Good Buy for $500?

5 minutes ago, QuickSilver04 said:

I found this computer for sale on Craigslist for $500. Owner says he's only had it for 3 weeks. The PSU and motherboard seem to be the only parts I'm sketched out by. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101473 

Will be used for 1080p gaming and some video editing

Thanks for any help!

Haggle it down as far as you can start with 425 if price isnt too much of a concern. The motherboard shouldnt matter but psu might be upgraded if you want to game for 3+ years

Just now, Aidanlockett1 said:

Haggle it down as far as you can start with 425 if price isnt too much of a concern. The motherboard shouldnt matter but psu might be upgraded if you want to game for 3+ years

Don't worry OP. PSU most definitely will not be an issue. Just use it until it gives out. This computer won't ever go above 300Watts.

8 minutes ago, QuickSilver04 said:

I found this computer for sale on Craigslist for $500. Owner says he's only had it for 3 weeks. The PSU and motherboard seem to be the only parts I'm sketched out by. 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883101473 

Will be used for 1080p gaming and some video editing

Thanks for any help!

that's a pretty good rig for 1080p gaming tbh, and the i7 will do well for video editing(try using adobe, it's more lightly-threaded). motherboard should be fine but ask for pics of the psu. an FSP or Delta unit should be fine for use.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

lowball him by meeting in in person and (very important) start at $250. No, you wil not get it for this price, but I always lowball the crap out of somebody to start to get the very lowest price. It is very very important to do this in person because if you do this over email, he will leave you. 

if he lowballs too much he might be ignored and not evven get it in the first place

2 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

Don't worry OP. PSU most definitely will not be an issue. Just use it until it gives out. This computer won't ever go above 300Watts.

if the psu frys or explodes it can damage graphics card motherboard harddrives and more

lowball him by meeting in in person and (very important) start at $250. No, you wil not get it for this price, but I always lowball the crap out of somebody to start to get the very lowest price. It is very very important to do this in person because if you do this over email, he will leave you. 

idk. if you lowball somebody that much they may be incline to just not sell it to you. I know I would.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

idk. if you lowball somebody that much they may be incline to just not sell it to you. I know I would.

exactly, ive lowballed and lost good deals like this

Buy it, sell the RX 480. The PC is paid for.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

try this in singapore and you stand a pretty good chance of the seller ignoring and/or blocking you for it. pretty sure it's a similar case elsewhere.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Heres the trick to lowballing. You have to meet the person in a public place. Thus the person has invested the time and emergy to transport the system somewhere to make a sale. If you make him drive a distance to make a sale, you have trapped him and he doesn't want to be turned down. This is why lowballing only works in person, because the person is trapped into the possibility in a sale.

Fair point but usually people like to set prices prior to driving out 

Heres the trick to lowballing. You have to meet the person in a public place. Thus the person has invested the time and emergy to transport the system somewhere to make a sale. If you make him drive a distance to make a sale, you have trapped him and he doesn't want to be turned down. This is why lowballing only works in person, because the person is trapped into the possibility in a sale.

yeah that requires you to make them meet in a public place. I wouldn't sell to someone who is making me go and transport the stuff. either they come to me or they can buy someone else's stuff.

2 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I never do that. I always say "I wil meet you at XYZ" and I will check it out. We will discuss pricing there.

Nearly every person I know has been fine with this and if they ask for a price range, I give them a huge range. 

Honestly I live in california, NO one I know would drive out at least 10 miles before setting a price most i could conceive is 5 miles, stuff in cali is expensive like gas

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

I never do that. I always say "I wil meet you at XYZ" and I will check it out. We will discuss pricing there.

Nearly every person I know has been fine with this and if they ask for a price range, I give them a huge range. 

yeah that may be true for you but I know alot of people who wouldn't go for that. time is a valuable thing and most people wont waste it on a possible sale. you must have encountered people who really needed to sell their stuff bad because if they don't idk why someone would do this.

Doing that also cuts off many potential customers. People understandably don't want to walk into a random strangers house, into their property, and sometimes into their basement, just to save $50 om something. There is so much craigslist horror stories that for the sake of both me and the seller, it is customary where I live in michigan for people to meet in a public place. Even if it's very close to their house. 

Also you won't say to them "I was looking to get it for $250" no, that doesn't work. You say "at $250 the price would be great, but I know you won't sell it for that. Let's start negotiating".

Im in california no one is gonna be happy with 200 dollars on a 250 item its the way we do things here its weird i know

Doing that also cuts off many potential customers. People understandably don't want to walk into a random strangers house, into their property, and sometimes into their basement, just to save $50 om something. There is so much craigslist horror stories that for the sake of both me and the seller, it is customary where I live in michigan for people to meet in a public place. Even if it's very close to their house. 

Also you won't say to them "I was looking to get it for $250" no, that doesn't work. You say "at $250 the price would be great, but I know you won't sell it for that. Let's start negotiating".

yeah where I live stuff like that doesn't really happen and people are quite trusting.

3 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

yeah also who is going to drive out someplace for a potential sale? I mean nobody s going to do something like that when you can easily agree apon the price before hand. also its pretty common practice to have them come to you in pc hardware sales for testing purposes.