1060 3gb vs 1060 6gb

GetMoosed

Hey guys I was just looking for opinions on whether or not you thought it worthwhile to spend the extra money and upgrade to a 6gb model rather than upgrading to the 3gb?

keeping in mind that the 6gb would be scrapping the bottom of the barrel for me at $400CAD While the 3gb is $289

Both cards are referring to the EVGA SC 1060 3gb and 6gb respectively

Any response is appreciated! Thanks

Neither, get something used.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

For $100 more definitely not, like the others said try finding a used 980

Ion (Main Build)                                                                                        Overall Setup

i5 6500 3.2 GHz                                                                     -Blue snowball (White) thanks goodwill

MSI Mortar Arctic                                                                   -Logitech K120

Asus 1060 6GB Dual                                                             -Logitech Daedalus Prime G302

PNY CS1311 120 GB                                                            -Mousepad I made in 1st grade with my name on it                                                 

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB                                                              

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT White 16GB (8x2GB) 2400

NZXT S340 White

Corsair CXM 450W 

Lenovo H320 (Old Pre-built PC)                                      Possible upgrade for H320          

i5 650 3.2 GHz (heh)                                                                                    Xeon X3470

Motherboard unknown                                                       Same Motherboard

iGPU                                                                                   GT 1030 (MSI Low Profile Half Height)

Crucial 240GB SSD                                                           Crucial 240GB SSD

6GB DDR3 (4+2GB)                                                           8-10GB DDR3 (4+2+2GB/4+4+2GB)

Lenovo H320 case                                                             Lenovo H320 case

Unknown PSU (210W?)                                                     Same PSU (210W?)    

The thing is it depends on what games you play, and what resolution and potential frame rates [standard 60? or highs into the 144s?]

essentially some games can be quite VRAM demanding. TechDeals did a great video which I've watched, you should check it out below if you need a bit of clarification as he spoke most details...

If it was in for me, I'd say the 1060 3GB would look like the better deal as 110$ more for extra 3GB vram isn't justifiable. but back to the first question you have to answer that for my answer to be quite definitive.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers

50 minutes ago, xsimplyjosh said:

The thing is it depends on what games you play, and what resolution and potential frame rates [standard 60? or highs into the 144s?]

essentially some games can be quite VRAM demanding. TechDeals did a great video which I've watched, you should check it out below if you need a bit of clarification as he spoke most details...

If it was in for me, I'd say the 1060 3GB would look like the better deal as 110$ more for extra 3GB vram isn't justifiable. but back to the first question you have to answer that for my answer to be quite definitive.

1080p and 60 frames is great with me :) 

Thanks a lot for our thoughtful answer too

A lot of people seem to be suggesting that I find a used 980 (Thank you for all of your responses by the way) Just how much better is the 980 over the 1060?

I have an odd feeling I may be needing more than 3gbs of vram if I want to future proof my gpu a bit more?

With between (depending on which review you read/watch) only around 5-10% performance difference and very few applications where the V-Ram becomes a roadblock where 3gb is the problem the price sweetspot of the lover card makes it a good deal

I'm personally averse against buying used, in general for anything especially electronics. People usually never tell me the truth in how long they used or they can't cough up a receipt for proof of purchase reasons. Even friends who sells me used stuff I will refuse also because I don't trust anyone.
I tend to buy brand new for warranty purposes "SHOULD" the product fail on me, at least i can take it up to the manufacturer directly as i have proof of purchase and all the details.

Buying used if they can't cough up proof of purchase [if still under warranty] also provides no use since you can't literally prove how you got your item for XX years of duration. and if it dies u are probably out of luck... and u cough up more cash than you should for repairs... 

obviously my scenario above can't be described for everyone as some are running on tight budget its ok too, this is just how i see things my own way.

Maybe things like PSU i "may" buy 2nd hand because those things are built like a tank. Especially if it comes fro a reputable manufacturer like eg, CM/Corsair to name a few. if they can cough up a proof of purchase/invoice it helps me more as the warranty can be still carried over should it be still within the timeframe.

But everything else i'll buy brand new irregardless. Because I have intentions of carrying them all the way at least a minimum of 7 years and longer if possible.

I mean after 6 years i went from 1080p standard 60hz to 1440p high 165hz and that technically influences my decision on what parts i must curate around, for another 6-10 years. now i know its not dramatic as jumping from 1080p to 2160p [4k] but I favor the high refresh rates for the silky smooth factor and 1440p looks just the nice resolution bump i need even if it's a modest increase in contrast to 4k we are talking about 80% more real estate,

where as we are very far from seeing high frame rates on 4k as of yet especially on a single card. [i put SLI/CF configuration out because i feel not all games take advantage of this]

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K | Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270H | Graphics Card: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti OCEdition | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3000MHz |Storage: 1 x Samsung 830 EVO Series 250GB | 1 x Samsung 960 PRO Series 512GB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 1TB | 1 x Western Digital Blue 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM750x 750W 80+ Gold Power Supply | Case: Cooler Master MasterCase 5 Pro |

Cooling: Corsair H100i v2 // 4x Corsair ML140 RED Fans // 2x Corsair ML120 RED Fans 
---

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 1440p 165Hz IPS G-Sync | Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Red LED, Cherry MX Brown Switches | Mouse: Corsair Glaive RGB | Speakers: Logitech Z623 THX Certified Speakers