overclocking my i7700k

Go to solution Solved by Daniel644,

DELID, DON'T USE A KNIFE, spend the money on the GOOD delidding tool (remember you can resell to someone else wanting to delid after you do yours) and when you delid use Liquid Metal TIM NOT regular TIM, basically DO NOT DO ANYTHING LINUS DID in his video on delidding a 6700k. if you don't want to delid then you need to start with a FULL CUSTOM LOOP water cooling setup to keep the temps in check to try to push a high overclock like that safely. if you do overclock you might as well delid though since you are already voiding the warranty just by overclocking.

hi there am look to overclock my cpu am on 4.5 at mo is it worth it to get to 5 would i notice it and how hard is it any vids and tip welcome 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i suggest you delid before OC 

1484857165b9Q0qmS6fl_1_6.png.e124e65297d1d5109beaf71c3e0bd4cf.png

wow am a complete nooob lol 

Just now, thomas3010 said:

wow am a complete nooob lol 

dont delid it, please. it voids your warranty and is not 100% safe. 

however, i doubt youll be getting to 5.0 without it, but still, the voltages required for an overclock that high would damage your chip overtime, anyways. i recommend getting as high as you can with 1.35v

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

if done properly it's safe, Intel screwed up with the 7700k. 

3 minutes ago, thomas3010 said:

hi there am look to overclock my cpu am on 4.5 at mo is it worth it to get to 5 would i notice it and how hard is it any vids and tip welcome 

I delidded mine, have a Noctua D15 and can still only get it to 4.8 and pass stress tests.  There is a difference in scores for benchmarks while overclocked, but honestly, the thing runs HOT and may not be worth messing with if you just want to play games.  Bottom line, it is still a fast processor with no OC. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

if done properly it's safe, Intel screwed up with the 7700k. 

yes, but the warranty is more important for a lot of people, especially if youre overvolting a lot

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

however, i doubt youll be getting to 5.0 without it, but still, the voltages required for an overclock that high would damage your chip overtime, anyways. i recommend getting as high as you can with 1.35v

and good vids on how to do this and would i even notice 

Just now, Nickathom said:

yes, but the warranty is more important for a lot of people, especially if youre overvolting a lot

OC also voids the warranty, how many people actually use CPU warranty?  if properly kept a CPU will outlast all component in a PC. 

Just now, thomas3010 said:

and good vids on how to do this and would i even notice 

there are lots of vids online and theyre easy to find. you basically take a thin knife and jam it under the metal piece until it comes off

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

OC also voids the warranty, how many people actually use CPU warranty?  if properly kept a CPU will outlast all component in a PC. 

i think there is a special overclocking warranty offered by intel, correct me if im wrong

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

*raises hand meekly*

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

i think there is a special overclocking warranty offered by intel, correct me if im wrong

oh not to de lid just overclock

2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

not sure if OP bought warranty but

WARNING: 
Altering clock frequency and/or voltage may: (i) reduce system stability and useful life of the system and processor; (ii) 
cause the processor and other system components to fail; (iii) cause reductions in system performance; (iv) cause additional heat or other 
damage; and (v) affect system data integrity. Intel has not tested, and does not warranty, the operation of the processor beyond its 
specifications. Intel assumes no responsibility that the processor, including if used with altered clock frequencies and/or voltages, will be 
fit for any particular purpose.
EXTENT OF LIMITED WARRANTY
Intel does not warrant that the Product will be free from design defects or errors known as “errata.” Current characterized errata are avail
-
able upon request. Further, this Limited Warranty does NOT cover: 
• any costs associated with the repair or replacement of the Product including labor, installation or other costs incurred by you, and in 
particular, any costs relating to the removal or replacement of any Product that is soldered or otherwise permanently affixed to any 
printed circuit board; 
OR
• damage to the Product due to external causes, including accident, problems with electrical power, abnormal electrical, mechanical or 
environmental conditions, usage not in accordance with product instructions, misuse, neglect, alteration, repair, improper installation, 
or improper testing; 
OR
• any Product which has been modified or operated outside of Intel’s publicly available specifications or where the original identifica
-
tion markings (trademark or serial number) has been removed, altered or obliterated from the Product.

Just now, knightslugger said:

*raises hand meekly*

for defective CPU or another reason? 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

for defective CPU or another reason? 

why not both?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

why not both?

i was asking for a reason, CPUs are usually a very safe part to get 2nd hand long as they work, especially for LGA 

i was asking for a reason, CPUs are usually a very safe part to get 2nd hand long as they work, especially for LGA 

well when the "defect" isn't anything physical, but you pushed it hard and can't tell the difference between VRM failure or CPU failure... it's hard to know the difference.

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

well when the "defect" isn't anything physical, but you pushed it hard and can't tell the difference between VRM failure or CPU failure... it's hard to know the difference.

back to topic, my point still stands de-lidding a 7700k is a good idea, kinda Intel fault for using shitty TIM. 

DELID, DON'T USE A KNIFE, spend the money on the GOOD delidding tool (remember you can resell to someone else wanting to delid after you do yours) and when you delid use Liquid Metal TIM NOT regular TIM, basically DO NOT DO ANYTHING LINUS DID in his video on delidding a 6700k. if you don't want to delid then you need to start with a FULL CUSTOM LOOP water cooling setup to keep the temps in check to try to push a high overclock like that safely. if you do overclock you might as well delid though since you are already voiding the warranty just by overclocking.

My [RoccetCool88?] delidder was awesome. Still have it! Would love to send it to someone in need as i don't see myself needing it again anytime soon.

System specs:

My [RoccetCool88?] delidder was awesome. Still have it! Would love to send it to someone in need as i don't see myself needing it again anytime soon.

were are you am in uk 

I'm in the US. rather long haul...

System specs:

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

I'm in the US. rather long haul...

yeah lol