What does Linus use his server for?

Untippable

I've been wondering for a while what does linus use his server and how does he host this forum?

Which server?

Several are for backups and fast storage for editing raw footage at 10Gb/s

The forum is hosted off-site by SquareSpace I believe.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

The servers you see at the videos are mostly used for storage. He also got a surveillance server. I doubt he is hosting this forum at his own server though.

Just now, Jarno. said:

I doubt he is hosting this forum at his own server though.

If the Floatplane infrastructure is any indication, the forums are hosted on servers on OVH's networks.

- the forum is on a very well made server in a very well designed datacenter, nice and seperate from the rest that is LMG.

- the company website (linusmediagroup) is hosted by squarespace

- they have an off-site backup server in a datacenter *somewhere*

- in the harry (colton) potter clouset they have a whole range of servers performing all tasts at LMG that can be done on a server:

- - take recordings from their cameras and encode it into whatever they use to edit with

- - store the footage

- - provide extremely fast network storage for the editors to work off

- - crunch the output video into the formats they use to upload to the vareous platforms

- - security system

- - probably a whole lot more

12 minutes ago, Jade said:

If the Floatplane infrastructure is any indication, the forums are hosted on servers on OVH's networks.

if they chose OVH for floatplane, i'm not surprised by that decision, they offer some very scalable options, insanely fast turnaround times when ordering, and seem to be very affordable. they also seem to be exceptional at filling market gaps :P

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

- the forum is on a very well made server in a very well designed datacenter, nice and seperate from the rest that is LMG.

- the company website (linusmediagroup) is hosted by squarespace

- they have an off-site backup server in a datacenter *somewhere*

Most datacenters are well designed.

How do you know it's hosted by SquareSpace? It's not even a SquareSpace site and the DNS points to Cloudflare.

They've got multiple -- one of which is in Linus' house, as per one of the previous videos; I believe it's mentioned in the series of moving all of his and his wife's machines into a rack in a closet at home.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

if they chose OVH for floatplane, i'm not surprised by that decision, they offer some very scalable options, insanely fast turnaround times when ordering, and seem to be very affordable. they also seem to be exceptional at filling market gaps :P

Absolutely, but I don't see why they'd host Floatplane on an entirely different network than the forums; seems potentially counterproductive -- at least right now. I know Floatplane is going to be moved off to its own site down the line, but it hasn't been yet. Not to mention OVH's European network is excellent, and I believe they include some form of DDoS protection for relatively cheap... if not no cost. Grats on 20k posts, by the way.

2 minutes ago, Jade said:

Most datacenters are well designed.

How do you know it's hosted by SquareSpace? It's not even a SquareSpace site and the DNS points to Cloudflare.

it was to jab at the kludge job linus did on the potter clouset :P

because its part of the sponsor segment ;)

2 minutes ago, Jade said:

Absolutely, but I don't see why they'd host Floatplane on an entirely different network than the forums; seems potentially counterproductive -- at least right now. I know Floatplane is going to be moved off to its own site down the line, but it hasn't been yet. Not to mention OVH's European network is excellent, and I believe they include some form of DDoS protection for relatively cheap... if not no cost. Grats on 20k posts, by the way.

i'd guess because the stuff the forum runs off is already taxed enough, and they want floatplane to be a seperate entity, kind of like an "LMG buisiness venture", rather than an "LTT forums feature"

and indeed, i'm appareantly wasting a lot of time on the forum :P

Just now, manikyath said:

it was to jab at the kludge job linus did on the potter clouset :P

because its part of the sponsor segment ;)

i'd guess because the stuff the forum runs off is already taxed enough, and they want floatplane to be a seperate entity, kind of like an "LMG buisiness venture", rather than an "LTT forums feature"

That's not a datacenter, that's a rack in a closet. ;)

Where did you see the sponsor agreement? I know sponsors usually provide something, but I don't think I've ever seen or heard Linus say/mention the site was hosted by Squarespace?

Well, by that logic, "the cloud" wouldn't work, since someone else is using the network. They can still host everything at OVH on their own machines -- ie Server1 is for the forums, and Server2/Server3 are for Floatplane; completely separate sets of hardware, just on the same network.

