion on how likely that is?  Is it a complete pipe dream that those CPUs will be useful to anyone outside of Greenland and Antarctica?

Solder would definitely be better than TIM.

That being said, the level of processing that is being asked of chips like Skylake-X takes a massive amount of power.  Soldering is not going to change that.  As someone who has delidded their Skylake-X, I can tell you not that much is being left on the table with the TIM.  It would as best buy you an extra 200MHz of overclocking headroom.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I'm not really familiar with the HEDT chips but I think they are all soldered and they only use the TIM on the consumer chips but I could be wrong. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. From what I hear the heat issues that Ivy Bridge and Haswell has seem to be for the most part a thing of the past. it's also hit or miss I think. Some users don't have any issues and some do so if your temps seem unusually high compared to others then maybe look into it.

The current I9 line uses the same shitty TIM as the mainstream. Likely to be true for the rest of it too.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

I can almost guarantee that they won't be. Intel would need to retool for a chip that barely anyone will buy. Sure it could make Intel seem like nice people but the cost just makes me not think it's happening. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

nope not happening. they are gonna keep using mayonaise like they always have

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

11 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

As someone who has delidded their Skylake-X

I have no desire to over-clock a Skylake-X (and I'm certainly not willing to put $2,000 at risk with a delidding), and would be happy just to get maximum stock performance under sustained 100% load.  Based on your experience with Skylake X so far, is it reasonable for me to expect/hope to get this in a room that reaches 100F with just a cooler like the Corsair H115i, Arctic Silver and an open case?

Just now, iiiyraegr said:

I have no desire to over-clock a Skylake-X (and I'm certainly not willing to put $2,000 at risk with a delidding), and would be happy just to get maximum stock performance under sustained 100% load.  Based on your experience with Skylake X so far, is it reasonable for me to expect/hope to get this in a room that reaches 100F with just a cooler like the Corsair H115i, Arctic Silver and an open case?

100f is pretty extreme.  It would be really hard to speculate.  I would think that would be way out of the intended usage case of any HEDT.

The delta from ambient to max temp would need to be ~60c.  That is pretty close to what I saw stock, and my best guess would be that is pretty close to what we'll see with the rest of the skylake-x lineup.  If you are using AVX, you may need to adjust the offset accordingly.

What are you using now in those conditions?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

4 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

What are you using now in those conditions?

A Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz , air cooling (I don't remember what fan), an open case with a floor fan blowing into the case when need be.  It only reaches 100F in the room on maybe a couple dozen hot days in the summer, but I need to count on the system remaining stable (without throttling) under those conditions.

I don't anticipate running any AVX code.

If they don't solder their $1000 CPUs, then don't expect them to solder their $2000 CPUs. They're already well into their production process and they don't want to have to deal with the cost of going back and doing the solder process.

Hell, even the announced TDP and clockspeed of said CPUs should be indicative that there's practically zero chance of them being soldered.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

5 minutes ago, iiiyraegr said:

A Xeon W3680 @ 3.9GHz , air cooling (I don't remember what fan), an open case with a floor fan blowing into the case when need be.  It only reaches 100F in the room on maybe a couple dozen hot days in the summer, but I need to count on the system remaining stable (without throttling) under those conditions.

Isn't the max temps on those ~65c?  I am surprised you are able to manage that with the ambient being ~38c.

7 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Isn't the max temps on those ~65c?

I don't know, but I've found that it does alright up to 79C, at which point my code (which monitors core temperatures with a program called CoreTemp) does its own throttling, but that is rarely necessary.  Maybe I got lucky.

The obvious answer to this is, "Wait for the 7980XE release and read the reviews", but the reason for the guesswork is that ebay Australia has a 20% sale for major computer stores running through August 21, which is a big saving for the systems I'm considering building.

If I don't go with the i9 7980XE, then it will be a Threadripper 1950X for me.