Video format Recommendation

I was reading an old thread about 1080p 60fps vs 4K and I need the communities input.

Im fixing to shoot a video and I need recommendations on format. I have a Galaxy S8 if that matters.

The video I plan on shooting is going to be of a Arm Wrestling match between me and my friend. Im looking for ultra detail but smoothness also. Im kinda leaning towards 1080p 60fps seeing that my computer monitor is only 1080p But 4K video gives off more of a fine detail compared to regular 1080p.

So what does the community recommend?

Personally I perfer 60fps over 4k, I have seen 4k videos and they're great and all that, but 30fps -> 60fps is a much greater jump than 1080P -> 4k.

4k 24fps. Just set the shutterspeed to 1/50s if you can. (Or the shutterangle to 180 degree.) 

No point of shooting 60fps imo. Its nothing fast moving and if you are not supposed to slow it down in post there is no point at all. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

4 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

4k 24fps. Just set the shutterspeed to 1/50s if you can. (Or the shutterangle to 180 degree.) 

Why? What if 180° won't give him the look he wants to achieve?

why not both? 4K 60 fps is best

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 hours ago, mrnapolean1 said:

I was reading an old thread about 1080p 60fps vs 4K and I need the communities input.

Im fixing to shoot a video and I need recommendations on format. I have a Galaxy S8 if that matters.

The video I plan on shooting is going to be of a Arm Wrestling match between me and my friend

I read just a bit farther past Galaxy S8 and decided to stop.

Since it's an arm wrestling match between you and your friend, why not have several matches and record in different formats and perhaps from different camera angles so that you can edit them together into a nice video.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

8 hours ago, .spider. said:

Why? What if 180° won't give him the look he wants to achieve?

I don't think he has a single clue about the different looks and most people tend to think that a 180 degree shutter looks best. He can of course do as he pleases but its basically standard to use a 180 degree. 

Is there a reason you wouldn't reccomend it, if so please enlighten us. 

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Maybe it's not suitable for the look he wants to achieve. Just setting the shutter speed to a value which is recommend by someone who doesn't know what he wants is never a good idea.

5 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

I don't think he has a single clue about the different looks and most people tend to think that a 180 degree shutter looks best. He can of course do as he pleases but its basically standard to use a 180 degree. 

Always start out with the 180 degree rule, though it doesn't matter if the shutter speed and frame rate matches (i.e. 360 rule).  But just like the rule of thirds for photography, a beginner should always start with some established basic rules before experimenting with something else.  And of course be consistent throughout.

But can any of these settings be customized in a Galaxy S8?

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Always start out with the 180 degree rule, though it doesn't matter if the shutter speed and frame rate matches (i.e. 360 rule).  But just like the rule of thirds for photography, a beginner should always start with some established basic rules before experimenting with something else.  And of course be consistent throughout.

Pretty much exakt my thought. If he has no clue the 180 degree is a good way to start. And I'm quite sure you can, if not I bet there is an app for it but the new phones have pretty sofisticated camera/video softwares. 

There exists app for it :)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

7 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Why do you underestimate beginners? 

On 7/28/2017 at 3:50 PM, AkiraDaarkst said:

I read just a bit farther past Galaxy S8 and decided to stop.

Since it's an arm wrestling match between you and your friend, why not have several matches and record in different formats and perhaps from different camera angles so that you can edit them together into a nice video.

Which one would you suggest?

10 hours ago, mrnapolean1 said:

Which one would you suggest?

I'm suggesting, instead of using one or the other why not use both?  Film some stuff in 4K 30 (scale down to 1080p), other stuff in 1080p60 (and slow down by 50% in post), and work in a 1080p timeline.

If for YouTube, I would suggest doing 1080p 60 and upscale to 4K in posts at exporting.

If fast moving stuff happens, 60 does look so much better than 30 in my opinion. I wish all movies was at least 50, but that would be to wish for too much.

Edited by Mihle

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 7/28/2017 at 10:08 AM, mrnapolean1 said:

Im kinda leaning towards 1080p 60fps seeing that my computer monitor is only 1080p

Keep in mind that if you're planning on uploading to Youtube, you'll still see more benefit from 4k outside of just downsampling. Bit rate is higher and there's possibly something to be said about it being closer to its original encoding.

Mostly the bit rate though.

With that said, you'd be able to get it to look nearly as nice if you recorded at 1080p and transcoded it to 4k afterwards, assuming the bit rate ends up higher than ~10-15 mbps (this is especially true if you're only able to use features like HDR at 1080p like my phone).

There's also an option of using something like Twixtor Pro to interpolate 4k footage to 60 fps. Although interpolation isn't necessarily something everyone prefers it'd definitely look smoother (although with its own downsides such as a longer final render time and certain artifacts).

It's also IRL footage so many users are more split on frame rate than something like gaming. Not everyone prefers higher than 24 fps (I most certainly do but not everyone does). I think this is more down to how many decades we've been used to it and not entirely down to things like natural motion blur but now I'm starting to derail.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit