A few questions about expanding Swiftech H240X

Go to solution Solved by Napper198,

@WhiteSkyMage

I run the original waterblock, an EK Titan Pascal and an additional 360 rad on it and I'm still fine with just 25% PWM power on it.

If you don't change the tube size and if you're fine with having 2 barb fittings then you don't need to change anything, but if you want to change one thing you'll need the adapter and 2 G1/4 fittings for that. The adapter just gives you a standard G1/4 thread on the pump like the one in the red circle.

Hey guys,

I have decided to watercool whatever GPU I will be upgrading to this month or next one. So, I have an Open loop liquid cooler, the one that Linus reviewed a couple of years ago on NCIX - the Swiftech H240X.

I am thinking about changing ALL the fittings and the tubing on that cooler, because I will need to buy a 240mm radiator to fit on the front of my C70 Vengeance case, and I am not a fan of using barb fittings to be honest...

My only questions are:

FIRST - will the MCP30 pump be enough to hold 2 more components (a radiator and a GPU)?

SECOND - how do you suggest I change this fitting circled in RED (look down on the attached image)? Do you think I can put a G1/4 fitting there?

radiator.jpg

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

15 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Hey guys,

I have decided to watercool whatever GPU I will be upgrading to this month or next one. So, I have an Open loop liquid cooler, the one that Linus reviewed a couple of years ago on NCIX - the Swiftech H240X.

I am thinking about changing ALL the fittings and the tubing on that cooler, because I will need to buy a 240mm radiator to fit on the front of my C70 Vengeance case, and I am not a fan of using barb fittings to be honest...

My only questions are:

FIRST - will the MCP30 pump be enough to hold 2 more components (a radiator and a GPU)?

SECOND - how do you suggest I change this fitting circled in RED (look down on the attached image)? Do you think I can put a G1/4 fitting there?

radiator.jpg

First, This is based off EK's expandable AIO. If the pump is similar(Which I'm guessing it is) then you can do the same thing. They stated you could add another 240 rad Plus another Waterblock (GPU). Beyond that they suggest going with a custom loop.

Second the one with the green arrow is bolted on (I don't think you can replace that one). The one in red also looks like it's bolt to the housing(Unless there a way to unscrew it on the other side). You may be stuck with those barb fittings.

Personally if your going to be adding more parts, You might as well go with a full custom loop with a D5 pump.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

6 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

First, This is based off EK's expandable AIO. If the pump is similar(Which I'm guessing it is) then you can do the same thing. They stated you could add another 240 rad Plus another Waterblock (GPU). Beyond that they suggest going with a custom loop.

Second the one with the green arrow is bolted on (I don't think you can replace that one). The one in red also looks like it's bolt to the housing(Unless there a way to unscrew it on the other side). You may be stuck with those barb fittings.

Personally if your going to be adding more parts, You might as well go with a full custom loop with a D5 pump.

I can tell you that the green one is replacable because Swiftech are the ones that sell this http://www.swiftech.com/G1/4-ADAPTER.aspx

Now it is out of stock but I know where to get one.

The only issue I find is the other one but it seems like it is possible to replace... TechofTomorrow has done a build with changed fittings. I think if you start changing fittings, you gotta change them all, but it seems that one fitting, the one in red, is always a barb fitting. I've seen it always being a barb in every build... Perhaps they only change the actual fitting or maybe they don't change it at all...

Intel Core i9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | 32GB GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Watercooled | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

5 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

I can tell you that the green one is replacable because Swiftech are the ones that sell this http://www.swiftech.com/G1/4-ADAPTER.aspx

Now it is out of stock but I know where to get one.

The only issue I find is the other one but it seems like it is possible to replace... TechofTomorrow has done a build with changed fittings. I think if you start changing fittings, you gotta change them all, but it seems that one fitting, the one in red, is always a barb fitting. I've seen it always being a barb in every build... Perhaps they only change the actual fitting or maybe they don't change it at all...

I never dealt with there AIO, I know EK's AIO you can replace every fitting very easily, There all normal G 1/4 fittings.

8 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I never dealt with there AIO, I know EK's AIO you can replace every fitting very easily, There all normal G 1/4 fittings.

Hold on a sec, i just figured, I don't need to change them. Swiftech really made it confusing by switching the ID/OD specifications around. It's the same tubing and barb fittings. Alright... I can actually stay with 2 barb fittings the way they are now cuz the tubing will fit a 3/8 x 5/8 ID/OD compression fitting on my GPU and radiator.

The only reason I wanted to change the fittings is because Thermaltake has LED fittings that can light up my system and not for any other reason...

2 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Hold on a sec, i just figured, I don't need to change them. Swiftech really made it confusing by switching the ID/OD specifications around. It's the same tubing and barb fittings. Alright... I can actually stay with 2 barb fittings the way they are now cuz the tubing will fit a 3/8 x 5/8 ID/OD compression fitting on my GPU and radiator.

The only reason I wanted to change the fittings is because Thermaltake has LED fittings that can light up my system and not for any other reason...

You are aware there for Hardtubing Only? I posted about LED fittings in other post, I repeat here only grab those LED if you runs are small & have very little bends. The longer light has to travel the more light with degrade & will not light up the entire tube. Not to mention all the wiring you have to hide.

I know someone who used those fittings & he said if he had to do it over again he would not get those fittings, due to all the wiring they have.

ThermalTake doesn't make the best quality of products. The controller box is very spotty.

If you want LED light inside the tubing I suggest using these: https://www.alphacool.com/alphacool/de-aurora-ht-led

RGB version is coming Soon.

There are other companies who make LED fittings too & work better.

1 minute ago, Revan654 said:

You are aware there for Hardtubing Only? I posted about LED fittings in other post, I repeat here only grab those LED if you runs are small & have very little bends. The longer light has to travel the more light with degrade & will not light up the entire tube. Not to mention all the wiring you have to hide.

I know someone who used those fittings & he said if he had to do it over again he would not get those fittings, due to all the wiring they have.

ThermalTake doesn't make the best quality of products. The controller box is very spotty.

If you want LED light inside the tubing I suggest using these: https://www.alphacool.com/alphacool/de-aurora-ht-led

RGB version is coming Soon.

There are other companies who make LED fittings too & work better.

Thanks that would make my work a lot easier... I was gonna probably crap myself with those fittings but i just want it to look awesome...you know...

@WhiteSkyMage

I run the original waterblock, an EK Titan Pascal and an additional 360 rad on it and I'm still fine with just 25% PWM power on it.

If you don't change the tube size and if you're fine with having 2 barb fittings then you don't need to change anything, but if you want to change one thing you'll need the adapter and 2 G1/4 fittings for that. The adapter just gives you a standard G1/4 thread on the pump like the one in the red circle.

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

1 minute ago, Napper198 said:

@WhiteSkyMage

So you mean that the one in red circle is already a G1/4 thread?

I am obviously going to be taking off the barb fittings from the CPU block cuz they are ugly...

1 minute ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

So you mean that the one in red circle is already a G1/4 thread?

I am obviously going to be taking off the barb fittings from the CPU block cuz they are ugly...

yes it is

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

Just now, Napper198 said:

yes it is

Alright, so that makes things a lot easier, cuz I can unscrew the barb easily and fit a compression fitting there if that's the case. The one on the pump i don't really need to touch cuz it's already conveniently placed.

Anyway thanks a whole lot mate. :)