The Ultimate Home Network

Untippable

My WIFI connection is very slow and ive always wanted to have a badass Home Network what Hardware should i buy first? (Except from ISP Contract)

Define "badass", budget, speed provided by ISP, wiring situation (do you have ethernet cabling in the house already), etc.

Like, if you want badass and money to burn you could easily spend millions on stupidly over-powered gear :D 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Define "badass", budget, speed provided by ISP, wiring situation (do you have ethernet cabling in the house already), etc.

I don't have a budget yet because i have no idea of the prices , my speed is very shit its only 3.10mps ow and i have no wiring.

Just now, Untippable said:

I don't have a budget yet because i have no idea of the prices , my speed is very shit its only 3.10mps ow and i have no wiring.

Alright, so some good wireless coverage, maybe a small switch, and possibly a powerline adapter or two.

What do you have provided by your ISP now? What make/model is the device? Don't want to suggest something you can't use or maybe not suggest a router if you've got one and instead we can focus on wireless coverage only :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Alright, so some good wireless coverage, maybe a small switch, and possibly a powerline adapter or two.

What do you have provided by your ISP now? What make/model is the device? Don't want to suggest something you can't use or maybe not suggest a router if you've got one and instead we can focus on wireless coverage only :) 

I've got a SKY router and a my ISP is Sky but i dont know the exact model of the router but im pretty sure its the newest model

4 minutes ago, Untippable said:

If you have a phone or laptop or any portable device set it right next to the router and do a speedtest.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

If you have a phone or laptop or any portable device set it right next to the router and do a speedtest.

I did and i have a 3.37mbps download and a 0.69mbps upload and 30ms ping

Are you in a house of some sort or apartment building?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Are you in a house of some sort or apartment building?

I am in a semi detached flat

2 minutes ago, Untippable said:

I did and i have a 3.37mbps download and a 0.69mbps upload and 30ms ping

is that the same all around the house?

If so then there's not much you can do.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

is that the same all around the house?

If so then there's not much you can do.

It does get worse and goes down to 2mbps in some parts of the house.

I am in a semi detached flat

Alright. My suggestions are as follows:

500Mbps or 1000Mbps powerline adapter kit, should cost maybe 60 to 75 pounds. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA8010P-KIT-Powerline-Configuration-UK-x/dp/B00UTG32TQ

5 port gigabit unmanaged switch, should cost maybe 30 pounds. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS105UK-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Ethernet/dp/B0000E5SEQ/

Ubiquity AP, should be around 130 pounds. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Alright. My suggestions are as follows:

500Mbps or 1000Mbps powerline adapter kit, should cost maybe 60 to 75 pounds. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-PA8010P-KIT-Powerline-Configuration-UK-x/dp/B00UTG32TQ

5 port gigabit unmanaged switch, should cost maybe 30 pounds. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS105UK-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Ethernet/dp/B0000E5SEQ/

Ubiquity AP, should be around 130 pounds. Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UBIQUITI-NETWORKS-UBI-UAP-AC-PRO-5Ghz-1300Mbps/dp/B016XYQ3WK

Very Nice can you explain me which each one does im ameatur sorry

rewire the entire house to have ethernet in the wall.

have all the connections come into a single closet where you have them plugged into a rack mounted patch panel

use patch cables to go from the panel to a rack mount managed switch which is then plugged into your router, then your modem.

enjoy your ultimate home network

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Very Nice can you explain me which each one does im ameatur sorry

Powerline will get you internet from the box to a specific point in the home, I know you're looking at doing a server as well so depending on where the internet comes into the home you can either:

1. put the server in a room and use powerline to get internet to it

2. put the server in the same room as the ISP router and connect it via switch that way and then use the powerline kit to bring internet to the AP and place that in a more central location.

A switch will allow you to have multiple devices access the network at the same time, and the AP will provide good wireless coverage for a sizeable area.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Powerline will get you internet from the box to a specific point in the home, I know you're looking at doing a server as well so depending on where the internet comes into the home you can either:

1. put the server in a room and use powerline to get internet to it

2. put the server in the same room as the ISP router and connect it via switch that way and then use the powerline kit to bring internet to the AP and place that in a more central location.

A switch will allow you to have multiple devices access the network at the same time, and the AP will provide good wireless coverage for a sizeable area.

Could i plug in a powerline adapter in a room then attach a 5 port gigabit unmanaged switch. Then in a another room put a another powerline adapter and attach the AP to it

1 minute ago, Untippable said:

Could i plug in a powerline adapter in a room then attach a 5 port gigabit unmanaged switch. Then in a another room put a another powerline adapter and attach the AP to it

Yah, that could work pretty well I think. I would like someone else to chime in on powerline interoperability when you have multiple powerline boxes but I believe they should be able to co-exist together without much issue, I'm 99% sure it won't be an issue but if someone else can confirm that would be nice :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Just now, Lurick said:

Yah, that could work pretty well I think. I would like someone else to chime in on powerline interoperability when you have multiple powerline boxes but I believe they should be able to co-exist together without much issue.

Great thanks for the help im going to start buying the things when i get back from holiday or i might buy the things when im on holiday :)

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, that could work pretty well I think. I would like someone else to chime in on powerline interoperability when you have multiple powerline boxes but I believe they should be able to co-exist together without much issue, I'm 99% sure it won't be an issue but if someone else can confirm that would be nice :) 

Do you have discord ?