Modmic 5 Hissing noise only on PC, audio example

bigpak

Hello, I just purchased a modmic 5 and I have tried it on my PC first, and there was a hissing noise in the background that sounded awful, so I figured I would try it on my xbox one, and did a recording and it sounded much better with absolutely no hissing noise, I have tried tinkering with realtek HD audio manager, made sure it isn't tying up the same type of input jacks, tried noise reduction settings, completely removed them, no change. What I was wondering if I purchased a USB stereo sound adapter could I just use it for the mic, and not my headphones, and would it solve the problem at all? I have determined it isn't actually any sort of ambient noise. Here is an audio Example.

Any idea on what could be causing this? I have an asus rampage V extreme motherboard, no idea what could be causing this hissing noise.

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

i had a similar issue with mine, if its plugged into the motherboard, its probably not getting enough power to function properly.

i fixed this by buying a $5 usb adapter for it. problem went away immediately,

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Ah, I was looking at a sabrent USB stereo adapter on amazon, about 7 dollars.

Yes, it is plugged into the motherboard, and what I also wanted to know is if I do buy a USB adapter, can I still use the onboard sound for my headphones but use the USB adapter just for the mic?

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

5 minutes ago, bigpak said:

Ah, I was looking at a sabrent USB stereo adapter on amazon, about 7 dollars.

Yes, it is plugged into the motherboard, and what I also wanted to know is if I do buy a USB adapter, can I still use the onboard sound for my headphones but use the USB adapter just for the mic?

thats the same one i bought. and yes you can.

make sure to quote when replying, so we get the notification :)

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

9 minutes ago, Tsuki said:

thats the same one i bought. and yes you can.

make sure to quote when replying, so we get the notification :)

Oops, sorry about that, I ordered it, thanks for the help, I will update this topic once I get it and let you all know how it works. If anyone else has any solutions feel free to post them! Thanks

2 minutes ago, bigpak said:

Oops, sorry about that, I ordered it, thanks for the help, I will update this topic once I get it and let you all know how it works. If anyone else has any solutions feel free to post them! Thanks

sounds good!

|Specs in profile|

Hi @bigpak - Thanks for using the ModMic and I am sorry you ran into a little trouble with EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) - this is common when plugging a mic like ours directly into a motherboard. USB devices like the one you purchased should clear up the problem.

Just to be clear, however, this problem exists for every mic that is plugged directly into your PC. A USB adapter or, say, a USB mic simply is filtering out the noise. The EMI is still there, but it (along with some of the signal quality) is being removed in real time.

We keep the ModMic as a 3.5mm mic for now in order to maximize potential quality and overall compatibility, but this does often result in having to buy an additional adapter for PC users. Sorry about that!

Oh and if you ever need any additional help, feel free to reach out to our customer support or even to me directly. We're here to help! :) 

Director of Marketing for Antlion Audio, creators of the ModMic.

More info at www.ModMic.com

Ask questions, I'm friendly!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 3:06 PM, AAJoe said:

Hi @bigpak - Thanks for using the ModMic and I am sorry you ran into a little trouble with EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) - this is common when plugging a mic like ours directly into a motherboard. USB devices like the one you purchased should clear up the problem.

Just to be clear, however, this problem exists for every mic that is plugged directly into your PC. A USB adapter or, say, a USB mic simply is filtering out the noise. The EMI is still there, but it (along with some of the signal quality) is being removed in real time.

We keep the ModMic as a 3.5mm mic for now in order to maximize potential quality and overall compatibility, but this does often result in having to buy an additional adapter for PC users. Sorry about that!

Oh and if you ever need any additional help, feel free to reach out to our customer support or even to me directly. We're here to help! :) 

I appreciate you reaching out to me, and I figured that was the case and I can completely understand why it is designed as a 3.5mm mic. I did end up finally receiving my sabrent USB adapter, and I am happy to report that it has been fixed and sounds much better! Here is another audio example. I am quite happy with the quality of the mic and the price of it especially with this adapter now. Thanks everyone! Hope this helps anyone else looking for this issue.