Google Wifi experience - speed, range, connection quality

just_dave

Hello, i'd like to ask Google Wifi users, whats ur experience with this system, how good coverage do you get, is the speed same as on ethernet?

Also, will the wifi be able to penetrate 25cm steel reinforced concrete to reach another AP?

Can the second port on the main device be used as ethernet for my PC?

Thanks

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

Wireless will never be the same speed as wired.

There is no wifi system I know of that can penetrate ~10 inches of steel and concrete.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

25cm steel reinforced concrete to reach another AP

Only chance is a wire

My life

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

There is no wifi system I know of that can penetrate ~10 inches of steel and concrete.

He was asking about 25 cm, because who cares about inches. Metric ftw.

And I doubt your statement is true. I once lived in an appartment, and I could pick up wifi signals from neighbours 2 homes away. Weak, but functional. And I used to have concrete walls like topic starter was talking about. Soo...

Well my RT-N18U makes it through the concrete fairly well, but like 5 meters sideways and 4 meters under the router are only 2-1 strips on my OP3T. I just don't know how the antena in the Wifi is, this one should have 2*2 dBi.

Also fuck imperial nonsense units and bullshit fahrenheit degrees

9 minutes ago, dave_k said:

Well my RT-N18U makes it through the concrete fairly well, but like 5 meters sideways and 4 meters under the router are only 2-1 strips on my OP3T. I just don't know how the antena in the Wifi is, this one should have 2*2 dBi.

Also fuck imperial nonsense units and bullshit fahrenheit degrees

Define "well"

As far as I can tell, the Google Wifi uses the 5GHz band for the mesh technology and the router you've got is 2.4GHz only which will have a better chance to penetrate the wall. Dedicated antennas will do better than the small ones inside the Google Wifi as well for longer range and penetration. So if you're only getting half of the signal or less on 2.4GHz then you're probably not going to get any on the 5GHz band.

Also, long live Freedom Units!

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Also, long live Freedom Units!

USA is the only country dumb enough to use these units (:

Also, do you think if i invest to a more expensive router like some bad ass Asus, would it cover more?

2 minutes ago, dave_k said:

USA is the only country dumb enough to use these units (:

Also, do you think if i invest to a more expensive router like some bad ass Asus, would it cover more?

Freedom units!!! Taste our freedom!!!! *freedom explosion* lol, our units are dumb but we're too stubborn to change now :)

You would have better luck with a single more powerful unit, get one that has a large dB gain or can have it's antennas swapped out for even more powerful ones

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Freedom units!!! Taste our freedom!!!! *freedom explosion* lol, our units are dumb but we're too stubborn to change now :)

You would have better luck with a single more powerful unit, get one that has a large dB gain or can have it's antennas swapped out for even more powerful ones

I was thinking about the聽ASUS RT-AC87U which costs 1/2 as google wifi and should have strong antenas