Giving up on Ryzen

1 minute ago, Emberstone said:

Damn, that's pretty nasty. And yeah, I have to agree about their support. It isn't good (I got two damaged laptops from them in a row, and they would only accept returns and not an exchange, stopped buying laptops from them after. And they are barely understandable).

I just went with the Asus Prime B350 Plus since it had 8 USB ports. Lol.

Anyway, hopefully whatever you buy after (7700K, I assume?) works out for you. Sucks you had so many issues as Ryzen CPUs are legitimately good products.

I completely agree, the times when I can boot into windows and get some work done have been great. My transcode speeds are mental, gaming performance is well within acceptable to good and I absolutely love the price point. I would take another look down the line after AMD's new architecture matures. 

I remember how easy my EVGA Z97FTW and 4790k was to work with and expected some measure of that by this point with my current system. For reference check the OP link to the ROG forums. I posted a horribly shakes video of the 6minute long process to turn this thing on. To count power out of the mix I even picked up a sine wave UPS to ensure clean power delivery. 

2 minutes ago, Dlog said:

I completely agree, the times when I can boot into windows and get some work done have been great. My transcode speeds are mental, gaming performance is well within acceptable to good and I absolutely love the price point. I would take another look down the line after AMD's new architecture matures. 

I remember how easy my EVGA Z97FTW and 4790k was to work with and expected some measure of that by this point with my current system. For reference check the OP link to the ROG forums. I posted a horribly shakes video of the 6minute long process to turn this thing on. To count power out of the mix I even picked up a sine wave UPS to ensure clean power delivery. 

Asus CS is quite literally worse than no CS. They even are known to go out of their way to try to invalidate warranties.

Anyways... I did have some really annoying issues with my own x99 build at the start, but I'm 99% sure it's because my IMC is shit, and once I finally got it working well, it has been a rock.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

If I were you I would save the money and just buy a new mother board. I have an MSI x370 gaming pro carbon and ryzen 1700, posted on the first try, never had a boot issue. Overclocked to a modest but stable 3.7ghz @ 1.275v, its been nothing but good to me. There are definitely some issues floating around in certain bios versions though, mainly with overclocking and multipliers getting locked at 15x, i've never personally encountered any such issues. 

On 29/07/2017 at 0:49 AM, Dlog said:

After picking up a Ryzen 1700 and ASUS Crosshair VI Hero back in March I'm giving up on it. The constant cold boot problems, touchy overclocking have finally done me in. Time to sell this on craigslist and move on back to Intel.

I'm thinking that some of these problems still exist on the other side though. My old 4790k never gave me any greif and I feel like the grass was greener.

I have one question for those of you running current generation Intel. What quirks are you finding and what boards are you using? I just want to be able to press the power button and boot into windows without having to restart a system 30 times and wipe the BIOS. A 5 Ghz OC would be stellar as well.

Just a touch of everything I've been through with this thing:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1624603/rog-crosshair-vi-overclocking-thread (Giant thread of stuff)

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?93461-Sanity-Check-Boot-Failures&p=652081#post652081 (personal OC and regular boot Issues)

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?95003-Lockups-in-the-BIOS-menu&p=664556#post664556 (Nail in the coffin BIOS issues)

What's the cold boot issue ? 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

1 hour ago, Mythras said:

If I were you I would save the money and just buy a new mother board. I have an MSI x370 gaming pro carbon and ryzen 1700, posted on the first try, never had a boot issue. Overclocked to a modest but stable 3.7ghz @ 1.275v, its been nothing but good to me. There are definitely some issues floating around in certain bios versions though, mainly with overclocking and multipliers getting locked at 15x, i've never personally encountered any such issues. 

3.7ghz?

Damm, you bad silicone luck! My friends managed 3.8 and 3.9 but 4.0 is a no no for the non x.

Seems like I've lucked out with both the Motherboard and my CPU. My Ryzen 1600 does 4.195 GHz (so - basically 4.2 GHz), i never had any issues with the ASROCK AB350 Pro 4 (except Memory not getting up to more than 2400 MHz before AGESA 0.6) and even cold boot is freaking fast. It's about 5-8 Seconds on my NVMe SSD in to Windows. Although, since the agesa update, sometimes it stays a few seconds at the Bios Splash...

Why don't you try another Motherboard, before giving up so easy? Only issues i ever had with Asrock is a bad fan control and wonky sensors under Linux.

Good news everyone...!

33 minutes ago, TheGunzPT said:

3.7ghz?

Damm, you bad silicone luck! My friends managed 3.8 and 3.9 but 4.0 is a no no for the non x.

I  could make it go higher I just don't want to because I'm on the stock cooler, and I'd rather keep my voltage below 1.3v. 

1 minute ago, Mythras said:

I  could make it go higher I just don't want to because I'm on the stock cooler, and I'd rather keep my voltage below 1.3v. 

Ah makes sense! Thought you had really bad luck there

Both my 1600x and 1800x were a pleasure to build and I jumped in on day 1 both booted/posted without an issue, haha the only issues I've had were me being a newbie but got help here to resolve those issues, its a good platform and will only continue to get better my ram is at 3333Mhz stable now on my Crosshair

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

6 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

What's the cold boot issue ? 

the system will boot cycle a few times after loosing a power source (unplug). The system has a 50/50 boot to 24/40 where, 40 is quirky 24 is stable. Beyond that the system will boot and hang at 0d or 99 a few times and require a power cycle. Turning it on this morning took me 6 tries. 

I'm mostly here looking for recommendations from the Intel side and comments on any quirks experienced on that side of the house.

