Will AMD Vega be good for mining?

maartendc

Hello everyone,

This will no doubt be a controversial topic, but I was wondering: Will the Vega cards be good for mining? Or do we just not know at this point? Has AMD said anything about the mining capabilities? Since they use a completely different architecture from the RX400/RX500 series I assume, perhaps they won't?

AMD is trying to incentivize gamers buying the cards by giving discounts in conjunction with monitors and Ryzen CPU's: http://www.anandtech.com/show/11680/radeon-rx-vega-unveiled-amd-announecs-499-rx-vega-64-399-rx-vega-56-launching-in-august/2

Should I take away from this bundling that AMD is worried the miners will buy all the Vega cards up? I sincerely hope that is not the case.

On a sidenote: seems like the value of Ethereum has stabilized a little bit over the past two weeks. So perhaps not a major crash as we first thought? https://www.worldcoinindex.com/coin/ethereum

Cheers!

iirc. some Coins do not like high latency memory so HBM is a big nono for miners and plus that high power consumption. I think its safe to say that Vega "for now" can be safe from miners not unless new coin will appear for Vega.

The norms in which determines the measure of morality of a human act are objective to the moral law and subjectively man/woman's conscience

Not really, unless they can get the power consumption way down and some coins that benefit from HBM2 come out.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Agree with you guys, the card would have to be earning them a boat load of coins to make it worth it. That being said, I wish the GPU companies could make some cards designed for mining so maybe us real consumers that use the cards the way they are meant to be used, could actually get one lol

Huh, interesting. I would think performance would scale with power consumption, although that is not necessarily true.

The comment about the memory being different is a good point, I had heard that as well. That was presumably the reason miners didnt go for the GTX 1080 because it uses GDDR5X memory instead of regular GDDR5.

17 minutes ago, EaglesEye85 said:

Agree with you guys, the card would have to be earning them a boat load of coins to make it worth it. That being said, I wish the GPU companies could make some cards designed for mining so maybe us real consumers that use the cards the way they are meant to be used, could actually get one lol

I believe Nvidia and AMD were planning to put out mining cards without display outputs specifically for miners. Presumably at reduced price and perhaps less power consumption. These cards have not come out yet though.

20 minutes ago, EaglesEye85 said:

I think that is or was the plan but the proposed cards were literally just the same GPU as consumer cards but with 0 display ports and a shorter warranty, which makes no sense to buy, since why would I want a shorter warranty period and limited resale potential. 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

miners simply do not buy 600$USD+ graphics cards for mining...there is too much diminishing returns as you go up the ladders...from a profitability standpoint it's better to buy the mid-range cards instead.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Lurick said:

I think that is or was the plan but the proposed cards were literally just the same GPU as consumer cards but with 0 display ports and a shorter warranty, which makes no sense to buy, since why would I want a shorter warranty period and limited resale potential. 

Well according to this article, the mining specific cards would have improved hash rates over standard cards at the same price (+36%), and be specifically designed to run 24/7.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251725-gpu-manufacturers-building-new-cryptocurrency-specific-mining-cards

1 minute ago, maartendc said:

Well according to this article, the mining specific cards would have improved hash rates over standard cards at the same price (+36%), and be specifically designed to run 24/7.

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251725-gpu-manufacturers-building-new-cryptocurrency-specific-mining-cards

Yah, I've seen conflicting report on if there will be any improved hashrates or not. Depends on who you listen to :) 

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

15 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Should I take away from this bundling that AMD is worried the miners will buy all the Vega cards up?

if they happen to find out that VEGA is good for mining, they will come flying like flies to a fresh steaming dung heap.

i slowly start to hate miners - the "big" miners that is

i'm not hating on this kind of guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

if everyone would just buy 4-6 cards and be happy that would still have left enough cards on the market for gamers.

and the frame is kinda cool. it shows that this person does care for more than a fast buck. 

... but pictures like THIS really piss me off:

1126523305_e5uart.jpg

these assholes are the ones that ruin it for everybody else.

they ruin it for gamers because they are the ones that buy up entire truckloads of graphics cards.

they ruin it for other miners because they drive the difficulty through the roof in a matter of weeks and soon everybody will need a warehouse full of graphics cards to stay in business.

14 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

miners simply do not buy 600$USD+ graphics cards for mining...there is too much diminishing returns as you go up the ladders...from a profitability standpoint it's better to buy the mid-range cards instead.

That is a good point, usually the high end cards offer diminishing returns on performance.

However, at least for gaming, the GTX 1080 offers 20% more gaming performance than the GTX 1070 at 20% more expense. I don't know if mining performance scales with gaming performance, but if it does, the memory type was the only thing holding miners back to buy up 1080's.

13 minutes ago, KenjiUmino said:

if they happen to find out that VEGA is good for mining, they will come flying like flies to a fresh steaming dung heap.

i slowly start to hate miners - the "big" miners that is

i'm not hating on this kind of guy:

maxresdefault.jpg

if everyone would just buy 4-6 cards and be happy that would still have left enough cards on the market for gamers.

and the frame is kinda cool. it shows that this person does care for more than a fast buck. 

... but pictures like THIS really piss me off:

1126523305_e5uart.jpg

these assholes are the ones that ruin it for everybody else.

they ruin it for gamers because they are the ones that buy up entire truckloads of graphics cards.

they ruin it for other miners because they drive the difficulty through the roof in a matter of weeks and soon everybody will need a warehouse full of graphics cards to stay in business.

indeed, these miners are the cancer of the PC community

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64