Can a 240w power supply run a gtx 1050ti?

WhoSaidThat
Go to solution Solved by H0R53,
2 minutes ago, WhoSaidThat said:

so you mean i can add a gtx 1050ti

Yes.

Ok so im gonna order a gtx 1050ti, but i dont know if i have a big enough power supply my cpu is i-5 6400 2.7GHz 8gb ram ddr3 and my pc is a dell inspiron 3650, please help :)

don't think so, might need an upgrade

I like to kill hardware. In 2016 alone I have killed 20 Xeon 5160, and 10+ Pentium 4. 

You would be pushing extremely close to your PSU's limit as the 6400/1050ti consume an estimated 140w by themselves. That leaves only 100w for all other components. 

I would suggest against it.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

it should work fine. that's a 65w TDP CPU, and the 1050Ti pulls around 60-70w from the PCIe slot. 

entire system should add up to around 200w. 

people say 'oh lol that won't work' - 3770+1050Ti in a prebuilt dell, a common system, hits 75w under load without the GPU, for a total under load with the GPU of 160ish watts. 500GB7200RPM HDD inside. 

idk

For future reference, you can use this.

I probably would err on the side of caution and not use it. 

Pushing a PSU too far can be dangerous whether you blow a cap or fuse or it just dies. i wouldn't want the potential power spike ruing my other hardware.

Asus Z77 Sabertooth, Intel Core i5 3570k 4.2 GHz, EVGA GTX 780, Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ,

Samsung EVO 250&500Gb, Western Digital Black 2TB,  Corsair RM 750

Custom Water Loop

CPU Block Koolance 380iGPU Block EKWB Clean CSQPump Laing DDC w/ EKWB X-RES 100Radiatiors NexXxoS Monsta 240 & Swiftech 240x35Tubing PrimoChill Primoflex Advanced LRT Elegant White 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFittings White Monsoon Free Centre Compression Fittings 3/8" ID 5/8" ODFans6x Noctua NF-F12 w/Noctua LNA Adaptors

so it will work?

and if so do you guys know a power supply taht will fit my pc becasue i couyldnt find any

12 minutes ago, WhoSaidThat said:

Ok so im gonna order a gtx 1050ti, but i dont know if i have a big enough power supply my cpu is i-5 6400 2.7GHz 8gb ram ddr3 and my pc is a dell inspiron 3650, please help :)

Who's the OEM on that Dell PSU? If it's Delta, I would trust the unit to actually handle close to 240W. If it's anyone else, not a chance.

I'd feel better about the load if you had a 6400T. If the PSU can actually push 240W--and that's not a given--you're probably ok.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

2 minutes ago, WhoSaidThat said:

and if so do you guys know a power supply taht will fit my pc becasue i couyldnt find any

No, that's about as proprietary as even Dell PSUs get. Your best option for a PSU upgrade might be to set your better PSU on the table behind the PC and run the cables through the hole in the back where the original PSU was, if that makes sense.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

6 minutes ago, WhoSaidThat said:

so it will work?

3 minutes ago, WhoSaidThat said:

It's a custom PSU, so I don't think any PSUs besides the Dell unit will work in it. 

However, PCPerspective has actually gotten one of your systems and used a 1050Ti in it, see here: https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Upgrade-Story-2-Using-GTX-1050-Ti-convert-OEM-PC-Gaming-PC

idk

Just now, WhoSaidThat said:

what do you mean by if its anyone else

If it's manufactured by any OEM other than Delta (the "manufactured by" should be on the sticker), I would be highly suspect of that PSU's ability to carry 240W.

Remember to quote people when you reply, or we'll never know to look back at this thread and answer you.

On 8/6/2017 at 9:19 PM, aisle9 said:

If it's manufactured by any OEM other than Delta (the "manufactured by" should be on the sticker), I would be highly suspect of that PSU's ability to carry 240W.

Remember to quote people when you reply, or we'll never know to look back at this thread and answer you.

oh im pretty sure my motherboards an oem

23 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I doubt it, honestly. Big companies like Dell and HP usually have pretty decent power supplies in their systems that are rated quite honestly. 240W is not anything too impressive, so I quite firmly believe that's an honest rating. I highly doubt he'll have any problem running that GPU of his. Plus the computer's load probably will be around 125W when gaming, so really it shouldn't be any problem.