8 minutes ago, Dlog said:

the system will boot cycle a few times after loosing a power source (unplug). The system has a 50/50 boot to 24/40 where, 40 is quirky 24 is stable. Beyond that the system will boot and hang at 0d or 99 a few times and require a power cycle. Turning it on this morning took me 6 tries. 

I'm mostly here looking for recommendations from the Intel side and comments on any quirks experienced on that side of the house.

That's crazzy my bird dose not do that

only problem I have is off a cold boot sometimes it boots without oc

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

After a nightmarish bootup just now I'm firm on this jumping back to Intel Thing. I plan to pickup and install a new board, RMA this one after and sell it. 

I was looking into trying out the Aluminium line from EKWB, since they should be releasing the 360 radiator tomorrow I'm picking up the 240G and a 360 to go with the build. 

That said I'm looking to pick all of this up tomorrow and would love some last minute recommendations. 

(7700K, In Win 303, EKWB A240G with a 360, 2x8GB 3200 Trident Z RGB)

ASRock Fatal1ty Z270 Gaming K6

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157739

This Is my current pick out with a few things in mind.

• Overclocking
  • The In Win 303 has clearance issues with it's bottom fans and mounting IO on the bottom, everything mounts fine but USB3 sticks out and has to be unplugged. 
  • I would like one RGB header to brighten things up in sync (Theme is black and red).
  • QVL with Trident Z RGB
  • Good experience with ASRock server boards in the past

Anyone own this board and have any comments?

I appreciate everyone comments in this thread.

Small update: Parts ordered. (fingers crossed for a reasonable setup)

Arctic Silver 5

I7-7700K

960 Evo 250g

EKWB EK Fluid Gaming A240G

If delidding is a big a bump with this chip I might consider giving it a go. Not really shooting for 5.2 Ghz Happy with 4.9 but would prefer cooler temps. The tool looks simple and fairly safe. Comments?

Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of a single 240 aio for both GPU and CPU.

44 minutes ago, Dlog said:

I appreciate everyone comments in this thread.

Small update: Parts ordered. (fingers crossed for a reasonable setup)

Arctic Silver 5

I7-7700K

960 Evo 250g

EKWB EK Fluid Gaming A240G

If delidding is a big a bump with this chip I might consider giving it a go. Not really shooting for 5.2 Ghz Happy with 4.9 but would prefer cooler temps. The tool looks simple and fairly safe. Comments?

Delidding with the tool is fairly safe. I plan to get a delidding tool myself for my friends with a Ivy / Haswell CPU.

I do think a 240 AIO trying to cool a 7700K and a GPU is a bit undersized in my opinion

7 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

Hmmm, I'm not a big fan of a single 240 aio for both GPU and CPU.

I'ts just for the GPU for now. The CPU has a 360 AIO. I wanted to pick up an A360 for the loop but EKWB hasn't put them out yet.

Just now, Dlog said:

I'ts just for the GPU. The CPU has a 360 AIO. I wanted to pick up an A360 for the loop but EKWB hasn't put them out yet.

Then you should definitely delid it and crank that bitch to 5.2.  Let that big 360mm do some work.  High clocks are fun.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

2 minutes ago, Dlog said:

I'ts just for the GPU for now. The CPU has a 360 AIO. I wanted to pick up an A360 for the loop but EKWB hasn't put them out yet.

If you delid, please make sure to remove the adhesive from the IHS/ use liquid metal to get max performance.

5 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

If you delid, please make sure to remove the adhesive from the IHS/ use liquid metal to get max performance.

I just picked up the whole kit from Rockit Cool. Delid, relid, liquid metal, locktite. If all goes well perhaps I'll offer it as a service on craigslist and make some of my money back.

Just now, Dlog said:

I just picked up the whole kit from Rockit Cool. Delid, relid, liquid metal, locktite. If all goes well perhaps I'll offer it as a service on craigslist and make some of my money back.

That's pretty much what I plan to buy myself as well. I'm sad my friends can't OC at all because of thermals.

Haha, I actually considered doing the same, offering a cheap delidding service (I could also calibrate screens since I have a calibrator as well).

New system is in. Went with just the 240 rad while I wait on the 360 version (buyer of my old system wants the AIO). BitWit did a video with his 7700k OCD to 5Ghz and had decent temps with this cooler and a 1080 so I figured what the hell. Temps are good 28C CPU with no load 31C GPU no load. ~54C under prime 95 and ~45C Gaming. All in all, happy camper. 

Pictures below. Did a 2 hour leek test and I'm fairly comfy with the tubing. System is an absalute dream. Stable, quickly boots, OC was easy, everyrhting I wanted.

Had on fin quirk tho... the RGB ram that's on the QVL list only works if you put it in slots A1/B2, but dual Chanel is A2/B2 if i remember right.

Thanks again everyone. Pictures for fun. More once I cable manage and clean up tomorrow.

With z370 and six core i5 around the corner, I wouldnt bother getting the last top quad core at its highly inflated price. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Lol, why would you buy an Asus MBO??

Always go for Asrock.

12 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Lol, why would you buy an Asus MBO??

Always go for Asrock.

Originally it was the only board with AM3 mounting capability for my AIO, AM4 brackets were somewhat hard to get back then. 

I have r7 1700 and asrock b350 pro4 or whatever the heck they decided to call it NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Hell first pc build ever and it turned on no problem at all now im running at 3.4ghz on all cores...... at 1.0685volts yeah unvolted almost 0.15 volts and sitll over clocked by 400 mhz I seriously couldnt be happier. The reason why im saying this is that Im a early adopter and only had one issue that I later found out was due to a bad sata cable can't blame amd or asrock because it was MY sata cable xD. I would have posted a thread asking for help because its an AMAZING platform especially since amd plans to support it for zen2 (or so they say)