Just now, Jade said:

Where did you see the sponsor agreement? I know sponsors usually provide something, but I don't think I've ever seen or heard Linus say/mention the site was hosted by Squarespace?

it used to be mentioned on the wan show i think.

1 minute ago, Jade said:

Well, by that logic, "the cloud" wouldn't work, since someone else is using the network. They can still host everything at OVH on their own machines -- ie Server1 is for the forums, and Server2/Server3 are for Floatplane; completely separate sets of hardware, just on the same network.

i meant more like, they are using different kinds of hosting solutions, that arent directly "related" to each other. (for example, they wouldnt be sharing an uplink, an SQL server, or the like)

so they may be using coloc for the forum, but rely on VPS or similar tech for floatplane.

1 hour ago, Lurick said:

The forum is hosted off-site by SquareSpace I believe.

I can guarantee you that the forum isn't hosted with SquareSpace ^^

58 minutes ago, manikyath said:

so they may be using coloc for the forum, but rely on VPS or similar tech for floatplane.

I can safely say that the forum is hosted on a BEEFY dedicated server and all Floatplane is also hosted on dedicated hardware.

1 minute ago, CatBoiler said:

I can guarantee you that the forum isn't hosted with SquareSpace ^^

I can safely say that the forum is hosted on a BEEFY dedicated server and all Floatplane is also hosted on dedicated hardware.

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you move to Montreal to work on FPC, or were you there beforehand? 

Just now, Jade said:

Thanks for the confirmation. Did you move to Montreal to work on FPC, or were you there beforehand? 

I'm born in the region of Montreal, LMG / FPM would love if I was to relocate to Vancouver ^^

1 hour ago, Jade said:

Cloudflare is just there to prevent any DDoS. I don't know if company website is hosted with SquareSpace but its well known its made with SquareSpace. SS has been LMG sponsor for very long time.

1 hour ago, Jade said:

Absolutely, but I don't see why they'd host Floatplane on an entirely different network than the forums; seems potentially counterproductive -- at least right now.

I don't understand how it would be counter productive. With modern internet speeds and all that. If anything, it would be better as successful DDoS attack to or offline time on one wouldn't affect on another.

1 hour ago, Jade said:

I know Floatplane is going to be moved off to its own site down the line, but it hasn't been yet.

Not knowing much I know that what you see and whats going on in background can be and usually are very different. The fact that interface is currently with forums doesn't mean content would need to be.

Btw, its still funny to see people think forums are hosted in-house. Either in LMG office or at Linus' house. They have been on external location since mid/late-spring 2013. After Linus caused fatal error by throwing USB stick to then-forum-server machine (they talk about it in early WAN Show).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Cloudflare is just there to prevent any DDoS. I don't know if company website is hosted with SquareSpace but its well known its made with SquareSpace. SS has been LMG sponsor for very long time.

I don't understand how it would be counter productive. With modern internet speeds and all that. If anything, it would be better as successful DDoS attack to or offline time on one wouldn't affect on another.

Not knowing much I know that what you see and whats going on in background can be and usually are very different. The fact that interface is currently with forums doesn't mean content would need to be.

Btw, its still funny to see people think forums are hosted in-house. Either in LMG office or at Linus' house. They have been on external location since mid/late-spring 2013. After Linus caused fatal error by throwing USB stick to then-forum-server machine (they talk about it in early WAN Show).

Yep, I'm aware, but I was unsure of how mani would have found it out, given it's not posted on the site anywhere and you can't look up who owns the IPs of the site.

Bandwidth is fast, sure, but latency can/will matter when you're trying to provide extremely fast streaming & scrubbing times, like Floatplane does (which Luke has claimed is a very high priority.) 

Correct, but I assume there's stuff stored on the forums that is required to be given access to the files stored on Floatplane servers (ie to stream a video).

Never said forums were hosted in house; I've been saying OVH the entire time.

7 hours ago, Jade said:

Never said forums were hosted in house; I've been saying OVH the entire time.

Not you, but thats first assumption when someone asks where are forums hosted.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv