Riser Feet for Alienware 13 R3

smartroad

So I have an Alienware 13 R3 laptop and like any gaming laptop it gets, well, warm when playing games. Using HWInfo I saw that the CPU/GPU temps easily reaching the 80C mark. If lifted the back end up (with a small block of wood at the time) the temps dropped down to around the 70-75C mark. Having a 3D printer I made some riser legs for it but while they worked, they weren't the most secure. The new version clips onto the outside edges of the vents. The final design takes advantage of being able to print using 2 materials. In this instance the main leg is PLA but the areas that clip into the laptops vent are a flexible material (FlexPLA in this instance). The reduces the stress on the vent plastic as it clips on that I could feel when I was testing using the single filament.

Just thought I would share if anyone is interested, I have put the design files up on Thingiverse (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2479022)

IMAG0247[1].jpg

IMAG0245[1].jpg

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

Alienware 13 R3, 7700HQ, 16GB 2667MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

Huh pretty cool. 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Smart.

@Bananasplit_00 Congrats on 10k posts.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Smart.

@Bananasplit_00 Congrats on 10k posts.

Thanks, necrod the old LAN PC thread for my 10 000th post lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, haft2doit said:

Very nice.  Makes me want a 3d printer :)

ive been trying to justify buying one for a while. used them a lot in highschool (took engineering courses) and have loved them since. they are just expensive and the money is better off being used for college

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb

2 hours ago, SlipperyPete said:

ive been trying to justify buying one for a while. used them a lot in highschool (took engineering courses) and have loved them since. they are just expensive and the money is better off being used for college

The first one I brought was actually a crowd funded machine (about the only success story I have from crowd funding!). It was a small machine that I got as a kit - a Huxley which was based off of the Prusa Mendel - so a print envelope of 140x140x80mm. I eventually started to out grow the size constraints so designed and built my own machine. One of the main things it has (other than an envelope of 200x200x180mm) is the ability to use 2 extruders. Part of the reason I built my own was in part for fun, but also it made it more manageable. It took me almost 3-4 months to get it built, using the smaller Huxley to print off the plastic parts I needed to build it. Although probably no cheaper that buying a pre-desgined kit, it spread the cost out making it much more manageable.

I was finally able to justify to 'the other half' when our Dyson vacuum broke the plastic connector at the top of the extension tube. Dyson wanted something like £60 for a new one! I pulled the old broken one off, used my trusty vernier caliper to measure it off, modelled it in CAD and then printed a new one for about £0.50 in plastic. I even improved the design, beefing up the plastic in the area it failed. That was some 6 years ago and it is still going strong :D

When I got my printer I got it mostly to make enclosures for my electronic projects, but I have used it for so much more. From silly little things, to cookie cutters, car phone holders, my RetroPie console, small drawers for electronic parts and nuts/bolts and Christmas ornaments!

If you are willing to build a machine, I saw that GearBest has one for $165 (http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_624058.html?currency=GBP&vip=760164&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8b_MBRDcARIsAKJE7lnykptAA9rDTeZDRhCvTWZtc7ydJ7zFmZ9soxMAy6wZwIxh93FNzqkaAjfMEALw_wcB) I have nothing to do with them just one I found on a quick google search :D

Ryzen 1700 4GHz OC, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard, Corsair 32GB 3000MHz RAM, Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super

Alienware 13 R3, 7700HQ, 16GB 2667MHz RAM, GTX 1060 6GB

7 hours ago, smartroad said:

The first one I brought was actually a crowd funded machine (about the only success story I have from crowd funding!). It was a small machine that I got as a kit - a Huxley which was based off of the Prusa Mendel - so a print envelope of 140x140x80mm. I eventually started to out grow the size constraints so designed and built my own machine. One of the main things it has (other than an envelope of 200x200x180mm) is the ability to use 2 extruders. Part of the reason I built my own was in part for fun, but also it made it more manageable. It took me almost 3-4 months to get it built, using the smaller Huxley to print off the plastic parts I needed to build it. Although probably no cheaper that buying a pre-desgined kit, it spread the cost out making it much more manageable.

I was finally able to justify to 'the other half' when our Dyson vacuum broke the plastic connector at the top of the extension tube. Dyson wanted something like £60 for a new one! I pulled the old broken one off, used my trusty vernier caliper to measure it off, modelled it in CAD and then printed a new one for about £0.50 in plastic. I even improved the design, beefing up the plastic in the area it failed. That was some 6 years ago and it is still going strong :D

When I got my printer I got it mostly to make enclosures for my electronic projects, but I have used it for so much more. From silly little things, to cookie cutters, car phone holders, my RetroPie console, small drawers for electronic parts and nuts/bolts and Christmas ornaments!

If you are willing to build a machine, I saw that GearBest has one for $165 (http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d-printer-kits/pp_624058.html?currency=GBP&vip=760164&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8b_MBRDcARIsAKJE7lnykptAA9rDTeZDRhCvTWZtc7ydJ7zFmZ9soxMAy6wZwIxh93FNzqkaAjfMEALw_wcB) I have nothing to do with them just one I found on a quick google search :D

thanks i really appreciate this. i had a fellow student in the engineering program who designed his own out of 2x4s and whatnot. i was very impressed and didnt know that was a thing more people did. 165 is a very manageable price for a printer. i will seriously consider this as an option. thanks :)

Main Rig | Personal Build | Windows 10 | R7 2700x 3.7~4.3ghz | ASUS ROG Strix B450-I | 16gb DDR4 3200mhz | GTX 1080 FE | Coolermaster Elite 130 | Corsair H60 | WD Blue SN500 500GB NVMe SSD + 1tb WD Green HDD + 1tb WD Blue HDD

Laptop | HP m6-w102dx | Windows 10 | i7-5500u 2.4~3.0ghz | 8gb DDR3L | GT 930m 2gb| 120gb Sandisk SSD

Phone | Pixel 3 | Verizon | 64gb