Help with buying new headset/headphones?

Hello all! :)

I have thus far been using speakers for my audio solution (Tannoy ones where there are two satellites where both include their own subwoofer. costs around 1000$ new) and I love it, but lately the connection solution has failed badly. This is because the connection is a copper wired end of wire you stick into a hole and hope for it to make connection with the other wire…

So I was therefore thinking about something new and since I want to game at night, travel a lot with my computer and likes wearables I would like to get myself a hi-end headset/pair of headphones. I have on that occasion been looking at the new Razer Forged headphone with a external mic solution (not something that hangs on the headphones, but something like a Blue Snowball or Yeti) or the MMX 300 modified/personalized to cost 404 Euros.

I listen to a lot of Electro, Techno, Dubstep, whatever you would call Rammstein and the occasional other music genre. I also play games like AC4, Skyrim, Metro: Last Light, Farcry 3 etc. and likes high volumes :) I would like some very comfy headphones, but do not care about the weight that much.

Is there anything else you would recommend then these two options and what would you recommend for the mic with the Razer Forged ones?

Thanks for your time everyone! :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

God do not buy that shit razer headphone. Great, now I'll have to deal with that crappy headphone for years.

Just use a little common sense - buy an "audiophile" headphone from a gaming company, or buy headphones from a company whose been in the audio business with real headphones for over 25 years?

If you want a headset get something from sennheiser. I suggest you get something else though like a blue snowflake and a dt 990 with an amp.

anything from beyerdynamic like 770 or custom one pro s otherwise sennheiser 558

Razer. for gamers by gamXXXXXXXXX

Razer for gamers by people who don't know shit about sound

welcome to the cult of razer

get a beyerdynamic headphone either the custom one pro or the dt770

if you need it to look good then a vmoda

God do not buy that shit razer headphone. Great, now I'll have to deal with that crappy headphone for years.

Just use a little common sense - buy an "audiophile" headphone from a gaming company, or buy headphones from a company whose been in the audio business with real headphones for over 25 years?

If you want a headset get something from sennheiser. I suggest you get something else though like a blue snowflake and a dt 990 with an amp.

Linus seemed to like them so who knows? Maybe they are actually not crap ;)

Anyway: I really hate the looks of the Dt 990s so they are a bit of a no go for me unfortunately :/ If anyone wants a budget it is around 350-500 Euros depending on the situation at time of purchase (around Christmas).

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

if you need it to look like a forged then look at an akg k550 something that sounds like it was made from an audio company and not something that sounds like a razer.   and hey if you really really want something that sounds like a razer and looks good around your neck there are plenty of beats by dre headphones out there

heck if you still want something that is from a "gaming peripheral" company get something from the logitech ultimate ears label. the 6000 and 9000 are great headphones.

He specifically said he does not like them.

Wtf is wrong with people?

For 310 USD you can get a pair of V-Moda M-100s, the ones I'm wearing right now. They have extremely good (metal) build quality, are foldable and come with a hard shell carry case for travelling and also have a very good sound signature that delivers punchy, tight bass without comprimising on the higher end. For the music genres you mentioned, I would HIGHLY reccommend that sort of setup, it works great and sounds amazing. Other good points about the set is they have detachable cables that can plug into either earcup, you get two different cable delivered standard, one with an in-line mic and one with a splitter for the option of letting someone else listen in with you. The cables are also braided in kevlar, making them very unlikely to be damaged in transit by anything. Another thing to note about this is that if you DO ever have a failed connector or cable, you have redundancy at every point in the chain. You have 2 earcup sockets, two cables and ANY 3.5mm cable will function, including both 3 and 4 pole connectors. The impedance is 32ohms, so you can use them in any mobile device and you do not need a dedicated amp for them or anything, although I would reccommend using them with a sound card or external DAC for the best possible sound.

And lastly I would point out that you can also purchase a microphone to go with it, the BoomPro microphone, for 40 bucks which plugs into the earcups and terminates in a 4-pole jack or a splitter for seperate audio and mic signals. to use at your computer, sounds great so I would definitely reccommend that if you go with these. This microphone also uses a standard 3.5mm jack so you can use it with any headphones that have detachable cables just like the M-100s. (Not the Krakens since I think they use a special connector, a 2.5mm or something so you can only use their cables)

Reading this back it almost looks like an advert for the damn things, but I promise I'm not affiliated with them or anything :P , they're just a really good product that I think suits your needs perfectly. They cost pretty much the same as the Krakens, are built as solidly, are comfortable, portable and I will guarantee you they sound better as well.

You can even customise them to your liking, get a custom logo laser etched onto them and get a free set of swappable metal side plates in whatever colour you fancy. They don't even charge you for the engraving you just need to wait a couple days longer for delivery while they sort that out. http://v-moda.com/crossfade-m-100/

4_m_100_matte_black_laying_case_square_w

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

He specifically said he does not like them.

Wtf is wrong with people?

What? I seem to remember him saying that he could´t find many bad things to say about them at all, but maybe I am just extremely tired...

Tor

What? I seem to remember him saying that he could´t find many bad things to say about them at all, but maybe I am just extremely tired...

The whole sound section was about how they are overly bass heavy. You could get V-Moda's Crossfade LP for a hundred bucks if you wanted an overly bass heavy headphone.

Remember, he can't say things too negatively or companies will stop sending him stuff to review.

Anyway: I really hate the looks of the Dt 990s so they are a bit of a no go for me unfortunately :/ If anyone wants a budget it is around 350-500 Euros depending on the situation at time of purchase (around Christmas).

Linus said the opposite. Why are you buying a pair of headphones based on looks? Nobody will see you wear them, and neither will you when they're on your head.

He said that vocals (mids) were bad. I'm assuming the bass was bloated and treble was average or slightly under. It's a standard razer driver in a new enclosure, it's not good.

The whole sound section was about how they are overly bass heavy. You could get V-Moda's Crossfade LP for a hundred bucks if you wanted an overly bass heavy headphone.

Remember, he can't say things too negatively or companies will stop sending him stuff to review.

I did kind of laugh when he mentioned the o2/ODAC. At least he's getting the point now!

I did kind of laugh when he mentioned the o2/ODAC. At least he's getting the point now!

I can't wait till we start hearing about some design flaw that makes them break in a few months.

I can't wait till we start hearing about some design flaw that makes them break in a few months.

But it's made out of aircraft grade aluminium! (So are the cases/panels on the amp)

Folding headphones are a bad design, it makes a really easy point of failure on them and honestly who carries around expensive headphones?

But it's made out of aircraft grade aluminium! (So are the cases/panels on the amp)

Folding headphones are a bad design, it makes a really easy point of failure on them and honestly who carries around expensive headphones?

I like expensive headphones, but not when they have some OEM driver inside that doesn't compete with similarly priced headphones.

Ehhhhhmmmm...I do? :unsure:

Unless you wanna use IEMs (and I really don't), what else is a budding audiophile supposed to do? And trust me, the joints on these are more than sturdy enough, I think the connectors'll wear out before those things break.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Ehhhhhmmmm...I do? :unsure:

Unless you wanna use IEMs (and I really don't), what else is a budding audiophile supposed to do? And trust me, the joints on these are more than sturdy enough, I think the connectors'll wear out before those things break.

Wait until you get home? I use the headphones that came with my iPhone 5 and they sound good enough. I don't know about you but all of my high end headphones are open, so bothering other people on a plane isn't what I'm after.

History tends to repeat itself, so let's wait and see how many headphones break at the joint from the folding design.

Wait until you get home? I use the headphones that came with my iPhone and they sound good enough. I don't know about you but all of my high end headphones are open, so bothering other people on a plane isn't what I'm after.

History tends to repeat itself, so let's wait and see how many headphones break at the joint from the folding design.

The M-100s are closed, you're not bothering anyone, that's one of the reasons they're perfect for portable use. And seriously these joints will take your finger off before they break, plus they come with a hard shell carry case that any reasonable person would place them in to prevent twisting etc.

And no I will not "wait until I'm home", that's a non-argument.

The M-100s are closed, you're not bothering anyone, that's one of the reasons they're perfect for portable use. And seriously these joints will take your finger off before they break, plus they come with a hard shell carry case that any reasonable person would place them in to prevent twisting etc.

And no I will not "wait until I'm home", that's a non-argument.

Well then lets agree to disagree. 

lel, another case of Mr eBay talking off topic because he isn't paying attention to the conversation

lel, another case of Mr eBay talking off topic because he isn't paying attention to the conversation

I answered the question.  :P

Well then lets agree to disagree. 

Just don't make me use those dreadful Apple thingies okay? :P

Just don't make me use those dreadful Apple thingies okay? :P

Actually the apple ear pods sound very good for $30. Better than any IEM I ever tried on, but to be fair, I have small, weird ears. So most don't fit me and thus sound bad. 

I answered the question.  :P

SirRoderick was talking about some V-Modas that he already owns.  :rolleyes:

Actually the apple ear pods sound very good for $30. Better than any IEM I ever tried on, but to be fair, I have small, weird ears. So most don't fit me and thus sound bad. 

Welllllllllll....you know....yeah...whatever you like you know :D

Personally I will never give up over ear headphones.