Upgrading from an AKG 612Pro

bariseray

I've had the AKG 612 pro for a few years now and want to grab a better pair of cans soon. I've been using them with a FiiO E07K. I love how comfortable and light they are and think they are a really good pair of cans for the cost, however I've been thinking of getting a new one for a while since I've had them for so long. 

I've got a budget of around 250 dollars. I was thinking of the Sennheiser HD650 or Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X. Would this be a good upgrade from what I have? I use it primarily for gaming and listening to (non-EDM) electronic music. Would the hd650 require a better amp dac than what I currently have? 

Any other open ear headphone recommendations are appreciated.

Might not be an upgrade, seeing as the AKG line of K6--/7-- headphones are a little cleaner in the bass. The HD 650 has more bass, though. So, it depends on your personal preferences. The K612 is a good headphone for the money so I would hesitate to upgrade from it unless you have specific aspects of the sound that you want to improve.

I'm inclined to agree with SSL. Unless you're planning to drop close to double your budget, the difference in quality just doesn't seem worth it.