Conversion of SFP+ to another connector

oceloL

Hi,

This is my first post.

In my company we are working on a new technique which i will not go in to.

The data will be exposed over a 10Gbit DA/SFP+ (active copper) connection (vendor-less)  but the actual data throughput will remain around 1Gbit/s. FYI there is no server/switch or any networking equipement involved.

We need to convert this SFP+ connector to a more common (preferably RJ45 or 1Gbit/s SFP) connector. We are aware of the speed difference but maybe somehow you can suggest something to get around that.

From what i found online is that it is possible but the equipment selection is quite vague.

Can you guys help me?

GLC-T is the connector to drop a 10Gbit SFP+ down to 1Gb copper.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

so correct me if im wrong, i plug this GLC-T into the SFP+ (10GB/s) socket and this will output RJ45 (1Gb/S)? 

Edited by oceloL
clearify

6 minutes ago, oceloL said:

so correct me if im wrong, i plug this GLC-T into the SFP+ (10GB/s) socket and this will output RJ45 (1Gb/S)? 

So long as the port supports it, yes.

There are some ports and switches that will not step down their speed but most of them will.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Most SFP+ ports will support "1.25Gb" SFPs (SFPs that give a gigabit connection, either fiber or copper, actually communicate with the device you connect them to at 1.25Gb/s). If your host device's SFP+ port supports gigabit SFPs, then you can insert any standard SFP. Note that many vendors also lock their hardware to only use SFPs that they sell themselves, but there are third party ones available that emulate first-party parts. Standard SFPs are available with either fiber or RJ45 connectors. The GLC-T is just the cisco model for an SFP with RJ45 - other vendors use other model numbers for this.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: