I want to format my SSD but KEEP everything except the OS (Win10)

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

So, you want to save everything but the OS correct?

Just copy and move everything off the SSD onto the HDD

Exclude any system folders, just move documents, games, etc.

Download the latest drivers for everything and save them on the HDD as well. When doing the Windows re-install, leave all storage but the SSD unplugged.

If you've got enough space on the HDD you can always make an ISO image of your current SSD and save that on the HDD and if you ever need anything you can open up the ISO and move it out.

Hey, I realise this problem may have been covered before but I am having a hard time finding anything on it, or rather anything pertaining to my specific case. I also apologize if I've put this in the wrong place, I wasn't sure which board to post on.
If you know exactly what I'm talking about (I... kind of don't...) and know where I might find my answer please feel free to simply point me in that direction. Hear me out first, though.

I'm fully upgrading my PC, and by that I mean I am replacing everything except for my hard drives and PSU. I'd like to format my SSD and do a clean install of Windows onto it when it's in the new PC. As far as I know I should be able to do that without having to buy a new copy of Windows as my copy is attached to my Microsoft Account. If not... I'll buy a new copy I guess. Hopefully I won't have to, but it's not something I won't stomach for this new PC to become a reality, lol.

Anyway, there is a bunch of other stuff on my SSD along with the OS. Some games, docs, music, all my mail, other programs and stuff I don't necessarily need, etc...
What I want to do is move all of that stuff onto my HDD (which has more than enough space to hold all of it) and leave ONLY the OS on the SSD, so that I can format it, then do a clean install (from a USB) after I put it in the new PC.
I guess I'm asking if this is at all possible and whether I will have to use some kind of backup program and then restore the files on the new PC or if I can just copy stuff from the SSD to the HDD manually while leaving the OS alone, and in that case which folders should I not touch?
I understand this seems like a simple problem, but I'm really worried about just moving a bunch of stuff and having it not work properly, or moving stuff I shouldn't, or doing something like moving the drivers for my current GPU (is that even possible??) and having them around where I don't need them.
I'm sure you can tell, I'm just very inexperienced and while I can confidently build a PC, all this software and disk management stuff leaves me lost in the woods.

Any help would be super appreciated! I'll be happy to provide any more information needed.

Download the latest drivers for everything and save them on the HDD as well. When doing the Windows re-install, leave all storage but the SSD unplugged.

If you've got enough space on the HDD you can always make an ISO image of your current SSD and save that on the HDD and if you ever need anything you can open up the ISO and move it out.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

If I am reading your post right, you want to get rid of everything but the OS, then format the OS? Why not just format the drive?

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

13 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Correct!

Okay, I will just copy all of my personal files and leave it at that - I suppose I will have to live with reinstalling everything else as I come to need/remember it... which, since I want a clean install, is really for the best anyway.

What is the point of getting the latest drivers though if I am replacing all of my hardware and formatting the drive?

Just now, Godkong said:

Correct!

Okay, I will just copy all of my personal files and leave it at that - I suppose I will have to live with reinstalling everything else as I come to need/remember it... which, since I want a clean install, is really for the best anyway.

What is the point of getting the latest drivers though if I am replacing all of my hardware and formatting the drive?

Well I meant get the latest drivers for the new hardware.

Then after you install the OS and plug up the HDD, they will all be right there ready to go :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

3 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Well I meant get the latest drivers for the new hardware.

Then after you install the OS and plug up the HDD, they will all be right there ready to go :) 

Oh, of course... 9_9 lol

Thank you!