Fractal Design Define R5 front door mod

lexidobe

I have a front mounted 240MM radiator in my Fractal Design Define R5 cooling my CPU and GPU. I noticed that with the door open, I consistently got about 4 degrees lower temps than with the door closed. I did a mod to the sides of the front panel where the vents are. I used wire cutters and cut out every other bar of plastic on both sides. I now have a bar, no bar, bar pattern. That mod was not a failure, the CPU and GPU only run 3 degrees cooler with the door open now. But I am thinking that if I cut out the center of the front door and cover the hole with mesh, I would get a lot more airflow than if it could just pull air in from the sides. Would that lower temps? Thanks.

ok so technically having your rad on a open test bench is the best way of doing things with litterally nothing blocking it but theres also the practical side of it were a case stop things being damage and banged and limits dust 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

Or you could get the Mechify C which is the latest thing from fractal. It's like the Define C TG but with a mech front. Anyway I wouldn't cut up the case, I'd just take the panel off. Less work, same level of looks

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I think if it's something you would like to do, why not do this.  could be fun.  However depending on what the temps are would the few degrees be worth the effort.  If it is the difference between throttling and not then sure.  If it runs cool enough as is maybe not.  If the temp of the liquid in the tubes is over 60c then yes.  If within spec, then no.  Always fun to do some modding though.  At any rate you are already doing some modding so you may just plain want to tinker.  In which case I say go to town.