Why I cannot upgrade.

EnergyEclipse

Why I cannot upgrade.

So I have owned of my i7 4790 for around 2 years now, the thing absolutely shreds through most games to which I desire to play currently and I'd imagine it still has left some time of life in it. But say I wanted to get an upgrade which would allow me to overclock, such as an i7 7700K.

Now in my country an i7 7700K is a reasonably priced for what it is £335.

But then what would I also have to get?

More RAM, 16gb DDR4:

+£125

Oh wait! I'd need a new socket! What does that mean? A new motherboard, one capable of overclocking at that:

>£90.

So, what originally was meant to be a £335 upgrade turned out to become £550.

yay.

:(

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

slap in a 4790k. Sell your current 4790 and it'd only cost an extra ~£40 or so. (minus cooler cost)

Or sell your current ram, cpu and motherboard, and it'll cost less than £300 to upgrade. the 4790's have held their value quite well. they still go for £150+ on eBay. and 16gb kits of ddr3 still go for 80+

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

and that is why I too, will struggle with upgrading anything but my GPU, but I run a 5+ Yr old PC (server)

OOo 1050ti (cries in silence) -- Nath xD 

Just now, RKRiley said:

slap in a 4790k.

Sell your current 4790 and it'd only cost an extra ~£40 or so. (minus cooler cost)

No, but that is my point xD I cannot overclock at all being on a H81 chipset D: Nvm I don't plan to upgrade for ages as I love my system to bits right now anyhow, just I'd just think that this kind of an issue is something relevant to point out for right now as it probably isn't just me with this worry at the back of there mind :3

Just now, EnergyEclipse said:

No, but that is my point xD I cannot overclock at all being on a H81 chipset D: Nvm I don't plan to upgrade for ages as I love my system to bits right now anyhow, just I'd just think that this kind of an issue is something relevant to point out for right now as it probably isn't just me with this worry at the back of there mind :3

ah didn't realise current chipset. yeah it probably wouldnt be worth the upgrade for you, given the cost of it for a (somewhat) mininal performance gain.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I haven't seen any socket or chipset lasting more than two generations of processors. Except for say Socket 1 or something.

AM3+ ???

Current Build

Successful Builds

Spoiler
Spoiler

Sadly M.Yurizaki, that is true...

2 minutes ago, Gungpae said:

AM3+ ???

Okay, it supported three. But I stopped caring about that socket when Bulldozer proved to be such a disappointment.

EDIT: However I could alter my goal posts: I haven't seen any socket last more than two generations without backwards compatibility. AM3+ was meant for Bulldozer. It just happened to support AM3 processors.

Just go on eBay and buy a used 4790K, they go for £259 and then get a nice Z97 board for another £60 and you're all set. 

Quote me so I can reply back :) 

MY PC-> PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA T2 1000W 80 Plus Titanium MOTHERBOARD: ASUS X370 Crosshair VI Hero CPU: RYZEN 7 3700X RAM: G.Skill 32GB (4X8GB) DDR4 3200MHz C14 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 HYBRID STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD; 2TB WD Caviar Blue; Crucial MX500 500GB SSD CUSTOM LOOP: EK-Velocity Nickel + Plexi CPU block, EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Acetal + Nickel GPU Block w/ EK-FC1080 GTX Ti Backplate, EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM, EK-CoolStream PE 240 w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Chromax fans, EK-ACF Fitting 10/13mm Nickel, Mayhems UV White tubing 13/10mm, 3x Noctua NF-S12A Chromax case fans

What I'm doing is getting a new case and CPU+mobo+ram and waiting to see how much the 7700k goes down since I'm getting a Z270 board with a G4560 but I'll see when the price goes down so you could try to do a £300 upgrade if you can get the G4560 and a z270 board for cheap

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

what.. you can just buy an I7 4790K

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

unless you really need a new rig, I would say wait for coffee lake and the next gen cards.

Core i7 7700k Kabylake stock + Kraken x52 | ASUS Z170-A | 8GB DDR4 2133MHz HyperX | ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 STRIX 6GB | 250GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO + 2TB HDD WD RE4 | Seasonic X-Series 650w | Corsair 460x RGB  | Win 10 Pro 64 bit | Corsair M65 PRO RGB Mouse | Corsair K70 RGB RapidFire

20 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

So, what originally was meant to be a £335 upgrade turned out to become £550.

that's how it always turns out. :( 

when i see people put together a new build and talk about how they want an upgrade path for the next 5 years and "future proof" and all that ... i have to resist the urge to tell them that there will be not much to upgrade after 5 years. not with brand new parts at least. 

19 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

I don't plan to upgrade for ages as I love my system to bits right now anyhow

problem solved i guess :D

if only everyone could and would build a system that would make them happy for long enough so they can skip one or two generations of new hardware completely and then start fresh and build a new 5+ year system with whatever is on the market right at that time 

13 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

when i see people put together a new build and talk about how they want an upgrade path for the next 5 years and "future proof" and all that ... i have to resist the urge to tell them that there will be not much to upgrade after 5 years. not with brand new parts at least. 

if only everyone could and would build a system that would make them happy for long enough so they can skip one or two generations of new hardware completely and then start fresh and build a new 5+ year system with whatever is on the market right at that time 

I was planning to go all out with a 5960x, 32GB of RAM newest high-end GPU and all that fun of building a new PC and water-cooling it. But meanwhile got my hand on a E5-1650v2, motherboard and RAM so I just bought storage, case, PSU and a second hand 980 (which at the time was still awesome as I bought it before the 10xx series, and it still looks like new, had the protection foils on it too).

To be perfectly honest I still wouldn't mind to go all out, though now so many choices out there. But I'm happy with what I've got so that kinda throws my excitement off for spending that much on a new system if my current one can do everything I need it to for now.

As for OP, well I guess go get some more RAM, more is always better xD... Better SSD and dunno wait a few more months and get a new GPU too? CPU wise not really worth upgrading as of yet. I guess. Unless you want to start doing some more things than gaming but yeah either way 500gbp+ expense if you do do that.

Just have some fun :P

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12; GPU: GeForce RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision OC V2 10GB; PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified; RAM: 4x32GB (w/RGB xd); SSD: 1xM.2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB, 1xM.2 Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, 1xWD 6TB HDD; OS: 10; Monitor: 2xAorus IPS 27" (2560x1400)Keyboard: Corsair K95; Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000 w/ Steelseries QcK mousepad.

Laptop - HP Omen 15" w/5800U, GPU 3070, 1TB M.2 WD Black, 16GB RAM.

1 hour ago, bruny06 said:

Just go on eBay and buy a used 4790K, they go for £259 and then get a nice Z97 board for another £60 and you're all set. 

:[ Famalam if it were not to have been for this:

I would probably have begun considering the i7 4790K... DD:

Nvm though CHIPSET H8! FOR DA WIN!

1 hour ago, zeros said:

As for OP, well I guess go get some more RAM, more is always better xD... Better SSD and dunno wait a few more months and get a new GPU too? CPU wise not really worth upgrading as of yet. I guess. Unless you want to start doing some more things than gaming but yeah either way 500gbp+ expense if you do do that.

Just have some fun :P

Both my father and I have the exact same SSDs in our systems and there insanely quick for helping us both get the tanks before everyone else in Battlefeild 4, and boot takes at maximum 4 seconds until login so I'm not complaining there xD 980ti is still absolutely demolishing games at 1440p full AA so fine there also :3 Also can't get any more RAM without a new motherboard and I wouldn't really need any more I don't think but anyway, thank you very much for your reply!

1 hour ago, KenjiUmino said:

I remember getting my ancient Zotac GTX 960 and believing that it would absolutely shred games for years to come...

Anyhow @Nath_Unknown is still kicking with a Core 2 Quad 9650 & a GTX 470 and his system is running perfectly on even Battlefield 4, and honestly the only thing he plans to upgrade on it is his GPU.

The highest end 9 year old CPU and its still running fine, but is an example that if you want to "Future Proof" the only way of doing that is to buy the best for the time your living in.

1 hour ago, Nath_Unknown said:

Sadly M.Yurizaki, that is true...

Nath you can reply directly to someone so that they get a notification of your reply to them by putting "@" at the beginning of there name :D

@energyeclipse I know ?, just sounds more natural xD

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:23 PM, EnergyEclipse said:

I remember getting my ancient Zotac GTX 960 and believing that it would absolutely shred games for years to come...

Anyhow @Nath_Unknown is still kicking with a Core 2 Quad 9650 & a GTX 470 and his system is running perfectly on even Battlefield 4, and honestly the only thing he plans to upgrade on it is his GPU.

The highest end 9 year old CPU and its still running fine, but is an example that if you want to "Future Proof" the only way of doing that is to buy the best for the time your living in.

ideally you don't want to wait for as long as i had, as now I have to consider what games I can get with specs in mind, however 5 years rest should be fine, if technology doesn't suddenly have a golden age ?

I've also got to figure out how to for under £100 (wished for under £50 but won't happen) to get rid of a Packard Bell 5066's innards and replace them with some fm2/fm2+ apu's and suitable mobo and ram

Edited by Nath_Unknown
forgot a detail

Why I cannot upgrade
My PC/CPU is 7 freaking years old, I would literally need to replace EVERYTHING at this point since I also wouldn't trust a new PC with this aging PSU, that would easily cost me over $2k Canadian rupees for something remotely "future proof", $3k if I include a good gaming monitor and peripherals to go with it. If we forget the fact I literally cannot find a single GPU that's currently In-Stock and isn't overpriced by third party sellers anyway, thus essentially preventing me from even upgrading to begin with.

A 2 years old PC is still perfectly fine today, CPUs ipc hasn't increased that much in the last 2 years.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro