Q8300 to i5 650?

Hey guys. So I'm stuck on an aging q8300 with a max of 4gb ram :-(

I'm looking at a cheap i5 650 for an upgrade but I'm worried it won't really help my system at all. 2 less cores but HT.

To be clear, there are a crapload of advantages such as proper virtualization, it can overclock fairly high(my current mobo crashes on even the slightest OC), It's got SSE and AES nd all that crap so it should be quite a bit more efficient for certain things, possibility to upgrade to something lyndale(i7 8xx), and most importantly, I can get up to 32 GB of RAM XD.

But I'm still worried it's not gonna help my gaming performance(It may even hurt it in some cases?)

Games I'm currently playing and struggling to run smoothly:

Watch_Dogs(very high cpu usage on all cores. stuttering.)

Just Cause 2(minor stuttering)

Saints Row 3 and 4(also just minor stutter)

The crew(high cpu usage and minor stutter. mid-low-ish fps)

The Sims 3(yeah this one is pretty slow. Again, high cpu usage.)

Payday 2(input lag, stutter. high cpu usage)

Dota 2(this one is highly held back by my cpu. can't get above about 50 fps with drops to high 20's in fights. high cpu usage. GPU just chilling at like 40% utilization.)

Obviously I realize that even with the new CPU, the GPU is still gonna be bottlenecked but is there anybody still using a 1st gen i5 who can comment on what I can expect from it? I used to have a laptop with a 560m and was very satisfied at the time with it(although i didn't do much gaming, i never had desktop slowdowns but then again I had 6gb ram not 4).

PS: I also do development and currently Visual Studio/Clion are not very responsive. Not to mention compilation.

I had a I5 680 and a GTX 660, worked great for 1080p low, massive upgrade from my Q6600(neither was in my main system, just the LAN PC) motherboards can turn out to be more expensive than the chip though

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

9 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I had a I5 680 and a GTX 660, worked great for 1080p low, massive upgrade from my Q6600(neither was in my main system, just the LAN PC) motherboards can turn out to be more expensive than the chip though

I'm running 1680x1050 and don't plan on upgrading anytime soon(I've got an old apple studio monitor and i'm very happy with it.) And the guy I'm buying from is doing a bundle with the cpu, 4 ram slot mobo, and 4gb ram so yeah i'm not worried about that.

Not worth it in my opinion, you should wait another week and pick the Coffee Lake Pentium on the cheapest board made available.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

any of the modern pentiums would work good, or a i5 2500k if you can find a cheap one

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Not worth it in my opinion, you should wait another week and pick the Coffee Lake Pentium on the cheapest board made available.

I've literally got an absolute maximum budget of $110 to spend on the upgrade. The 650 bundle all together is about $50.  That way I could get a bit of RAM too.

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

I've literally got an absolute maximum budget of $110 to spend on the upgrade. The 650 bundle all together is about $50.  That way I could get a bit of RAM too.

You're exchanging 6 for half a dozen and wasting your already saved money for an actual meaningless upgrade though, not worth it the i5 650 is still extremely underpowered by today's standards, comparing the Core2Quad to the 650 we see a roughly 20ish percent improvement in over all performance, now if we compare it to Intel's current cheapest Pentium a 70ish dollars processor that can go on a 40ish dollars motherboard we'd be talking about literally doubling the performance already, this will get even better with Coffee Lake.

I would personally keep saving and waiting for it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

You're exchanging 6 for half a dozen and wasting your already saved money for an actual meaningless upgrade though, not worth it the i5 650 is still extremely underpowered by today's standards, comparing the Core2Quad to the 650 we see a roughly 20ish percent improvement in over all performance, now if we compare it to Intel's current cheapest Pentium a 70ish dollars processor that can go on a 40ish dollars motherboard we'd be talking about literally doubling the performance already, this will get even better with Coffee Lake.

I would personally keep saving and waiting for it.

Well there's the rub. Because of reasons I need to upgrade within a month. I need to give my old mobo away soon.

3 minutes ago, ryan27968 said:

Well there's the rub. Because of reasons I need to upgrade within a month. I need to give my old mobo away soon.

Well then this whole thread is pointless since you already made up your mind about getting the i5 650 to pass the old system to someone else, no point in show you this is a bad purchase when you're getting it any ways :P

Personal Desktop":

Just now, Princess Cadence said:

Well then this whole thread is pointless since you already made up your mind about getting the i5 650 to pass the old system to someone else, no point in show you this is a bad purchase when you're getting it any ways :P

Nothing decided yet. Your input is definitely valuable. Just trying to find out what my options are that don't involve waiting. And hoping for some people on this forum with experience with the early i5 desktop chips.