Video with my DSLR just starting out

so I got a Canon 100d aka Rebel SL1 for under $300 Apparently it's the little brother of the rebel T5i and idk if it's buyers remorse or what but I chose canon over nikon because I wanted better video but honestly video isnt looking that great even the outside footage. My ISO is set at 100 and shutter speed at 60 perhaps it's meant for stills instead of moving video. What am I doing wrong? also im using the 18-55mm kit lens if that helps

Do you know what resolution your shooting at? 

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

Did you buy second hand? If so did you get the sensor cleaned/looked at? Or do you know when that last happened? Could you possibly upload a short video so I could have a look?

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Just now, liamdoyle27 said:

Did you buy second hand? If so did you get the sensor cleaned/looked at? Or do you know when that last happened? Could you possibly upload a short video so I could have a look?

yes I bought seond hand because I wasnt aboutta drop $500 on a camera from 2013 and idk about the sensor thing and yeah ill upload a short vid and tag u

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

yes I bought seond hand because I wasnt aboutta drop $500 on a camera from 2013 and idk about the sensor thing and yeah ill upload a short vid and tag u

I would go to a camera shop and just ask them to have a look at it for you, you can try yourself, Peter Mckinnon on YouTube has a great channel all about video, and he recently uploaded a video about sensor cleaning - Here is the video: 

Bow down to me humans.

Allright, Your sensor looks fine as does the video, but it doesn't seem to be shooting in crisp HD. It might just be the age of the camera. In all honesty I would just sit down with the camera and just play around with the settings. You have a good frame rate, and the player sais you are shooting in 1080 (through that doesn't mean you are maybe lower the frame rate and see what that looks like)

Edited by Spotty

Bow down to me humans.

1 minute ago, liamdoyle27 said:

Allright, Your sensor looks fine as does the video, but it doesn't seem to be shooting in crisp HD. It might just be the age of the camera. In all honesty I would just sit down with the camera and just play around with the settings. You have a good frame rate, and the player sais you are shooting in 1080 (through that doesn't mean you are maybe lower the frame rate and see what that looks like)

did you set the video to 1080p? http://prntscr.com/g0drkr

It does say that, but it does not look like 1080

Bow down to me humans.

It also might be compressed

Bow down to me humans.

1 minute ago, VenomZ_ said:

perhaps 

what file format is it coming out in?

Bow down to me humans.

I'm just trying to upload a small clip so you can see what mine is like, but how big is a 1minite file?

Bow down to me humans.

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

334mb

don't think that's compressed, mine is around the same

Bow down to me humans.

Just now, VenomZ_ said:

damn yours looks much better than mine what camera and lens  you using

I think your just looking at yours wrong. It still looks lovely. Very crisp.

I'm using a NIKON D3300 and a 18-55ml lens, which is ok, but uses the camera for af, so I'm looking at a 12-55 SIGMA

oh, and i'm using the RODE VideoMicPro for audio

Bow down to me humans.

Just now, liamdoyle27 said:

I think your just looking at yours wrong. It still looks lovely. Very crisp.

I'm using a NIKON D3300 and a 18-55ml lens, which is ok, but uses the camera for af, so I'm looking at a 12-55 SIGMA

oh, and i'm using the RODE VideoMicPro for audio

hmm what's your iso aperture and shutter speed? the camera you have is around the same quality as mine

7 minutes ago, VenomZ_ said:

hmm what's your iso aperture and shutter speed? the camera you have is around the same quality as mine

I shoot in "P" (so I set the ISO, then it decides the shutter speed)

I have it set to an ISO of 200 and I film at 1080 at 50FPS

Bow down to me humans.

First the focus seems of quite a bit. Which has to do with the AF. Try learning to MF in some situations. Secondly the bit rate may be the issue. If its very low the image will not be amazing. However that should probably not be the issue. (But make sure you have it set to the highest bitrate in camera). 

Also the aperture can be an issue, if it is very low there will be a shallow dof and if you missed your focus, nothing will look sharp. You will just have to try and see what works but make sure you know how every setting will effect the final look. That will make your life so much easier when troubelshooting what works, and what doesn't work. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

Don't by Canon if you want video quality.

Sony and Panasonic are miles ahead.

Sony or Panasonic would have been more expensive too.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking