AMD Lenovo Y700 MUST DO TO MAKE RIGHT

This is just a PSA for anyone wanting to get a Lenovo Y700 as a decent budget laptop for gaming and productivity. To start off, go last year. The model cost for a Lenovo Y700 decreases in proportion to what you would expect for any other laptop but go specifically for the AMD version with the FX processor and the R9 385X graphics. This particular model often goes for cheapest with the lowest offerings for a decent model being 300-400 bucks. I personally got lucky and got one in good condition for about 300 all costs included. The reason this particular model goes cheaper is that Lenovo forgot to deal with the fact that AMD products (historically as is this particular set of products unlike the current offerings from AMD) tend to go twice as hot as Nvidia and consume three times the electricity (WARNING: exaggerated for dramatic effect). As a result of this fact, however, Lenovo forgot to modify their cooling system on this laptop and it thermal throttles while the others don't really. However, the weak point in the cooling system is easy to fix. It isn't the pipes or the fans that are the problems but rather the air filter. Lenovo used a cheaper and denser air filter that doesn't allow air to breathe through it. For the record, neither can human beings as I found out through my tests. Simply replace it with your one DIY solution using about 5 bucks worth of custom higher quality better breathing air filtering foam and you'll be set. It's simply a matter of cutting a trapezoid and if you've ever worked with construction paper, it's kinda like that. Also, make sure to replace the battery to get that FULL half hour of life you'll get out of a gaming laptop and please please PLEASE uninstall all Lenovo junk on it as some of that stuff really CAN slow your computer down. Lastly, make sure to treat your laptop well as it can be a great investment for some on the go horsepower. You still can't get a gaming laptop, let alone a production laptop for 3D work like what I need, for less than 500 new, and the graphics cards caddies aren't really double digit affordable to offset that yet. Until that/those is no longer true, keep an eye out for outliers like the AMD Lenovo Y700 to get really good deals and gaming grade second-hand laptop goodness.

I bet these didn't sell so well, so they are so hard to come by. Since you mentioned Lenovo using choking air filters, I'll ask my friend to replace those in his Y50-70. That thing overheats even though it has an i7 4710QM and GTX 960M....

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Huh, i heard that the internal pipe design of the Y700 was improved since then. I guess the tolerance wasn't as good on the Y50-70. The air filter, from what I've heard, isn't actually a problem with a similar configuration on the Y700 when Intel/Nvidia variants but I could be wrong. Still, make sure to try replacing that air filter with one you do yourself. Don't skimp on the material cost.

I don't have this problem

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Just now, ZM Fong said:

I don't have this problem

Have you done a thermal throttling test?

8 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

Have you done a thermal throttling test?

Sorry for my ignorance but how to do it?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

36 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

Lenovo forgot to modify their cooling system on this laptop and it thermal throttles while the others don't really.

IMO this is AMD problem

36 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

Lenovo used a cheaper and denser air filter that doesn't allow air to breathe through it.

Is it? My Y520 doesn't have this problem

37 minutes ago, Sirgeorge said:

please please PLEASE uninstall all Lenovo junk on it as some of that stuff really CAN slow your computer down.

I didn't uninstall Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Nerve Center as I found they are useful apps. Doesn't affect battery life if you don't put them in background

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Sirgeorge said:

https://www.aida64.com/products/aida64-extreme This should do you good. Other options exist but this is one of the better ones (in my opinion) if not the best. It's flexible, easy to use and its scope on stress testing computers is practically the full scope. Have fun.

Will try that

I've done Prime95 test before and no throttling, solid temps too

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

Just now, ZM Fong said:

IMO this is AMD problem

Is it? My Y520 doesn't have this problem

I didn't uninstall Lenovo Settings and Lenovo Nerve Center as I found they are useful apps. Doesn't affect battery life if you don't put them in background

I've had a Lenovo T520 from 2010ish to about 2016. Ya, you can argue that some of those apps are actually good. It is up to you. However, I got my Lenovo with 3 different types of anti virus that were active at the same time so...ya...do as you will at your own discretion.

Just now, ZM Fong said:

Will try that

I've done Prime95 test before and no throttling, solid temps too

good, glad to hear it. I was just wondering if you've done throttling tests before. I'm, of course, only speaking from my own experience and the scope I've heard from others regarding this issue and the temps they were getting.