Seeing how your PC is a Dell prebuilt, it's safe enough to say that your PSU is from a decent OEM (such as Delta or Chicony) and isn't a piece of crap that can't supply enough power on the 12V rail.

240W is more than enough for a i5-6400 and a GTX 1050Ti. You'd be fine.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

7 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

I doubt it, honestly. Big companies like Dell and HP usually have pretty decent power supplies in their systems that are rated quite honestly. 240W is not anything too impressive, so I quite firmly believe that's an honest rating. I highly doubt he'll have any problem running that GPU of his. Plus the computer's load probably will be around 125W when gaming, so really it shouldn't be any problem.

I had an HP power supply die on me for no reason once, and a 300w dell PSU I used to have struggled over 150w, took a couple of tries to get it to stay on.

Sync RGB fans with motherboard RGB header.

Main rig:

Ryzen 7 1700x (4.05GHz)

EVGA GTX 1070 FTW ACX 3.0

16GB G. Skill Flare X 3466MHz CL14

Crosshair VI Hero

EK Supremacy Evo

EVGA SuperNova 850 G2

Intel 540s 240GB, Intel 520 240GB + WD Black 500GB

Corsair Crystal Series 460x

Asus Strix Soar

Laptop:

Dell E6430s

i7-3520M + On board GPU

16GB 1600MHz DDR3.

Just now, unknownmiscreant said:

I had an HP power supply die on me for no reason once, and a 300w dell PSU I used to have struggled over 150w, took a couple of tries to get it to stay on.

I've seen a Corsair RMx blow up, too. That doesn't make me recommend them any less.

1 hour ago, WhoSaidThat said:

Yes

1 hour ago, Sentryy said:

don't think so, might need an upgrade

Wrong

1 hour ago, Moress said:

You would be pushing extremely close to your PSU's limit as the 6400/1050ti consume an estimated 140w by themselves. That leaves only 100w for all other components. 

I would suggest against it.

Wrong again

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

it should work fine. that's a 65w TDP CPU, and the 1050Ti pulls around 60-70w from the PCIe slot. 

entire system should add up to around 200w. 

people say 'oh lol that won't work' - 3770+1050Ti in a prebuilt dell, a common system, hits 75w under load without the GPU, for a total under load with the GPU of 160ish watts. 500GB7200RPM HDD inside. 

Will work fine

1 hour ago, kachel94 said:

For future reference, you can use this.

I probably would err on the side of caution and not use it. 

Pushing a PSU too far can be dangerous whether you blow a cap or fuse or it just dies. i wouldn't want the potential power spike ruing my other hardware.

Lame

43 minutes ago, turkey3_scratch said:

Dell PSUs are the best on the market

35 minutes ago, unknownmiscreant said:

Because HP sucks monkey anus

44 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Seeing how your PC is a Dell prebuilt, it's safe enough to say that your PSU is from a decent OEM (such as Delta or Chicony) and isn't a piece of crap that can't supply enough power on the 12V rail.

240W is more than enough for a i5-6400 and a GTX 1050Ti. You'd be fine.

Dell PSUs are the best, running a GTX 660Ti on a 300W Optiplex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my signature is my media PC. It's got a 250W SFF power supply.

I'm running a 120W GTX 55Ti OVERCLOCKED and an i5 3470 with 8GB RAM, as well as an ODD and two hard drives. Never had any problems.

I'm also running a GT 620 at the same time in a cut 1x slot.

I ran a GTX 580 in a 300W PSU just fine.

Just now, H0R53 said:

Yes

Wrong

Wrong again

Will work fine

Lame

Dell PSUs are the best on the market

Because HP sucks monkey anus

Dell PSUs are the best, running a GTX 660Ti on a 300W Optiplex

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my signature is my media PC. It's got a 250W SFF power supply.

I'm running a 120W GTX 55Ti OVERCLOCKED and an i5 3470 with 8GB RAM, as well as an ODD and two hard drives. Never had any problems.

I'm also running a GT 620 at the same time in a cut 1x slot.

I ran a GTX 580 in a 300W PSU just fine.

so can i do it? will it work?

Just now, H0R53 said:

Yes, and you will have power to spare.

whatg does that mean

Just now, WhoSaidThat said:

whatg does that mean

Just now, H0R53 said:

Yes, and you will have power to spare.

and im talking about can i get a gtx 1050ti in my pc