How should I upgrade?

Currently, I'm running the FX-6100 on my Asus M5A78L which is outdated even if you don't consider the following:

-My SSD is SATA3 6Gb/s running on a SATA2 3Gb/s Mobo

-My GPU, the GTX 980, is overkill for this CPU (I gradually traded up from a GTX 460 which took about 7 trades and an extra 100$)

-There are 3 case fans for 1 fan header

-My case has a USB 3 header, without a plug on my Mobo

-I'm still on DDR3

So now I'm deciding between the Ryzen 1200 and the 1300x. I'm also looking at used CPUs locally for used 6th/7th gen i5/i7. If DDR3 still isn't outdated, should I go for a 4th gen i5/i7? I'm not budget oriented, rather value orientated. Since I'm not in a rush to upgrade, I could wait for seasonal sales or a randomly cheap seller.

My current pricing guesses with the motherboards are:

-Ryzen 3: 250$

-i5 4690K: 300$

-i5 6500: 300$

-i5-6600K: 370$

-i7 5820k: 520$

Anything I can overclock, I guess I'll learn to do it. I'm not considering ram pricing because I can get them for free. I play games and that's about it.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

30 minutes ago, Huybean said:

I'm not considering ram pricing because I can get them for free.

Could you please get me some moar? DDR3 is fine for the moment. Also, no download links please.

46 minutes ago, Huybean said:

Currently, I'm running the FX-6100 on my Asus M5A78L which is outdated even if you don't consider the following:

-My SSD is SATA3 6Gb/s running on a SATA2 3Gb/s Mobo

-My GPU, the GTX 980, is overkill for this CPU (I gradually traded up from a GTX 460 which took about 7 trades and an extra 100$)

-There are 3 case fans for 1 fan header

-My case has a USB 3 header, without a plug on my Mobo

-I'm still on DDR3

So now I'm deciding between the Ryzen 1200 and the 1300x. I'm also looking at used CPUs locally for used 6th/7th gen i5/i7. If DDR3 still isn't outdated, should I go for a 4th gen i5/i7? I'm not budget oriented, rather value orientated. Since I'm not in a rush to upgrade, I could wait for seasonal sales or a randomly cheap seller.

My current pricing guesses with the motherboards are:

-Ryzen 3: 250$

-i5 4690K: 300$

-i5 6500: 300$

-i5-6600K: 370$

Anything I can overclock, I guess I'll learn to do it. I'm not considering ram pricing because I can get them for free. I play games and that's about it.

Let me know what you guys think I should do.

Ryzen is a pretty good choice at the moment, there's no need to go with something like 5820k if you are just gaming. You can also look into some 2nd hand option (for me I got my 4790k on ebay for like $300 CAD if I remember correctly, or this one for $200 https://www.kijiji.ca/v-computer-components/gatineau/intel-core-i5-4690k/1282555557?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true ), since you also need a new motherboard it might be a good idea to look for someone selling a combo of those, or depend on your luck, CPU and then get a mobo on amazon or smt. Dont worry too much about overclock, it's nice to have and you'd probably do it once, and then just leave it like that all the time. 

DDR3 is fine for now, it doesnt matter all that much for games anyway.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

32 minutes ago, Megazero said:

I'm actually planning to get an i5 4690k for 160$ if that's the route I take, the extra 140 would go to a motherboard, after tax and such.

The 5820k option was there because it seemed very cheap to me since that price also included the mother board. 

If DDR3 is still good then I might just take this route :D

1 hour ago, Dutch-stoner said:

Could you please get me some moar?

Sorry, it's a personal connection and I don't want to abuse it :P

1 hour ago, nerdslayer1 said:

go for ryzen 1600 

I would consider it if I needed multi-core workloads, but I don't. For that price range, I could find a faster i7 instead.

Just now, Huybean said:

I would consider it if I needed multi-core workloads, but I don't. For that price range, I could find a faster i7 instead.

1 hour ago, Huybean said:

i was giving you a better alternative to this, go for a 7700k if you can afford it. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

i was giving you a better alternative to this, go for a 7700k if you can afford it. 

Yeah, that 5820k just seemed insanely cheap to me, but maybe I'm just wrong

Just now, Huybean said:

Yeah, that 5820k just seemed insanely cheap to me, but maybe I'm just wrong

that's not cheap, you can get a ryzen 1600 for cheaper, and have the same performance. 

If you're value oriented, get an R5 1600 and a B350 board with some fast DDR4. Because you're completely wasting the value of your GTX 980 with an FX-6100. I wouldn't buy either of the R3 cpus. The R5 1600 really is worth the extra $90 vs the R3 1200, especially since you'd be leapfrogging the i5 in gaming performance right now and it'll age much better than an i5 also with the extra cores and threads. Hell, it might even age better than the quadcore i7 depending on what the next generation of consoles looks like (since they drive AAA game development). I'm personally not much of a fan of the R3 cpus for gaming since they perform around the level of the $80 Pentium G4560 (see the review Gamers Nexus did of the R3 cpus).

Nevermind. That i5 for $160CAD sounds great.

36 minutes ago, Huybean said:

What i7 are you getting for $200?

Shit nevermind, I didn't see your prices were in Canadian rupees. $160CAD for a 4690k sounds like a ridiculously good deal if you can find a good price on a Z97 board.