MAPLINS, WHAT ARE YA DOIN

EnergyEclipse

"Maplins, because at least we're not Currys" is the saying I shall now live by dearly.

So I recently walked into a Maplin's store and as normal walked down the 'Computer components" aisle glaring into Corsair Carbides and admiring the hilarious prices of DDR2 RAM. But then I looked at the prices of a an ASUS Strix 1080 and my eyes kind of just fell out, rolled all the way to Currys and back again, pretty normal.

Maplins price: £759.99.

Currys PC World price, as with Scan UK (Note, they are the exact same, brand new cards, with no obviously advertised warranty bonus from either retailer): £621.99

Congratulations Currys! You have for once officially selling a product for a 'reasonable' price! xD

Maplin's also kind of just played themselves big times suppose since losing to Currys is like losing to your 94 year old grandfather in a 50m walking race... LEL

If you want more funny prices I have more should you so desire to hear of them... XXD

Edited by EnergyEclipse
I forget to grammar a lot as probably obvious

I once did the unthinkable, back many headphones ago...

I split an audio split, again

Interesting story.. :P 

Although it should be as a status update. :):P 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Interesting story.. :P 

Although it should be as a status update. :):P 

I partially agree but I seriously think given the kind of savings you get by taking a leap and buying from Currys for once is something I wish to share for once xD 

It takes a lot from me to recommend going anywhere other than Maplins if you want a physical store, especially since this is Currys were talking about lol :P

Let me tell you amazing pricing

PC has 1070 and 6700k at frys. found it retails for around 1.5k online. They had it for 650.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

Id didn't get it cause I've already got a good system but damn.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

5 minutes ago, Himommies said:

Look at Canadian Best Buys

You think Best Buy is bad at this point? You haven't seen everything yet lol

Maplins are now selling super generic 'RGB LED' 120mm gammax fans, which are 'Chinese eBay' quality for £18.99 (Note, these fans included just the fan and now accessories and the only lighting controls listed on the box were just solid red, green and blue colours), each. And guess what! You actually control the fan's 'RGB lighting' in any way shape or form without spending an extra £32 on a remote control. And I'm actually not joking at all on this which makes it worse XDD

Plus, no obvious retailer added warranties either to define the pricing any further.

Unless I somehow had to many blue smarties before I read the prices in store which is rather unlikely.

1 minute ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

Let me tell you amazing pricing

PC has 1070 and 6700k at frys. found it retails for around 1.5k online. They had it for 650.

Trolling isn't allowed on this forum...

maple and curry?

both delicious but i dont see how its relevant to technology

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

10 hours ago, Tsuki said:

maple and curry?

"Maplins" and "Currys PC World",  are both electrical apllinaces retailers . Currys is a online but have various superstores around the Uk, however is widely regarded as terrible, having undertrained staff in nearly every store and have had prices nearly always which do not introduce any sense they want to compete in price to performance graphs.

Maplins have a not regularly well updated online store but in store generally have better trained staff who are polite and have a really good selection for things like CCTV equipment and professional hobby electronic supplies. They also have a more enthusiast grade computer components.

Lel maple and curry XXD 

Holly shit Curries/pc world is "normal" price for once (still £30 less to buy online) which is massive as normally they are selling 1070s for 1080 prices. And maplin DDR2 RAM what's it at, cause their 16GB kit of DDR3L RAM last time as really well priced (£60 when online you could get it for £80-£90, no special offers etc. just a really well priced)

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

look IT Sale.se instead, FX 6300 and 750TI, $800.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

11 hours ago, Tsuki said:

maple and curry?

36 minutes ago, EnergyEclipse said:

"Maplins" and "Currys PC World",  are both electrical apllinaces retailers . Currys is a online but have various superstores around the Uk, however is widely regarded as terrible, having undertrained staff in nearly every store and have had prices nearly always which do not introduce any sense they want to compete in price to performance graphs.

Maplins have a not regularly well updated online store but in store generally have better trained staff who are polite and have a really good selection for things like CCTV equipment and professional hobby electronic supplies. They also have a more enthusiast grade computer components.

Lel maple and curry XXD 

by the price to preformance thing what is meant is a £150 laptop online etc. is sold in currys/PC world (both the same company now), for £250-£300 by people who couldn't tell the difference between a CPU, RAM, and a motherboard. One of which actually though that a desktop tower was called a monitor (I'm being serious here) so most people walk out with laptops with atom CPUs which will last them a year tops for £250, then get annoyed and complain about PCs cause they only last them a year before they are painfully slow because they were told to buy the wrong thing.

They once tried to sell me a "gaming PC" which was a core 2 duo + 4GB of RAM no GPU or anything like that for £400 it was worth £200 at the time

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

What is this? Curry? GTX 1080?

When I hear curry I think of spicy Indian food

CPU: Ryzen 2 2700@ 4.0Ghz    Mobo: Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7 Wifi    Cooler: EVGA CLC 240    GPU: GTX1080 FTW DT @ 2113Mhz   PSU: EVGA 750W P2   

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C   Displays: 34" LG34UC79G, 24" Dell

1 minute ago, MilfShake said:

What is this? Curry? GTX 1080?

When I hear curry I think of spicy Indian food

Indian food + 1080 = awesomeness. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

4 hours ago, Zando Bob said:

Indian food + 1080 = awesomeness. 

A. -. Flipping. -. Greed.

Gotta get frame rates just as spicy as those onion bhajis!

1 minute ago, EnergyEclipse said:

A. -. Flipping. -. Greed.

Gotta get frame rates just as spicy as those onion bhajis!

Yup. And that tasty curry with rice and that awesome naan bread stuff..... 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

I point blank refuse to use either store now , its akin to being mugged by someone perky then told to have a nice day