Is cpu mining worth it?

So i have an i5 2500k pc collecting dust and wanted some use out of it so i wanted to know if it will make profit and if so what currency

SPECS:

i5 6400

Asus H110i-PLUS

Kingston 8GB RAM

HyperX 3K 120GB SSD

Western Digital Black 320GB HDD

Corsair RM550x

Fractal Design Nano S

Profit? No way.

If you want to do it for fun, download NiceHash and let it pick the best coin to mine for you. You will not make money though.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

What about if i overclock

SPECS:

i5 6400

Asus H110i-PLUS

Kingston 8GB RAM

HyperX 3K 120GB SSD

Corsair RM550x

Fractal Design Nano S

2 minutes ago, Jamil367 said:

What about if i overclock

You'll draw more power, diminishing returns. Not worth it

Main

CPU: i7 4790 Ram: HyperX Savage 24GB DDR3 GPU: Asus Strix GTX 960 MOBO: Asus B85 Pro Gamer SSDs: HyperX Fury 120gb, Corsair Force LX 128gb HDDs: Seagate SSHD 1tb + 1tb seagate HDD CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Pure Rock PSU: Corsair RM650x Case: Fractal Design Define C window Case fans: 2x Corsair AF140 Quiet Ed. 140mm intake, 1x Corsair AF120 Quiet Ed. 120mm exhaust

Peripherals

Monitors: 2x Asus VN247H Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headset: Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Mousepad: Steelseries QcK, Corsair MM300 XXL Cables: Corsair Premium Pro Red Sleeved Lighting: Corsair Node Pro

Laptops

HP Probook G4 440

CPU: Core i3 7100u Ram: 8gb DDR4 SSD: 256gb Sandisk X4 Pro Screen: 13.3" TN 

Asus E403SA

CPU: Pentium N3700 Quad Core Ram: 4gb DDR3 SSD: 128gb eMMC Screen: 14" 1080p TN

Phone:

Samsung Galaxy S8

PSU Tier List Updated    Personal Steam Account   

I don't think there is any coin you can make a profit on with a CPU, they draw more power then they mine in coin value

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

20 minutes ago, Jamil367 said:

So i have an i5 2500k pc collecting dust and wanted some use out of it so i wanted to know if it will make profit and if so what currency

Download NiceHash miner and use it for a week or two and see where you stand. See if it is worth you time and resources.
You will most likely be mining at a loss. But some people are ok with that.
example, somebody might mine at a loss and exchange the BTC they make into alt coins like doge just for the novelty of owning some coins.

You may wont to look at other types of mining. It seems HDD/SSD mining is becoming more well known and that means more and more coins will potentially be created to utilize that. Which could mean HDD/SSD prices skyrocket like Graphic cards prices have, but it is to soon to tell if that will happen. Have a google and you could find newer coins that will be easier to mine.

18 minutes ago, Lurick said:

If you want to do it for fun, download NiceHash and let it pick the best coin to mine for you. You will not make money though.

As far as I have seen and according to the NiceHash team on reddit. for CPU mining only CryptoNight algorithm is supported. (atleast for now)
For GPU's however NiceHash will as you say "pick the best coin to mine for you."

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Just now, Antistatic12 said:

-snip-

Makes sense. I've never done CPU mining so I wasn't sure if it benchmarked all coins or just had a couple for the CPU. Good to know :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Not worth it, especially with that. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

If you get electricity for free...

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Isnt it worth it just for a future investment of the currency

SPECS:

i5 6400

Asus H110i-PLUS

Kingston 8GB RAM

HyperX 3K 120GB SSD

Corsair RM550x

Fractal Design Nano S

1 hour ago, Jamil367 said:

Isnt it worth it just for a future investment of the currency

No, you'll have to hope the currency spikes by like 1000% or more to make back money.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

in a word

NO

in two words

FUCK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!

to give you a frame of reference the 860m mobile 2gb GPU in my laptop beats out the hashrate of a 6700k overclocked to 4.5Ghz by a factor of like 5 (if I remember correctly) and uses less power, CPU mining is 100% pointless, you would make maybe a penny a day if your electricity was 100% FREE, maybe a few years ago when Etherium was worth like 6 cents and was far less difficult to mine you could do it with a CPU and sit on it till today with it around 300 dollars then you might make some money. But banking that much money on the hopes a coin will take off is just foolish, might as well find an exchange that would sell you the coin outright, you'd get more of it for the money spent and you could hold onto it waiting and hoping it takes off.

You can try nicehash, it will run the cryptonight algorithm. GPUs are not good at this particular algorithm. But, I don't know whether a 2500k will be profitable. I think this one draws a lot of power. I'm getting around 1 kH on my 2x E5-2670 (16 cores) and it uses 178W (both cpus)- the return is 200% of the electricity cost. 

On 12/08/2017 at 11:50 AM, Jamil367 said:

If all you're wanting is too get some user out of it, why don't you consider joining our folding at home or BOINC team? You'll get some use and help out a cause at the same time.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

On 8/12/2017 at 3:50 AM, Jamil367 said:

You could always done load minergate see your h/s on it. Pull out an online calculator and see how much you'll earn

By way of example, here's the current rig I have setup and tested with CPU mining using the latest version of NiceHash:

CPU Mining = .00007135 BTC per day, which roughly equals at current exchange rates approximately $0.31 per day.

I have a stock Intell 6700k running at 4.0 ghz in my machine. Unless you have free electricity, you won't see anything back in the way of CPU mining, and very little at that. The only thing that could change that would be massive inflation of a cyrptocoin, then selling all your earnings. Still, those are long odds and assume you have free electricity in the first place.

13 hours ago, TheSaint said:

By way of example, here's the current rig I have setup and tested with CPU mining using the latest version of NiceHash:

CPU Mining = .00007135 BTC per day, which roughly equals at current exchange rates approximately $0.31 per day.

I have a stock Intell 6700k running at 4.0 ghz in my machine. Unless you have free electricity, you won't see anything back in the way of CPU mining, and very little at that. The only thing that could change that would be massive inflation of a cyrptocoin, then selling all your earnings. Still, those are long odds and assume you have free electricity in the first place.

Just looked at my NH App and my Cryptonight worker (that'd be my 1700x) is pulling about $1.50/day, or about .339mBTC

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic