Should I paint a 970?

Ricardo56

I'm planning on getting a msi gtx 970 gaming 4gb, it doesn't have warranty so I'm not too worried about voiding it.

The thing is it just came to my mind that when it's in the actual PC you don't see much of the shroud so it shouldn't interfere too much with the white/black theme I'm going for.

Either that or I can try trading for a black and white 970, but I have no idea of any good models. Galax has them but their site isn't working beyond the first page and Asus doesn't seem to have them either...

less than 200 bucks but a 1060 goes for 230 or a 1050 ti for like similar price less than 200 bucks

3 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

180 euro

good deal, 1060 3g cards are going for 240€

3 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

Butyou can probaly get a used 980

My life

9 minutes ago, 10xephos01 said:

is there a reason you aint going a gtx 10 series

1 minute ago, Tiwaz said:

I was wondering if anyone knew what it would look like if I painted the red part white :) might also use one of those riser pcie cards to make the shroud face the glass, but it's probably a hassle anyway 

Just now, Himommies said:

if he could he would have already. I never saw a used gtx 980 for less than 250€

If you feel comfortable about doing it and know what you are doing you should definitely mod it.

Hello

Just now, Himommies said:

Don't get me started on 980's, I was looking at a 160€ one yesterday, talked to the guy and next thing I know he just vanished from the website, not even his acc made it ._.

Just now, Tiwaz said:

if he could he would have already. I never saw a used gtx 980 for less than 250€

You can probaly negotiate to 180.I assumed you could because 980s are 200 in the us 

My life

1 minute ago, Ricardo56 said:

I was wondering if anyone knew what it would look like if I painted the red part white :) might also use one of those riser pcie cards to make the shroud face the glass, but it's probably a hassle anyway 

msi made some black and white cards some sort of special editions

Just now, Tiwaz said:

msi made some black and white cards some sort of special editions

Same design?

14 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Same design?

I think you should go for the 970 Armor card instead (not sure of that's the English name. In Chinese we call it the White Tiger because that's what's on the box). If you really want to paint a card, make sure you paint the shroud only, not the fan, PCB, anything else.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

7 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I think you should go for the 970 Armor card instead (not sure of that's the English name. In Chinese we call it the White Tiger because that's what's on the box). If you really want to paint a card, make sure you paint the shroud only, not the fan, PCB, anything else.

armor cooler=garbage

6 minutes ago, Tiwaz said:

armor cooler=garbage

14 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

found one

17 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

It's really a shame Asus doesn't have the Dual OC gtx 970 (I didn't find it)

they do have this but... 300€ isn't worth it imo

2 hours ago, TAHIRMIA said:

If you feel comfortable about doing it and know what you are doing you should definitely mod it.

Hey uhmm just found this thread (no idea if I can link to other forums, sorry mods :c ), do you think I'd get away with taping over the parts I don't want to paint white? And is there any specific kind of paint for this? (I was thinking a glossier look would be dope)

2 minutes ago, Ricardo56 said:

Hey uhmm just found this thread (no idea if I can link to other forums, sorry mods :c ), do you think I'd get away with taping over the parts I don't want to paint white? And is there any specific kind of paint for this? (I was thinking a glossier look would be dope)

They can be taken apart and are held in place with screws IIRC, for the cleanest look I would suggest to take apart for painting.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1520772/small-mod-for-my-msi-gtx-970

For paint options any general spray paint will work but for white and blacks automotive and artists spray paints are usually the most bright and vibrant.   

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

They can be taken apart and are held in place with screws IIRC, for the cleanest look I would suggest to take apart for painting.

Tbh after watching the vídeo I linked, I think I want to go a bit beyond just painting those two tiny red parts, since it looks kind of monotone and I wanted to mimic the face of a white tiger. If I mess up the paint I can just rub some thinner/solvente or is that not an option?

Tbh after watching the vídeo I linked, I think I want to go a bit beyond just painting those two tiny red parts, since it looks kind of monotone and I wanted to mimic the face of a white tiger. If I mess up the paint I can just rub some thinner/solvente or is that not an option?

Not they would need to be sanded down carefully to remove the paint, if you want an easily revertible option plasti-dip would be ideal since it's a removable rubber coating. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

Not they would need to be sanded down carefully to remove the paint, if you want an easily revertible option plasti-dip would be ideal since it's a removable rubber coating. 

Hmm... then I guess I will have to not screw up on the tape part :D

Hmm... then I guess I will have to not screw up on the tape part :D

I would take the shroud off the card at least so you don't have to content with it when painting. 

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

I would take the shroud off the card at least so you don't have to content with it when painting. 

I knew at least that much :) I was also planning on somehow replacing the fans but that'd be in the future, about 6 months or so, depending on how it goes