Is this good?

Go to solution Solved by Brooksie359,
Just now, Hereby said:

Alright, cool.  Also do you think my motherboard is ok (for both new cpu and future new gpu)?

looks fine to me. the only thing that i could see being a problem is if you get a new gpu that weighs a ton and it might sag in the pcie slot. just don't get the behemoth sized cards like some of the aftermarket 1080tis https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-LIGHTNING-Z.html#hero-overview. you see the size of the metal fins underneath the fans. its absolutely huge and would probably break a normal motherboards pcie slot with how heavy it must be. you everyday aftermarket cooler on something like a 1080 should be fine though.

Hey all, I built this PC about 3 years ago and I am looking to upgrade. I found a sweet deal on an i7 4790 and I want to make sure that my motherboard and power supply are ok.

Will the stock cpu cooler for my i5 be fine for an i7 4790?
Also I will be buying the GTX 1180 when it comes out next year. Will my 500 watt psu be enough?

My build: https://gyazo.com/0ecc07f5d9e94202eaa5d8af7a96a4fa

500w is enough, but I'd invest in a quality PSU first before throwing in a graphics card that's going to retail over 500usd. Would also get a Cryorig H7 since it's inexpensive and will curb stomp the crushed soda can Intel has the nerve to call a cooler.

My build doesn't draw more than 450w and my system takes lots more than yours (my specs are in my signature)

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

2 hours ago, Mooshi said:

500w is enough, but I'd invest in a quality PSU first before throwing in a graphics card that's going to retail over 500usd. Would also get a Cryorig H7 since it's inexpensive and will curb stomp the crushed soda can Intel has the nerve to call a cooler.

I have been using my PSU for 3 years my problem and I think it's good quality?

I just want to make sure that 500 watts is enough for that CPU and the GTX 1180 when it comes out.

Oh also should I get thermal paste?

Just now, Hereby said:

I have been using my PSU for 3 years my problem and I think it's good quality?

I just want to make sure that 500 watts is enough for that CPU and the GTX 1180 when it comes out.

i would highly recommend switching to a better psu before buy an new gpu like the gtx 1180 but it should be ok for now. your current psu has not the greatest voltage regulation and ripple suppression which can be hard on your hardware's vrm and cause them to fail faster.

2 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

i would highly recommend switching to a better psu before buy an new gpu like the gtx 1180 but it should be ok for now. your current psu has not the greatest voltage regulation and ripple suppression which can be hard on your hardware's vrm and cause them to fail faster.

Alright will do.  How many watts should I aim for?

Just now, Hereby said:

Alright will do.  How many watts should I aim for?

honestly would have to know what the power draw of the 1180 is. if you get a 550 watt or above I would imagine you would be fine but this is a conservative estimate.

honestly would have to know what the power draw of the 1180 is. if you get a 550 watt or above I would imagine you would be fine but this is a conservative estimate.

Alright, cool.  Also do you think my motherboard is ok (for both new cpu and future new gpu)?

Just now, Hereby said:

looks fine to me. the only thing that i could see being a problem is if you get a new gpu that weighs a ton and it might sag in the pcie slot. just don't get the behemoth sized cards like some of the aftermarket 1080tis https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-LIGHTNING-Z.html#hero-overview. you see the size of the metal fins underneath the fans. its absolutely huge and would probably break a normal motherboards pcie slot with how heavy it must be. you everyday aftermarket cooler on something like a 1080 should be fine though.

Awesome!  I appreciate the advice, thank you.

5 minutes ago, Hereby said:

I think a better way to put it is if you are buying a new gpu i would stick with the dual slot gpus not the ones that are basically 2.5 to 3 slot gpus.