Mac Pro and iMac Pro with i7 7900X on Geek bench

JohnnyCorporalTech
1 hour ago, suits said:

I feel bad for the mac people I really do, I used to be one of them. Spending countless thousands of dollars on finally top end specs, and its no doubt going to thermal throttle like crazy. FeelsAppleMan

yeah it sucks. But OSX, have no choice, tried to see if i can hackintosh a laptop, but they're all seem to miss something, if it's not wifi, it's no switch between dgpu/igpu, if it's not that it's problems the bluetooth, if it's not that it's havo to perform some ritual to successfully boot, if it's not that it's... something

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

On 14/8/2017 at 9:06 PM, themctipers said:

i really doubt apple will use i9.

Misread the article confused my chips! 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

On 8/14/2017 at 4:10 PM, suits said:

I feel bad for the mac people I really do, I used to be one of them. Spending countless thousands of dollars on finally top end specs, and its no doubt going to thermal throttle like crazy. FeelsAppleMan

The iMac Pro design appears built to minimize throttling.  Let's wait until the system actually ships before making a judgment call, shall we?

Besides, the current Kaby Lake-based iMacs run at considerably lower power levels than predecessors, so they shouldn't throttle much if at all.

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

The iMac Pro design appears built to minimize throttling.  Let's wait until the system actually ships before making a judgment call, shall we?

Besides, the current Kaby Lake-based iMacs run at considerably lower power levels than predecessors, so they shouldn't throttle much if at all.

Considering the x299 chips pretty much require water cooling it's a safe bet. 

If if they are running at lower power than it's a perma-throttle. I.E. they've lowered performance. Same problem. Rip mac

1 hour ago, Commodus said:

Well you cant blame us and others for saying it will throttle since for the past 6 years they couldnt get chips with less than half the power consumption to stop throttling. Physics still apply to Apple...

@themctipers Hakintosh on Ryzen is not stable and requires lots of kernel hacking. As a concept it works but on practice not so much unfortunately. 

Just now, dorin said:

@themctipers Hakintosh on Ryzen is not stable and requires lots of kernel hacking. As a concept it works but on practice not so much unfortunately. 

yes, but the point is that it does work and it is stable enough to run a cinebench or geekbench, which could be used as proof that the iMac Pro will have one (i really doubt it, easily could've been faked) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

The problem with these results is hackintoshing and how extremely easy it is to fake everything.

Seriously using clover and some hex editing I could make my Sierra install say any CPU I wanted too and altering the system definition is as easy as editing a line in a text file. In actual fact CPU spoofing is how hackintoshers have had Sierra running on Kabylake for so long (for those who don't know real Kaby support is coming in High Sierra), Skylake & Kabylake are so similar you can spoof a Skylake in Clover and with a few kext edits (for iGPU and 200 series Audio) you can get a fully working hack install on Kaby showing as Skylake.

I'm not saying they're not real but be aware that faking a CPU on a Hackintosh is stupid easy.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)